Another Intro

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      Well, since there seems to be a recent trend of lurkers making
      introductions, I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon.

      I've recently become addicted to joining Yahoo groups for the sake of
      receiving entertaining diversions in my inbox during boring days at
      the office. I added this one to the mix a few weeks ago because of my
      impatience for the new Nightrunner book.

      I'm Heather, I live in Austin, TX, and I'm an avid reader and
      somewhat serious writer who reluctantly works in customer service for
      a paycheck. I read the Nightrunner books a few years back when I had
      run out of good fantasy to read and a friend of mine gave me the
      following questionable recommendation:

      "You should read Flewelling. She's got a pretty good story if you
      don't mind all that guy on guy crap. Well, and the writing gets a lot
      better after the first one."

      So I bought all three and was instantly hooked, in spite of my
      friend's complaints. He's a New Yorker, he can't help it. Then last
      winter while I had a cold, I finally got all of the Tamir books and
      read those, too, and I love that story even more than the Nightrunner
      books. I'm really looking forward to Shadows Return, though, for more
      reasons than one. First, I can't wait to see what those crazy boys
      get themselves into next. Second, I need an excuse to procrastinate
      on my own novel for a few days! It's currently undergoing a BRUTAL
      edit at the mercy of my purple pen.

      Anyway... greetings all! Glad to be here.

      Heather
    • Tenshi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        Welcome
        .... I know all too well about writing procrastination. I've put
        myself on something of a ban on casual reading...although..I haven't
        defined what is casual and what is not because I've suddenly found
        reading news my new past time, even though there is but so much that
        can happen in a day.

        I've recommended the books to one friend of mines and I didn't warn
        him about that, I didn't even think about it. i'm unfazed by years of
        fan fiction reading. If people worry about such things they are
        really missing out. Surprisingly I remembered the novels by name and
        author. I can count the number of novels and authors I can remember
        by name and only half of them I can correctly match book to writer.

        As much as I read and taking writing seriously, I'm famous for
        reading a book and forgetting the name and author of the book. I'll
        remember the characters, favorite lines and parts, the whole story,
        but then I'll forget the author and or the title. I refer to the
        author of Harry Potter as the "Harry Potter Chick". I think because
        most of the time I'll read a bunch of novels by a bunch of people,
        none that are related in anyway and as soon as I put that book down
        there is another one in my hands. Almost everytime I go to the
        library I'm asking the librarian to find a book without knowing the
        title, author or section of the library from where it would be
        found. The last 4 trilogies I've kept up with them via the recipt
        list of the last books I checked out. Craziness...I know.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
          Got the same problem...luckily i buy most fantasy novels... ( thx to
          your lousy government the dollar got so weak that books sell between
          4 and 9 euros) so i don'T have the problem with looking up the names.

          another uh.. well queerness of mine is that i sometimes read the name
          of a protagonist the way I like. Sometimes it's only skipping a
          letters but sometimes my brain twists the whole name into something
          remotely related other name. e.g seregil always was sergil for me,
          until.. well until years and years ago Lynn posted on this group how
          he's properly pronounced and only then did I realize my mistake.

          I remember having to give a talk in school, and the whole time i was
          talking about Elenoreth, even though her actual name was plainly
          Elizabeth. Gosh that took me some time to explain that to the teacher
          *lol*

        • lynn.flewelling
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Tenshi" <tenshinokoi@...> wrote:

            > Welcome
            > .... I know all too well about writing procrastination.

            Oy. Me too. And it's always worse at the beginning of a project. I'm currently reading "The
            Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play"
            by Neil Fiore, PhD. I'm only a few chapters in (Keep procrastinating) but the chapter certainly
            pegged my habits.

            Lynn
          • Heather
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
              My recent favorite form of procrastination is to pretend that my
              procrastination is actually work. For instance, night before last, I
              knew I needed to be working on my editing... so instead I curled up
              on the couch with a book about editing.

              This is the reason some people have published works and I don't.

              It could also be that my writing sucks, but if I keep
              procrastinating, I will never get to find out which it really is...

              Heather

              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn.flewelling"
              <lbflewelling2@...> wrote:

              > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Tenshi" <tenshinokoi@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Welcome
              > > .... I know all too well about writing procrastination.
              >
              > Oy. Me too. And it's always worse at the beginning of a project.
              I'm currently reading "The
              > Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and
              Enjoying Guilt-Free Play"
              > by Neil Fiore, PhD. I'm only a few chapters in (Keep
              procrastinating) but the chapter certainly
              > pegged my habits.
              >
              > Lynn

            • Addie Underwood
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
                hee hee. I mispronounced his name the whole first time through. I think I was saying ser-ih-gull. It wasn't until the second time I read it that I really caught the HE says how to pronounce it. Right in like the second chapter he phonetically sounds it out for Alec. heh.

                Addie

                ,___