Re: [Flewelling] Book Plated

  • Adriana Micale
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2008
      Thanks all. So do you print them off on sticker paper of do i just print them off on normal paper glue them onto the book?ADRIANA

      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2008
        Adriana,

        No, you don't need to print them off (though I suppose if you wanted to customize your own you could design and print one on sticker paper). Lynn would have copies of hers, otherwise bookstores often carry them and you can buy some(sometimes single sometimes in a pack, depends on the store), they are also pretty common at book clubs and bookfairs.

        Addie

        Thanks all. So do you print them off on sticker paper of do i just print them off on normal paper glue them onto the book?ADRIANA

        A bookplate is basically a sicker the author signs and you stick inside your book wherever you'd like the signature. Often they look like a tall rectagular nametag with a design where the "hello my name is.." would be, in Lynn's case the Otter design she selected.

        An image of Lynn's otter bookplate is on her art site on her webpage.

        Addie

        I have to say I too don't know what a bookplate is. So you won't be the only one who gets teased. But I looked into it and found a description.

        From Wikipedia:
        A bookplate, also known as ex-librīs [Latin, "from the books of..."], is usually a small print or decorative label pasted into a book, often on the inside front cover, to indicate its owner. Simple typographical bookplates are termed 'booklabels' .

        Bookplates typically bear a name, motto, device, coat-of-arms, crest, badge, or any motif that relates to the owner of the book, or is requested by him from the artist or designer. The name of the owner usually follows an inscription such as "from the books of . . . " or "from the library of . . . ", or in Latin, ex libris ....

        In the United States, bookplates replaced book rhymes after the 19th century.

        sincerly, Anke

        > Thanks for this opportunity Lynn but i have a question
        >
        > I know that i ask this with a risk of being teased, but i'll ask
        > anyway...
        > what is a bookplate and where can i get them???
        > Please don't laugh at me!!
        >
        > ThankyouADRIANA

      • lynn.flewelling
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2008
          Hmmm. If book plates don't exist in some other countries, I can lay in a stock here and
          send those when I run out of the otter ones.

          Lynn