Re: carol berg

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@...> wrote:

      > since Lynn's book will not be ready by then.... uh..
      > yeah ;D anyone?
      >
      > noerml

      Only 6 months now. :-)

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Harlib" <aharlib@...> wrote:

        > aharlib@...
        > Carol Berg is a fine writer. I have all her books and recommend anything by
        > her.
        > Amy

        And a very nice lady, too.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
          well thx Tawariel, but thing is.. i did that a couple of times. same
          with ebay. I am quite positive that I do know how to check the
          unsubscribe box, but to no avail *sigh*

          well any specific info on that specific book. as i see the "flesh and
          spirit" book is a trilogy or series of some sort as well? Is it also
          about uh..friendship like the Rai-Kirah series?.

          > Only 6 months now. :-)

          Well Lynn.... I know how to keep a secret or
          two. In fact i am good at keeping many secrets, like... 100.000 secrets
          or however many words in that new book :)
          Oh.. semester break starts in like 4 weeks.. so better get that parcel
          on it's way! *smirk* :D

          noerml
        • Rachel Dunne
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
            *delurks*

            I enjoyed "Flesh and Spirit" more than I enjoyed the Rai-Kirah series (which
            I didn't finish; it just didn't interest me as much as Carol's other books).
            F&S is the first book of the Lighthouse Duet; the second book, "Breath and
            Bone," just came out recently, and it's at the veeeery top of my
            next-to-read list, right after I finish "The Book of Joby" (which, on a
            side note, is a truly WONDERFUL book; anyone here read it?).

            In short, I'd reccommed "Flesh and Spirit" to anyone who asked; it's one of
            those books where there are really no clear-cut "good guys" or "bad guys;"
            everyone's a little bit of both, and there are so many shades of gray. I
            suppose you could say it's about friendship...though, really, I'd say it's
            more about trust or how one's past can come back to haunt one. The
            characters are wonderful and VERY easy to fall in love with, and the
            worldbuilding is excellent, as is the magic system... A generally wonderful
            book. My second-favorite of Carol's, beaten only by "The Song of The Beast."

            Hmm...didn't intend for this to be so long. But...hope it helps?

            -Rachel

            *relurks*

            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@...> wrote:

            > well thx Tawariel, but thing is.. i did that a couple of times. same
            > with ebay. I am quite positive that I do know how to check the
            > unsubscribe box, but to no avail *sigh*
            >
            > well any specific info on that specific book. as i see the "flesh and
            > spirit" book is a trilogy or series of some sort as well? Is it also
            > about uh..friendship like the Rai-Kirah series?.
            >
            > > Only 6 months now. :-)
            >
            > Well Lynn.... I know how to keep a secret or
            > two. In fact i am good at keeping many secrets, like... 100.000 secrets
            > or however many words in that new book :)
            > Oh.. semester break starts in like 4 weeks.. so better get that parcel
            > on it's way! *smirk* :D
            >
            > noerml

          • Jessica Fisher
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
              I recently read "Flesh and Spirit" and enjoyed it -- in fact I ordered
              "Breath and Bone" and just received it the other day, but it has to wait
              until I finish the other (not fantasy) book I'm reading. I picked up "Flesh
              and Spirit" off the shelf at my local library -- I was a bit skeptical
              because I have mixed feelings about Carol Berg. I loved the first book in
              the Rai-Kirah trilogy, but didn't like the second as much and didn't like
              the third as much as the second. I didn't like "Song of the Beast" at all.
              That said, I really liked "Flesh and Spirit." If my understanding is
              correct, "Breath and Bone" is the conclusion to "Flesh and Spirit." "Flesh
              and Spirit" gets bonus points IMO for the following: (1) it's largely set in
              a monastery, (2) the main character is kind of a bad boy, (3) it contains
              some really interesting characters, and (4) it deals with addiction.
              Plot-wise, amazon can probably tell you better than I can what it's about
              without spoiling anything. It is kind of apocalyptic, and like Rachel said
              it's hard to tell who are the "good guys" and who are the "bad guys." In
              any case of the three fantasy novels I picked up at the library that day, it
              was by far the best, and the only one that I would buy a copy of and put on
              my "reread" list.

              Jessica

              On 1/13/08, Rachel Dunne <kungfublu2@...> wrote:

              > *delurks*
              >
              > I enjoyed "Flesh and Spirit" more than I enjoyed the Rai-Kirah series
              > (which
              > I didn't finish; it just didn't interest me as much as Carol's other
              > books).
              > F&S is the first book of the Lighthouse Duet; the second book, "Breath and
              > Bone," just came out recently, and it's at the veeeery top of my
              > next-to-read list, right after I finish "The Book of Joby" (which, on a
              > side note, is a truly WONDERFUL book; anyone here read it?).
              >
              > In short, I'd reccommed "Flesh and Spirit" to anyone who asked; it's one
              > of
              > those books where there are really no clear-cut "good guys" or "bad guys;"
              > everyone's a little bit of both, and there are so many shades of gray. I
              > suppose you could say it's about friendship...though, really, I'd say it's
              > more about trust or how one's past can come back to haunt one. The
              > characters are wonderful and VERY easy to fall in love with, and the
              > worldbuilding is excellent, as is the magic system... A generally
              > wonderful
              > book. My second-favorite of Carol's, beaten only by "The Song of The
              > Beast."
              >
              > Hmm...didn't intend for this to be so long. But...hope it helps?
              >
              > -Rachel
              >
              > *relurks*
              >
              > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com>, "noerml"
              > <noerml@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > well thx Tawariel, but thing is.. i did that a couple of times. same
              > > with ebay. I am quite positive that I do know how to check the
              > > unsubscribe box, but to no avail *sigh*
              > >
              > > well any specific info on that specific book. as i see the "flesh and
              > > spirit" book is a trilogy or series of some sort as well? Is it also
              > > about uh..friendship like the Rai-Kirah series?.
              > >
              > > > Only 6 months now. :-)
              > >
              > > Well Lynn.... I know how to keep a secret or
              > > two. In fact i am good at keeping many secrets, like... 100.000 secrets
              > > or however many words in that new book :)
              > > Oh.. semester break starts in like 4 weeks.. so better get that parcel
              > > on it's way! *smirk* :D
              > >
              > > noerml

            • Terie
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Dunne" <kungfublu2@...>
                wrote:

                > *delurks*
                >
                > I enjoyed "Flesh and Spirit" more than I enjoyed the Rai-Kirah
                series (which
                > I didn't finish; it just didn't interest me as much as Carol's
                other books).

                More proof that everyone is different. :-D For me, TRANSFORMATION,
                the first book in Rai-Kirah, is one of my very VERY favourite fantasy
                books. I loved that series and was held in total thrall by it. I
                really liked the Bridge of D'Arnath series, but not as much as Rai-
                Kirah.

                That said, I'm waiting to read Carol's new duology until BREATH AND
                BONE arrives. In many cases, I buy the books of authors I love when
                they come out, but don't read them until the last book in the series
                is out.

                Funny story about that, and relevant to Our Gracious Host. When I got
                to the end of the second Tamir book, I gasped out loud (literally out
                loud, not figuratively) and started to freak out a little...until I
                remembered that book 3 was upstairs on the bookshelf. :-)

                Terie
              • cheri watson
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                  We are indeed all different! When I first saw the post concerning Carol Berg, I recognized the name favorably, and knew I liked her books. It wasn't until I looked at the books that I knew I hadn't read "Flesh and Spirit" or remembered the stories, though. That does not happen when I hear, for example, Lynn Flewelling and not only remember the stories, but Seregil and Alec or Brother. Some other examples are Will and Gaston, Cal and Pell, Daemon, Lucivar, Saetan and Jaenelle, or even Zed, Nathan and Hattie. I truly love it when the characters take on a life that extends beyond the end of the books. That takes incredible talent on the part of the author!

                  Terie <terie@...> wrote: --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Dunne" <kungfublu2@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                    Cheri, that is really interesting. I feel the same way -- if I don't
                    remember anything about the characters later, it's not going to be on my
                    favorites list. I do remember Seyonne and Aleksander from "Transformation"
                    (first of Rai-Kirah trilogy) quite well. In fact, what I didn't like about
                    the later part of the trilogy was that those two characters didn't have
                    nearly as much interaction as in the first book. I thought their
                    relationship was really intriguing and was disappointed that the books then
                    followed Seyonne with other characters instead. I couldn't even tell you
                    the name of any characters from "Song of the Beast" though. I'm curious
                    where all your memorable characters are from -- I don't recognize a lot of
                    them. For me, the characters I remember the most are from the books that I
                    read over and over and over -- how could I forget after reading them so many
                    times? My memorable characters include Seregil and Alec, Tobin and Brother,
                    Phedre and Joscelin (Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series), Harry, Ron, and
                    Hermione (do I even need to mention where they are from?), Will and Bran
                    (Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" series), Fitz and the Fool (Robin
                    Hobb's "Farseer" and "Tawny Man" trilogies), and the most recent addition of
                    Felix and Mildmay (Sarah Monette's "Melusine" series).

                    I'm constantly on the lookout for new authors whose books I will like.
                    Unfortunately I have extremely picky tastes in fantasy and dislike quite a
                    lot of authors other people say are great. I do have to say that the most
                    important thing that will make me like or dislike a book is how I feel about
                    the characters.

                    Jessica

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                      The end of restauration is probably one of the best endings I ever read.

                      "He looked back once and raised his hand 'be healed, my guardian, and
                      happy.'
                      And i called after him. 'be wise, my king, and glorious'."

                      (hm.. this doesn't sound very good without the context *lol*

                      I just loved Alexander and Seyonne... Carol has a hand for good
                      sentences IMO. Plot wise there are quite some weeknesses. But ever so
                      often you stumble over a line... some words and I marvel at the way she
                      put that, like Lynn has this talent for small, and seemingly
                      unimportant details. Also the friendship between alexander and Seyonne
                      really warmed my heart.

                      ah well.. so i'll order it then! ;-)

                      ty folks

                      PS: on the topic of translations.... funds and time is the main issue.
                    • laura Flocker
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                        Hi...

                        OK - I, too LOVE Will and Gaston...
                        and, of course, Seregil and Alec...
                        but who are Cal and Pell?
                        and Zed, Nathan and Hattie?

                        I'm dying to know of these pairs that I have never heard of!

                        I just re-read Matelots for the 3rd or 4th time... and I'm having
                        trouble waiting for the next adventures of Seregil/Alec and Gaston/Will.

                        Thanks,
                        Laura

                        On Jan 14, 2008, at 7:55 AM, cheri watson wrote:

                        > We are indeed all different! When I first saw the post concerning
                        > Carol Berg, I recognized the name favorably, and knew I liked her
                        > books. It wasn't until I looked at the books that I knew I hadn't
                        > read "Flesh and Spirit" or remembered the stories, though. That
                        > does not happen when I hear, for example, Lynn Flewelling and not
                        > only remember the stories, but Seregil and Alec or Brother. Some
                        > other examples are Will and Gaston, Cal and Pell, Daemon, Lucivar,
                        > Saetan and Jaenelle, or even Zed, Nathan and Hattie. I truly love
                        > it when the characters take on a life that extends beyond the end
                        > of the books. That takes incredible talent on the part of the author!
                        >
                        > Terie <terie@...> wrote: --- In
                        > Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Dunne" <kungfublu2@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > *delurks*
                        > >
                        > > I enjoyed "Flesh and Spirit" more than I enjoyed the Rai-Kirah
                        > series (which
                        > > I didn't finish; it just didn't interest me as much as Carol's
                        > other books).
                        >
                        > More proof that everyone is different. :-D For me, TRANSFORMATION,
                        > the first book in Rai-Kirah, is one of my very VERY favourite fantasy
                        > books. I loved that series and was held in total thrall by it. I
                        > really liked the Bridge of D'Arnath series, but not as much as Rai-
                        > Kirah.
                        >
                        > That said, I'm waiting to read Carol's new duology until BREATH AND
                        > BONE arrives. In many cases, I buy the books of authors I love when
                        > they come out, but don't read them until the last book in the series
                        > is out.
                        >
                        > Funny story about that, and relevant to Our Gracious Host. When I got
                        > to the end of the second Tamir book, I gasped out loud (literally out
                        > loud, not figuratively) and started to freak out a little...until I
                        > remembered that book 3 was upstairs on the bookshelf. :-)
                        >
                        > Terie

                      • Ashley Reale
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                          Pell and Cal are from Storm Constantine's Wratheu Series. Worth checking
                          out, a little convoluted but all in all interesting.
                        • cheri watson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 15, 2008
                            Ashley is correct...Cal and Pell are from Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series. The first 3 books (written in the 90's) were very good, but the latest 3, the Wraeththu Histories, were amazing.

                            Zed, Nathan and Hattie are from Terry Goodkind's epic. I did not really care for the two main characters, but the story was very good, and Zed, Hattie and Nathan made the whole series wonderful. They not only acted unpredictably, they were incredibly funny.