Re: [Flewelling] A question

  • Speaker to Cats
    Message 1 of 73 , Dec 29, 2007
      Well, magic or mystical?
      The mystical I believe in,
      especially when like my fiancee lays out a tarot reading
      that leads to uncovering a 26 thousand dollar embezzlement
      or can tell me my friend has cancer a week before the doctors told him.
      And I not even touch on weird stuff involving my birthland of Fiji.

      Speaker-to-Cats

      Yudhanjaya Wijeratne wrote:

      > I know I'm not exactly an 'in community' guy. Truth is, I don't havce
      > Internet at home, so I get to log onto the group once in a blue moon.
      > But I have a question for you. Do you believe in magic? At least, if
      > magic could exist, would you believe? And what would you beleieve in,
      > magic of words and rhymes or magic of thought?

    • Penny Bamborough
      Message 73 of 73 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hmm, do I believe in magic ?

        I like to in the context of a book or story, after all one of the
        reasons I read fantasy is the ease in which I can suspend my belief
        in the known world and immerse myself in the fantasy world created by
        the author.

        Mind you, magic is not just the realm of fantasy authors, look at the
        number of sc-fi stories that attribute people with 'special powers'
        which could, in a way, be classed as magic. I always loved Anne
        Mcaffrey's pegasus books for providing the explanation of the human
        mind developing the ability to manipulate matter on the quantum
        level, hence explaining the myriad of 'special powers' that her characters had.

        Personally, I always hold out hope that someone, somewhere will turn
        up with magic/special powers, however the professional sceptic in me
        doubts that I shall live to see the day. Mind you, I can often have
        some bouts of very strong deja-vu experiences that always leave me wondering.

        A belated new year to you all.

        Penny