Bantam Cover Art for Shadows Return!

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
      You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when I get a chance.
      http://otterdance.livejournal.com/

      I am a Very Happy Author!
    • Adrianne Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
        Very nice!

        Adrianne

        On 03/12/2007, lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:
        > You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when I get a chance.
        > http://otterdance.livejournal.com/
        >
        > I am a Very Happy Author!

      • Liz James
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
          EGADS. This just makes me really, REALLY want the book. As in . . .
          OH THE WANT. THE TREMENDOUS WANT. Also, I hadn't heard the blurb for
          it yet, either, s the back cover? Pretty much just as exciting as the
          front cover. Massive, tremendous LOVE.
          Liz

          On Dec 3, 2007 4:54 PM, lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:
          > You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when I get a chance.
          > http://otterdance.livejournal.com/
          >
          > I am a Very Happy Author!

          Intelligence does not equal sanity. Or competency.
        • Iona Bartlett
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
            Oooh I like!

            Not quite my mental image of Seregil but not too far off either. However, I must admit that my first thought on seeing it was 'Those are nice boots'...

            Iona

            You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when I get a chance.
            http://otterdance.livejournal.com/

            I am a Very Happy Author!

          • Amy Harlib
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
              aharlib@...
              Wow! Can't wait more than ever!
              Cheers!
              Amy

              > You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when I
              > get a chance.
              > http://otterdance.livejournal.com/
              >
              > I am a Very Happy Author!

              > --
              > 11/27/2007 11:40 AM

            • Tina
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
                My thought: http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/05/11/do-want/

                --- lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:

                > You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when
                > I get a chance.
                > http://otterdance.livejournal.com/
                >
                > I am a Very Happy Author!

              • Konstanze Faust
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
                  I love the ship and harbour scenery.. and I like this version of Seregil although the cover of "Luck in the Shadows" had been closer to my imagination.
                  Nice panel work - I like the full body picture of Seregil in the background with the sea background and the black strips up and below. They bring a nice accentuation to the colors. My compliments to the artist!

                  The story sound very thrilling... but poor Alec captured again? Poor guy... but I love the tragic part of your novels very much and am very looking forward to a deep and atmospheric story. Makes my fingers itch to draw some scenes :).

                  Greetings
                  Konstanze

                  -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                  > Datum: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:15:42 -0000
                  > Von: "Iona Bartlett" <ionabartlett@...>
                  > An: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
                  > Betreff: Re: [Flewelling] Bantam Cover Art for Shadows Return!

                  > Oooh I like!
                  >
                  > Not quite my mental image of Seregil but not too far off either. However,
                  > I must admit that my first thought on seeing it was 'Those are nice
                  > boots'...
                  >
                  > Iona

                • Michelle
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
                    I knew it! I knew they'd be separated and tortured! You evil woman, you!! Augh.

                    And I agree with the others, I want this book more than ever now. D: *has the preorder on her wishlist on Amazon for Christmas* It needs to come out faaaasteeeeeer. *pines*

                    You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here when I get a chance.

                    http://otterdance. livejournal. com/

                    I am a Very Happy Author!

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mkp{
                    #ygrp-mkp hr{
                    border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                    #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                    #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                    margin-bottom:10px;}
                    #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                    padding:0 0;}
                    #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                    color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                    -->

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                    font-family:Arial;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                    margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                    -->

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                    #ygrp-text{
                    font-family:Georgia;
                    }
                    #ygrp-text p{
                    margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                    #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                    font-family:Arial;
                    clear:both;}
                    #ygrp-vitnav{
                    #ygrp-vitnav a{
                    padding:0 1px;}
                    #ygrp-actbar{
                    #ygrp-actbar .left{
                    float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                    .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-grft{
                    #ygrp-ft{
                    padding:5px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                    padding-bottom:10px;}

                    #ygrp-vital{
                    #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                    #ygrp-vital ul{
                    padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                    #ygrp-vital ul li{
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                    font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-vital a{
                    text-decoration:none;}

                    #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;}

                    #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                    color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                    padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                    text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                    padding:8px 0;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                    text-decoration:none;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;}
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                    margin:0;}
                    o{font-size:0;}
                    .MsoNormal{
                    margin:0 0 0 0;}
                    #ygrp-text tt{
                    font-size:120%;}
                    blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                    .replbq{margin:4;}
                    -->

                  • Pat Mary Fenech
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Dear Lynn,
                      Thank you for the preview - it is a lovely, lovely cover.

                      Regards, Pat Fenech

                    • Virgínia Jansen
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Hun, it is a handsome art cover, indeed. Seregil is nicely done but I hate
                        those sumary-plots and reviews at the back covers. Sometimes they simply
                        spoil all the fun in the book (the worst I have ever seen was in the A.C.
                        Clarck "A song from a Distant Earth")...
                        And I agree, such nice boots!
                        ^_^

                        Virginia
                        --
                        " 'Do you know, I always thought Unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I
                        never saw one alive before!'

                      • cheri watson

                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                            Ohh, I agree. Sometimes book covers spoil a lot of things. I don't think this one did, but I've seen some that have. Movie trailers do the same things sometimes. Especially for older movies. I watched The Graduate a couple weeks ago then watched the original trailer? The trailer spelled out the whole movie AND gave away the end! Why do people do that? At first I thought that the plot summary was kind of spoiling things on this book, but by the second paragraph, there were enough questions to be answered that I thought it was fun.

                            But Seregil does look dashing on the front. ^_^ I like his boots, too, but I especially like his coat! And the jewels on his sword and ring. :) Aaand the boats in the background. mmm, boats. Those are some awesome boats. Does anyone else think that this is one of the more handsome renditions of Seregil?

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, cheri watson <elnnesa@...> wrote:

                              > Amazing cover! The story sounds better than I'd imagined...but that is why we love you so
                              as an author, Lynn. You have incredibly vivid and gifted imagination!

                              Thanks. I hope it lives up to expectations.

                              > You guys and your boots! Yeah, they are nice, but I first noticed the open shirt!!!

                              Heh. That was my idea. They actually asked for my input this time, and used a lot of it. I like
                              the boots, too, but the coat? Wow.
                            • Michelle
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                Aha! That explains why it rocks so much! It's 'cause your awesome. :)

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  Great. Awesome. Marvelous. .... (put some more praising adjective here)
                                  First, as I saw the thumbnail I thought: Seregil? Scarred??? OMG! O.o
                                  But then I thought, I could click it. His streak of hair and its shadow
                                  looked like a scar.
                                  I like his ring and sword especially. It's a great piece of art, it looks
                                  very realistic. Great job.

                                  For the summary on the backside.... I usually never read that. It just
                                  doesn't reach the content.
                                  Well yeah, separated again, ok slavery - it can't become worse. Sounds a bit
                                  cliché to me but I know you are not. I just think the backtext is crappy and
                                  exagerrated as ever. (Sorry, my opinion) But the story is always stunning
                                  and fascinating and your snippet raised the "tremendous WANT" in me more
                                  than this cover. XD
                                  Which does not mean I don't like Seregil with flowing hair and his shirt
                                  open. *snicker*

                                  Eagerly waiting for Shadows Return
                                  Sabine
                                • Firesong
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    Totally in agreement here. Gorgeous rendering of Seregil, it has
                                    spelled "dashing rogue" all over. And boy, I Iove the ships! I am such
                                    a sucker for old fashioned sailing boats, the big ones. With many many
                                    sails.

                                    Definitely the best one of them all. At least of the american covers.
                                    Some of the british, more abstract ones, were quite nice as well.

                                    Lynn, who is the artist of this?

                                    I can't wait to read it. Just for myself, not for work or anything.
                                    Sometimes I miss just being a fan of books and nothing more.

                                    Anja

                                    Am 04.12.2007 um 20:16 schrieb Shiva:

                                    > Great. Awesome. Marvelous. .... (put some more praising adjective here)
                                    > First, as I saw the thumbnail I thought: Seregil? Scarred??? OMG! O.o
                                    > But then I thought, I could click it. His streak of hair and its shadow
                                    > looked like a scar.
                                    > I like his ring and sword especially. It's a great piece of art, it
                                    > looks
                                    > very realistic. Great job.
                                    >
                                    > For the summary on the backside.... I usually never read that. It just
                                    > doesn't reach the content.
                                    > Well yeah, separated again, ok slavery - it can't become worse. Sounds
                                    > a bit
                                    > cliché to me but I know you are not. I just think the backtext is
                                    > crappy and
                                    > exagerrated as ever. (Sorry, my opinion) But the story is always
                                    > stunning
                                    > and fascinating and your snippet raised the "tremendous WANT" in me
                                    > more
                                    > than this cover. XD
                                    > Which does not mean I don't like Seregil with flowing hair and his
                                    > shirt
                                    > open. *snicker*
                                    >
                                    > Eagerly waiting for Shadows Return
                                    > Sabine

                                  • Jennifer .
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      I was being patient! I was NOT thinking about how long it will take to get this book, and now.... [sigh]

                                      I like Seregil's expression. He looks quite determined! I agree, this is the best cover yet. You haven't had any REALLY bad ones, though!

                                      Jennifer

                                      To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.comFrom: otterdance2@...: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:54:33 +0000Subject: [Flewelling] Bantam Cover Art for Shadows Return!

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                        I thought it was great that they have the scar from the disk. Great attention to detail. I like the look of him, too.

                                      • Addie Underwood
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                          I Agree. I friend told me she didn't think it looked anything like Seregil, and therefore couldn't be him. The details of the disc scar from the first book, and the Corruth's ring from the second sealed the deal.

                                          I don't really like the blurb on the black all that much though... I think it is a bit over dramatic (I believe someone else said that too) I also think it gives away a lot. We sorta know where the phrophecy is going now... that makes me sad. I would have loved it be be absolute secret, need to know info throughout the book.

                                          Oh well... I still want the book more than anything now!

                                          Addie
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                            Great cover. I agree with what everybody else said.
                                            We are very happy fans! *bg*

                                            The only thing that bugs me about it is the earring. Somehow I can't
                                            see Seregil wear a pirat's earring. Lord Seregil would be too stylish
                                            for something that large and the Cat wouldn't wear it bcause the glint
                                            might give him away or it might rip out in a fight.

                                            But all in all, great art. :-)

                                            Tawariel

                                            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling" <otterdance2@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here
                                            when I get a chance.
                                            > http://otterdance.livejournal.com/
                                            >
                                            > I am a Very Happy Author!

                                          • Rey Baskerville
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                              RE: Earring... No doubt Seregil accessorises according to any of the many hats he wears :-)

                                              Be available to more good than you have ever experienced, realized or imagined before.

                                              wrote:

                                              > You can find the cover at my LJ. I'll post a copy to the files here
                                              when I get a chance.
                                              > http://otterdance. livejournal. com/
                                              >
                                              > I am a Very Happy Author!

                                            • Silbran
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                Lynn,

                                                the cover is really beautiful. Seregil looks trés chic! ;-)
                                                Can you tell us the name of the illustrator? I would like to see if I
                                                can find more on the web from him or her.

                                                I will count the days 'til the new book comes out.
                                                But wait: wasn't there the info some time before your editor wanted
                                                the book to be short? Less than 300000 words?
                                                Hm, they listened to your advice and got a nice cover. So you could
                                                probably tell them also your readers like their books quite big and we
                                                will be glad to have stories with 300000 words and above next time...?

                                                Much love

                                                silvia
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "tawariel" <tawariel@...> wrote:

                                                  > The only thing that bugs me about it is the earring. Somehow I can't
                                                  > see Seregil wear a pirat's earring. Lord Seregil would be too stylish
                                                  > for something that large and the Cat wouldn't wear it bcause the glint
                                                  > might give him away or it might rip out in a fight.

                                                  I looked at that, and I'm pretty sure that's just the sun glinting off a stray lock of hair. It's
                                                  way too big to be an earring.
                                                • Michelle
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                    Wow! I didn't even notice the disc at first! *goes back to check* Yeah, that's definitely cool that they threw that in there. :D

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                      Earring in general, yes. But did you see the size of that earring?
                                                      That's the size a female fortune teller or dancer might wear, but not a
                                                      lord even if he is a dandy.

                                                      Tawariel

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                        Yeah, I'll pretend it's hair. Good idea.
                                                        The size is what bugs me most. It's a decidedly female earring size and
                                                        I could only see Seregil wear something like that when he is in disguise
                                                        as a gypsy girl or something like that.

                                                        Tawariel

                                                        lynn_flewelling schrieb:
                                                        > I looked at that, and I'm pretty sure that's just the sun glinting off a stray lock of hair. It's
                                                        > way too big to be an earring.

                                                      • Michelle
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                          It really looks like hair to me. Not only is it way too big to be an earring, it's also starting way too high for where it seems like his earlobe would be. Not to mention, it's moving in the same direction as the other lock of hair to the right in the picture. AND it's the same color as the other wispy white hair (most likely caught by the sun, as Lynn said) to the far right, on Seregil's left.

                                                          It's just curved like an earring and seems metallic in color. Not to mention, it doesn't end like an earring over by his ear. I don't think you have to pretend it's hair. I'm about 98% certain that it IS hair.

                                                          lynn_flewelling schrieb:

                                                          > I looked at that, and I'm pretty sure that's just the sun glinting off a stray lock of hair. It's

                                                          > way too big to be an earring.

                                                          <!--