[Flewelling] Introduction to Fantasy

  • Sherri Barras
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2000
      July 1972, terribly hot, my best friend had just left town for two weeks at her
      grandparents, I decided to bother my brother (hey, it's a valid form of
      amusement when you're nine). He was twenty, home from University, sitting on
      the porch swing reading and drinking iced tea. I asked him what his book was
      about and he answered "Trolls". I said something eloquent like "nuhuh!" and
      he stopped and turned back to read me the entire Troll scene from The Hobbit.
      Then he went back to the first page and began reading aloud about Bag End,
      Hobbits, alarmingly forward Dwarves crashing plates. We spent the rest of the
      summer cuddled up for chapters here and there and I was awestruck.

      I'd read (and loved) fairy tales, the Brothers Grimm, Lewis and L'Engle and
      other fantastic writers but those were all kids' books - the notion that
      adults - real grown up people - read fantasy, that it was written for them,
      that my very smart favorite brother enjoyed it was entirely new and wonderful
      to me.

      Thanks again Bob!

      Sherri in Austin
    • Norman Schwarze
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2000
        --- In Flewelling@egroups.com, Sherri Barras <sbarras@i...> wrote:
        > July 1972, terribly hot, my best friend had just left town for two
        weeks at hergrandparents
        Funny. I'm just 18 but I can't remember my first expierience with
        fantasy, but you can.
        Greetings from Alzheimer
        *g*

        uhmm...
        Might be that I can' remember because my grand-grand mother started
        to read me books (mainly fantasy;and fairy tales for that matter)
        when I was still a little baby (something around 3 years; is this
        still a baby? 'guess no!)

        Nörml