Splitting books in translated editions

  • Firesong
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      Actually that is not why OUR publishing house splits fantasy and Sci Fi
      books. The reason is financial, but not as readers think, merely to
      make more money.

      Before an editor buys a license for a translation he/she has to
      calculate the costs with a fixed calculation form. This way we can get
      a rough estimate on how many books we have to sell of the title so that
      we earn something. So if a book is very thick the cost is higher, both
      in production and translation cost (translation is often the biggest
      part of the costs). Many Fantasy books are very thick and one has to
      add the extra pages that are generated by the difference in english and
      german. German just takes more words to say things.

      So splitting a book is often the only way to do it at all, mostly
      because in Fantasy and Sci Fi there are not so many titles who do sell
      in great numbers. Because if the calculation form says NO, there is not
      a lot you can do. The publisher is the one who has to pay a lot of
      money in advance.

      So one reasons why many german publishers now do so many Fantasy books
      in the greater trade paperback format is, that in this format you don't
      always have to split a huge book and it gets a lot more attention in
      the stores. But of course it is also more expensive to produce.

      So much from the publishing front.

      And I have made a convert ;-), a friend of mine who never read much
      fantasy has lately gotten into the habit and started with the Tamir
      books some weeks ago. Now she is almost finished with NR as well.
      Yahoo!

      Anja

      Am 29.06.2007 um 02:16 schrieb Tawariel:

      > No, the French publisher split OQ into 2 parts.
      > The reason for this (they do it in Germany too with some books) is that
      > people are supposedly more inclined to read a thin book than a thick
      > book. Where they got that idea I can't tell. And of course they can
      > sell
      > it for more money.
      >
      > Tawariel
      >
      > Mercury schrieb:
      >> ...theres more to Oracle's Queen?!?!?

    • Brenda
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
        wow that is interesting. thank you for sharing a bit of the process of how it's translated and all.