Re: [Flewelling] NR...Swordspoint...What else?

  • laura Flocker
    Message 1 of 27 , May 31, 2007
      I liked everything about it... So much so that it was the first time
      that I have
      EVER read anything twice..

      I like a historical, rather than modern, feel, and I love the whole
      NR world.
      it feels real, yet mystical... royalty, swords, famine, filth, and
      magic...

      My mind didn't wander to other things (like the things that I was
      supposed to be doing) while I was reading.

      I love the relationship between Seregil and Alec because it is so
      powerful, intense...
      I care about both characters equally so I care more about their
      relationship -
      (whereas in Kushner I cared more for Theron than Basil... and for
      Richard than Alec... although I worried about Alec more)
      The more that I glimpse the world through their eyes the more
      questions I have, the more I want to learn about them.
      I cared about, and like, the other characters, too. But I think that
      the main reason that I was drawn to reread the NR books was to relive
      their relationship
      knowing where they would end up at the end of book 3... and caring
      that they will still be together at the end of every future book...
      so I guess it is a combination of Lynn's imagination, her writing
      style, and the personalities she created for Seregil and Alec that
      make it my favorite.

      (I'm not sure if any of this helps at all.
      I find that I can barely voice a complete thought at the end of the
      day at this time of year.)

      I am relatively new to Fantasy so there is probably (hopefully!) a
      LOT out there that I haven't discovered yet.

      My previous idea of great Fantasy was The Holy Grail.
      After my daughter's discovered Harry Potter I was looking for things
      for THEM to read and we discovered (and love) Tamora Pierce.
      I previewed a lot of Young Adult fantasy and found that I also
      enjoyed Garth Nix,
      Sherwood Smith, and others... Later I walked into the regular fantasy
      section without having any clue about where to start.
      I've read all of Melanie Rawn, Carol Berg, Trudi Canavan, Sara
      Douglass, Kate Forsyth, George Martin, Ellen Kushner, and, of course,
      Flewelling.
      I started with the Tamir Trilogy, which I really enjoyed... and then
      I read NR which I love best.

      On May 31, 2007, at 6:51 PM, cheri watson wrote:

      > What elements did you most admire in the NR series? (I'll recommend
      > based on that)
      >
      > kaliakaryna <lflocker@...> wrote: I'm relatively new...never
      > posted before. Thanks for all of the ideas on what to read while
      > waiting for the new NR book! Now that I've read Swordspoint,
      > Privilidge of the Sword, and Fall
      > of the Kings I am in need of new ideas. What else can I read while
      > I live from NR snippet to
      > snippet?

    • cheri watson
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2007
        OK. For magical with love building, I liked Sarah Monette's "Melusine" and "Virtue'
        as well as Storm Constantine "Wraeththu". Good love storys of more modern times are Laura Argiri's "The God in Flight" (though both main characters have some serious emotional problems) and Jamie O'Neil's "At Swim Two Boys" (it does NOT leave you with warm fuzzies).
        For good story lines, Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series. It had begin to drag for several books, but made up for it in the latest (and next to last) book. Terry Goodkind also has a good story with some good humor. The love story to me is rather unrealistic, but the story and humor make up for that. Anne Bishop books are good, and she has some great humor. The worlds she creates are not so easy to fall into, but worth it to read.
        I also enjoyed Raymond Feist- but they need to be read in order starting at "Magician: Apprentice". Beware! Not all the good guys survive!
        Mercedes Lackey's "Last Herald Mage" is written at a Jr.high to High school level with more of an adult theme. It has a decent story.
        I also enjoyed Elizabeth Haydon's books, David Edding's and Jennifer Fallon's.
        I just started reading Fantasy a couple of years ago, so I'm still looking for suggestions as well. Ive just started Jacquelin Carey and have some books by Fionna Huff in queue, which were sugestions from the group. So far, they have been correct with At Swin Two Boy, The God in Flight, Last Herald Mage and Swordpoint

      • the0.567395
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
          *spaz*

          Good Omens is possibly my favorite book, EVER. Wow. I only read it for
          the first time a couple of months ago, but I've already read it three
          times. XD Crowley and Aziraphale's last scene had me thinking "IT'S
          CANON," even though it, you know... wasn't.

          Honestly, I'd recommend anything Neil Gaiman has ever written. It's
          all fantastic, though not much m/m. (Although I do, rather
          embarrassingly, have a bookmark left on page 190 of my paperback copy
          of American Gods...)

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Got
          > > a little couch potato?
          > > Check out fun summer activities for kids.

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Get
          the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of
          spyware protection.
          > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/norton/index.php

        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
            Well, I haven't gotten to the end of Good Omens yet,
            so I don't know what scene you're talking about. :X

            But I don't think I remember what happens on page 190
            of American Gods. I don't have my copy right now (but
            it is signed to me by Neil! :D)

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Got
            > > > a little couch potato?
            > > > Check out fun summer activities for kids.

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Get
            > the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the
            > added security of
            > spyware protection.

            that gives answers, not web links.
          • Michelle
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
              Actually, never mind. ^_^; I just found my copy and
              read page 190. No need to explain. Haha.

              ____________________________________________________________________________________Got
              > > > a little couch potato?
              > > > Check out fun summer activities for kids.

              ____________________________________________________________________________________Get
              > the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the
              > added security of
              > spyware protection.

              http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
            • John_TW_Hayton
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                My favourite fantasy books are the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy
                Gavriel Kay. I think the writing is incandescent. The characters
                well realised - they could be people you know and the use of Keltic
                and Arthurian myth bases done in a way that brings new life to ancient
                material. They are shortish as novels go today and amazing as a bedut
                sequence in my view.

                My favourite science fantasy is the future history work by M K Wren -
                the Phoenix trilogy. Once again the characters were rich and detailed
                and totally believable - well putting the capital of the earth in
                Australia also tickled my fancy as an Australian.

                My twopeneth worth.

                John
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                  People, if you are going to quote pages of books, please remember to put
                  in a SPOILER SPACE for those who haven't read the book yet and don't
                  want to be spoiled!
                  Thanks a lot.

                  Tawariel

                  Michelle schrieb:
                  > Well, I haven't gotten to the end of Good Omens yet,
                  > so I don't know what scene you're talking about. :X
                  >
                  > But I don't think I remember what happens on page 190
                  > of American Gods. I don't have my copy right now (but
                  > it is signed to me by Neil! :D)

                • momo mcfarlane
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
                    You could try Point of Hopes and Point of Swords by Melissa Scott (they may
                    be a little hard to find). They are set in a sort of Renaissance alternate
                    history complete with Magic and MTM action. I really enjoyed both books and
                    keep on hoping their may be others written in the universe. The world is
                    well realised and the characters engaging.

                    Mo

                    https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/
                  • Teresa Glover
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Oh I love Fionavar Tapestry, too...most of GGK especially Tigana. I couldn't get into his latest book despite good reviews. I'm glad to hear there is another fan of his work out there.

                      Teresa

                    • momo mcfarlane
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                        I think I like Song of Arbonne best - but I like all of his work. I also
                        found it difficult to get into the latest book which is sad as I was hoping
                        it might be one of the higlights of my reading year.

                        MO

                        >From: Teresa Glover <tmgukcatfan@...>
                        >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [Flewelling] Re: NR...Swordspoint...What else?
                        >Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 08:29:16 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >Oh I love Fionavar Tapestry, too...most of GGK especially Tigana. I
                        >couldn't get into his latest book despite good reviews. I'm glad to hear
                        >there is another fan of his work out there.
                        >
                        > Teresa

                        https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/
                      • Tarin Lomarr
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 8, 2007
                          > Oh I love Fionavar Tapestry, too...most of GGK especially
                          > Tigana. I couldn't get into his latest book despite good
                          > reviews. I'm glad to hear there is another fan of his work
                          > out there.

                          I've been known to commando-type attack people I see "just browsing"
                          the sf/f aisle -- the salespeople laugh b/c they walk in with no intent
                          to actually BUY, and after bumping in to me they leave with an armful
                          :-) Fionavar is a frequent recommendation. Also Czerneda's In the
                          Company of Others for SF fans -- it's her sole stand-alone and an
                          excellent start to her fandom. Whatever they have on the shelf by
                          Charles de Lint and/or Nina Kiriki Hoffman. one of the two "firsts" by
                          our goddess; for those who want truly "grown up" fantasy I send them
                          home with Jacqueline Carey and if they want it "darker" and still
                          "grown up" they get Laurell K. Hamilton.

                          But first, I pitch Fionavar. Love them. And the "new" cover art
                          triptych by Janny Wurtz and Don Maitz? Lovely Lovely Lovely.

                          Susn

                          Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                        • Teresa Glover
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9, 2007
                            Hi,

                            I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I'm loving it! Has anyone else read it? I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, but so far it is outstanding.

                            Teresa

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 9, 2007
                              Read it last week. Loved it!

                              I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I'm loving it! Has anyone else read it? I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, but so far it is outstanding.

                              Teresa

                            • Alexandra Kwan
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 17, 2007
                                Hello,

                                On 10 Jun 2007, at 4:32 AM, Teresa Glover wrote:
                                > I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I'm loving
                                > it! Has anyone else read it? I'm only about 1/4 of the way through,
                                > but so far it is outstanding.
                                No, but the amazon.com blurb sounds interesting... Any m/m content,
                                etc.?

                                little Alex
                              • Teresa Glover
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 18, 2007
                                  Hi little Alex,

                                  No m/m relationships so far (3/4 done now) in The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. But it is wonderful nonetheless!

                                  Teresa

                                • cheri watson
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 8, 2007
                                    I decided to follow your recommendation and just began to read it.

                                    Several months ago, I read Strom Constantine's Wraeththu trilogy, and enjoyed it enough to try reading the Wraeththu Histories.
                                    It was well over a decade from completion of Wraeththu trilogy and beginning the Histories, over which time her skills have skyrocketed. Its as if she took lessons from Lynn!!! She has learned how to develop a good love story!
                                    The books really need to be read in order. After reading the 2nd, "The Shades of Time and Memory", my first waking thought for three consecutive days was of the characters. Lynn's books are about the only other that I reacted that way to. I ordered the 3rd book , and am wearing holes in the carpet waiting its arrival.
                                    I still like Seregil and Alec best, but these characters are a respectable second place. I highly recommend it!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 10, 2007
                                      Let me know if you like it! I thought it was magnificent!

                                      Teresa