Re: Northeast US snow

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 13, 2007
      I've been through some really bad winters, but I don't think I saw snow like they're having
      in Oswego, NY since I was a young kid in N. Maine. I do remember some years when we
      could climb the snowbanks by our house onto the roof and ride our sleds off--safely! And
      digging snow caves you could stand upright in.

      I do miss it, a little, but only a little.

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, paal@... wrote:

      > ----- Original Message Follows -----
      > > ----- Original Message Follows -----
      > > > Lynn
      > > >
      > > > Just wondering if you are happy to be in California
      > > > this year!! WOW, what a snowfall the Northeast is
      > > > having. Anyone on the list in that area? How are yo
      > >
      > > What I heard at 8 Am was that it's supposed to reach Massachusetts
      > > around midnight. It's coming up the coast. Someone in from a customer
      > > in DC area left early this morning, she cancelled out of a scheduled
      > > recap meeting this morning to get out while the airports were still
      > > open I surmise.
      >

      > From:
      > http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/10990642/detail.html
      >
      > "Mike Wankum's Snow Blog
      >
      > "UPDATED: 4:10 pm EST February 13, 2007"
      >
      > "Because this storm is so compact and so strong, the line between snow
      > and rain will be very distinct. You'll be able to drive (maybe) just a
      > few miles down the road from heavy snow to a cold rainy mix.
      >
      > "The cutoff line is going to be roughly along a line from Manchester, NH
      > to Worcester, MA to Hartford, CT. West of this line expect all snow.
      > Perhaps 10"-20". East of that line there will be some degree of
      > mixing. It's not out of the question that parts of the Cape could hit
      > 50-degrees tomorrow! Now you understand the problem. 50 and
      > thunderstorms at the Cape; 30 and heavy snow in Worcester. New England
      > .. we have the most amazing weather don't we...."

    • Hitome Shiakuu
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 13, 2007
        Oh, wow, I wish. I live in the New York City area of NY, and we're hoping for our first decent snowfall of the year (and season) tonight. So far this year we've gotten a few instances where we wake up to a little bit of white covering our grass, but not enough to even cover the roads at all. >.> It's been a very bad year for snow days and such, at least for my part of New York.

        *crosses fingers for some snow*

        Deborah

        NO DAY BUT TODAY

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
          I'm in the Albany area, and God has spilled a bottle of white-out.
          Even the roads, which the snow gets notoriously brown and yellow, are
          black and white; but mostly white. If you stand still long enough, all
          you can see is a white haze everywhere you go. All that you can hear
          is a soft hiss of snow hitting more snow. If you try to make your
          voice be heard amongst the equalizing power of White, you find that
          your voice falls flat almost as soon as it leaves your mouth. I Love IT!

          > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, paal@ wrote:
          > >

          > > ----- Original Message Follows -----
          > > > ----- Original Message Follows -----

          > > > What I heard at 8 Am was that it's supposed to reach Massachusetts
          > > > around midnight. It's coming up the coast. Someone in from a
          customer
          > > > in DC area left early this morning, she cancelled out of a scheduled
          > > > recap meeting this morning to get out while the airports were still
          > > > open I surmise.
          > >

          > > From:
          > > http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/10990642/detail.html
          > >
          > > "Mike Wankum's Snow Blog
          > >
          > > "UPDATED: 4:10 pm EST February 13, 2007"
          > >
          > > "Because this storm is so compact and so strong, the line between snow
          > > and rain will be very distinct. You'll be able to drive (maybe) just a
          > > few miles down the road from heavy snow to a cold rainy mix.
          > >
          > > "The cutoff line is going to be roughly along a line from
          Manchester, NH
          > > to Worcester, MA to Hartford, CT. West of this line expect all snow.
          > > Perhaps 10"-20". East of that line there will be some degree of
          > > mixing. It's not out of the question that parts of the Cape could hit
          > > 50-degrees tomorrow! Now you understand the problem. 50 and
          > > thunderstorms at the Cape; 30 and heavy snow in Worcester. New England
          > > .. we have the most amazing weather don't we...."

        • Jessica Fisher
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
            We've gotten hammered with snow and ice here in Indianapolis too. Certainly
            not ten feet, but over a foot. Hooray for VPNs and working from home! It
            was pretty neat to look out the window of my comfortable apartment and watch
            the blizzard yesterday. I have a doctor's appointment today so I will be
            braving the roads but hopefully it will be okay. At least I have four wheel
            drive.

            Jessica

          • paal@gis.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
              ----- Original Message Follows -----
              > I'm in the Albany area, and God has spilled a bottle of white-out.
              > Even the roads, which the snow gets notoriously brown and yellow, are
              > black and white; but mostly white. If you stand still long enough, all
              > you can see is a white haze everywhere you go. All that you can hear
              > is a soft hiss of snow hitting more snow. If you try to make your
              > voice be heard amongst the equalizing power of White, you find that
              > your voice falls flat almost as soon as it leaves your mouth. I Love
              > IT!

              That post I think I put in here about the vagaries of New England storms
              and mixed of precipitation, applies to what's going on outside...
              there's some snow on the ground, and what was coming down as I headed
              into work was starting converting inself from snow into sleet, maybe to
              become freezing rain... that's -here-. Cape Cod;s probably getting
              rain. There are mixed north and west of there. And out beyond route
              495, which is 30 miles out from Boston, it's likely to stay all snow....
            • Dale & Veronica Albers
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
                We are getting hammered with snow here just west of Toronto, Canada. They've actually closed schools, which hasn't happened since a few years back when the army was called in to rescue us from it. ~ No joke, though I'm embarrassed to admit it, lol.

                It usually farther north that snow storms like this one happens. This Saturday we are heading up to Cottage Country to shovel off my in laws roof for them. It about six high in some places there.
                Snowball fight anyone?

                Veronica
                We've gotten hammered with snow and ice here in Indianapolis too. Certainly
                not ten feet, but over a foot. Hooray for VPNs and working from home! It
                was pretty neat to look out the window of my comfortable apartment and watch
                the blizzard yesterday. I have a doctor's appointment today so I will be
                braving the roads but hopefully it will be okay. At least I have four wheel
                drive.

                Jessica

                On 2/14/07, silverhawk9p9 <silverhawk1000@...> wrote:

                > I'm in the Albany area, and God has spilled a bottle of white-out.
                > Even the roads, which the snow gets notoriously brown and yellow, are
                > black and white; but mostly white. If you stand still long enough, all
                > you can see is a white haze everywhere you go. All that you can hear
                > is a soft hiss of snow hitting more snow. If you try to make your
                > voice be heard amongst the equalizing power of White, you find that
                > your voice falls flat almost as soon as it leaves your mouth. I Love IT!
                >
                > > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com>, paal@
                > wrote:
                > > >

                > > > ----- Original Message Follows -----

                > customer
                > > >

                > > > From:
                > > > http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/10990642/detail.html
                > > >
                > > > "Mike Wankum's Snow Blog
                > > >
                > > > "UPDATED: 4:10 pm EST February 13, 2007"
                > > >
                > > > "Because this storm is so compact and so strong, the line between snow
                > > > and rain will be very distinct. You'll be able to drive (maybe) just a
                > > > few miles down the road from heavy snow to a cold rainy mix.
                > > >
                > > > "The cutoff line is going to be roughly along a line from
                > Manchester, NH
                > > > to Worcester, MA to Hartford, CT. West of this line expect all snow.
                > > > Perhaps 10"-20". East of that line there will be some degree of
                > > > mixing. It's not out of the question that parts of the Cape could hit
                > > > 50-degrees tomorrow! Now you understand the problem. 50 and
                > > > thunderstorms at the Cape; 30 and heavy snow in Worcester. New England
                > > > .. we have the most amazing weather don't we...."

              • Michelle
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
                  I've got a friend just north of you in Cincinnati,
                  Ohio and she's been snowed in for two days. They've
                  got a lot of snow up there.

                  Down here in Atlanta, Georgia... we had rumors of
                  flurries earlier today but it's mostly just cold and
                  windy.

                  Get your own web address.
                • Cerri
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
                    I'm here in Central PA. I've been stuck at home yesterday and today so far - we have around 12" of snow and high winds, so the roads are pretty much not there. Happy Valentines day, though. XD We're all speculating on what this will do to local restaurants - this is usually one of their busiest days of the year. :(

                    --Cerri

                  • Nigel Puerasch
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
                      Meanwhile, here in Victoria (the southern hemisphere one) , it will be 38
                      degrees on Saturday and Sunday. That's 38 degrees CENTIGRADE. Which for
                      those of you still using the old measurements, is 101 F. Inland it will be
                      even hotter.

                      Nigel

                    • Paula Lieberman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
                        From: "Nigel Puerasch" <nigelpuerasch@...>

                        > Meanwhile, here in Victoria (the southern hemisphere one) , it will be 38
                        > degrees on Saturday and Sunday. That's 38 degrees CENTIGRADE. Which for
                        > those of you still using the old measurements, is 101 F. Inland it will
                        > be
                        > even hotter
                        >
                        > Nigel

                        Thank you for helping pay my salary... (The government of Australia is the
                        ultimate customer for one of the projects I'm working on.)
                      • Nigel Puerasch
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
                          My pleasure! :-) You at least are prolly doing something useful with the
                          money, unlike our pollies.