Quick question

  • Addie Underwood
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2007
      Quick question,

      Lynn, and/or group, I remember that Seregil mentions his Nightrunner mentor. However I do not recall if her name is ever mentioned, though I don't believe it is I thought I would ask. Does anyone know/remember?

      Addie

    • elnnesa
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2007
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Addie Underwood"
        <VampirSioraf@...> wrote:

        > Quick question,
        >
        > Lynn, and/or group, I remember that Seregil mentions his Nightrunner
        mentor. However I do not recall if her name is ever mentioned, though
        I don't believe it is I thought I would ask. Does anyone know/remember?

        > Addie

        Just looked it up- Traitor's Moon, pg. 213 mentions her and the
        location, but not a name. I don't remember any other mention, but
        I've been wrong MANY times before! I was also curious about her name.
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2007
          Hmm. I honestly don't remember! I don't remember mentioning a name, but it's been a
          long time.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2007
            otterdance2@... writes:

            Hmm. I honestly don't remember! I don't remember mentioning a name, but it's
            been a
            long

            Lol.

            I cant remember what I went to do five minutes ago these days let alone what
            I wrote years and years ago.

            You know I was thinking we could do an index for the books then when people
            ask we could look things up more easily.

          • Nancy L. Barber
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2007
              At 10:47 AM -0500 2/5/07, HBrown9628@... wrote:
              >You know I was thinking we could do an index for the books then when people
              >ask we could look things up more easily.

              I've been involved in a couple of dictionary/lexicon
              type projects for books--it can be lots of fun. For
              example, the Friends of Liad have a wiki going for
              Lee & Miller's books, trying to list all the made-up words
              and proper nouns:
              http://durendal.org:8080/twiki/bin/view/LiadLexicon/WebHome

              And I did a lower-tech "Chalion Dictionary" for Lois
              Bujold's books (the online version just has the first book,
              but a combined version for the first 2 books exists
              and was distributed with the ebook):
              http://www.dendarii.com/dict-chalion.html
              That was focused on "how to pronounce this word" as
              much as on definitions.

              I don't have the tech skills or hardware to set up a wiki,
              but that does seem to be the ideal way for a group like this
              to work on a project together. Anyone here able to set one
              up?

              Nancy Barber
            • Nicole Gruebel
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2007
                Helen wrote:
                You know I was thinking we could do an index for the books then when people
                ask we could look things up more easily.

                Do you know Wikipedia? It's a great way to form a database about
                every kind of stuff.
                We started a german one for "our" ElfQuest-knowledge ... and there is
                the "Lostpedia" for the TV-series Lost.

                I'm not sure right now how it works when you want to use the basics
                of it for your very own database, but I could ask.
                The best thing about it, everybody who knows something can type it in
                and if somebody disagrees it can be discussed on the spot (or altered).
                There is room for pictures and you can form links between the entries.
                Well, and all in all it's rather easy to handle, as far as I know.

                What do you think?

                Nicole

              • Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2007
                  Is it perhaps time for a companion volume to Lynn's lovely world? ;)

                  HBrown9628@... wrote:
                  otterdance2@... writes:

                  Hmm. I honestly don't remember! I don't remember mentioning a name, but it's
                  been a
                  long

                  Lol.

                  I cant remember what I went to do five minutes ago these days let alone what
                  I wrote years and years ago.

                  You know I was thinking we could do an index for the books then when people
                  ask we could look things up more easily.

                  Rie Sheridan Rose -- the Bardabee Poet

                  Ever Vigilant in the War of the Weird --
                  (visit The Home for Wayward Spirits for details)

                  Check http://www.riewriter.com to see my latest writing news and
                  http://riesheridan.deviantart.com/ to see my artwork. Now at http://riesheridan.livejournal.com/ as well.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2007
                    Hmm yes good ideas all :-).

                    Well if anyone more expert then me in these things wants to let me know how
                    to go about it I'll take a look. As long as it is ok with the boss of course
                    :-).

                  • elnnesa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
                      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, HBrown9628@... wrote:

                      I will gladly assist in looking up info from the books. Since my
                      internet experience is all of three weeks old, any other type of help
                      with this project would be an unimaginably BAD IDEA!

                      Cheri

                      > Hmm yes good ideas all :-).
                      >
                      > Well if anyone more expert then me in these things wants to let me
                      know how
                      > to go about it I'll take a look. As long as it is ok with the boss
                      of course
                      > :-).
                      >

                      > Helen

                    • meiranisnataku
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
                        I have the webspace for it (I just bought my own domain). As for the
                        tech skills? I don't have them, but I'm willing to teach myself and
                        attempt to set it up so that it at least functions, if that helps.

                        (: I have the time to do it, so... if anyone is in favor of it, I
                        could attempt to give it a shot (setting up the database, etc.)
                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy L. Barber" <nlbarber@...>
                        wrote:

                        > At 10:47 AM -0500 2/5/07, HBrown9628@... wrote:
                        > >You know I was thinking we could do an index for the books then
                        when people
                        > >ask we could look things up more easily.
                        >
                        > I've been involved in a couple of dictionary/lexicon
                        > type projects for books--it can be lots of fun. For
                        > example, the Friends of Liad have a wiki going for
                        > Lee & Miller's books, trying to list all the made-up words
                        > and proper nouns:
                        > http://durendal.org:8080/twiki/bin/view/LiadLexicon/WebHome
                        >
                        > And I did a lower-tech "Chalion Dictionary" for Lois
                        > Bujold's books (the online version just has the first book,
                        > but a combined version for the first 2 books exists
                        > and was distributed with the ebook):
                        > http://www.dendarii.com/dict-chalion.html
                        > That was focused on "how to pronounce this word" as
                        > much as on definitions.
                        >
                        > I don't have the tech skills or hardware to set up a wiki,
                        > but that does seem to be the ideal way for a group like this
                        > to work on a project together. Anyone here able to set one
                        > up?
                        >
                        > Nancy Barber

                      • Lysa
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
                          Hi! *coming out of lurker-dom, waves*

                          I am currently involved in hp-lexicon.com, setting up a similar page
                          translated into Scandinavian languages (800+ pages and a zillion entries.)

                          I'd love to help - I suck at DB, my PHP is abysmal, I rule the CSS -
                          especially if it has already rolled over, baring its throat. ;0)
                          Depending on how the page needs to be structured, DB is not
                          necessarily necessary. HP-lex functions without it, entirely build in
                          html/css.

                          I have server space and a build in database as well, maybe that can be
                          persuaded to work.

                          Lýsa

                          > I have the webspace for it (I just bought my own domain). As for the
                          > tech skills? I don't have them, but I'm willing to teach myself and
                          > attempt to set it up so that it at least functions, if that helps.
                          >
                          > (: I have the time to do it, so... if anyone is in favor of it, I
                          > could attempt to give it a shot (setting up the database, etc.)
                        • Hitome Shiakuu
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 8, 2007
                            I'd be glad to contribute information, though I can't really offer much else. Anyone think I should make an LJ comm for this discussion or something similar?

                            Deborah

                            NO DAY BUT TODAY

                            I am currently involved in hp-lexicon.com, setting up a similar page

                            translated into Scandinavian languages (800+ pages and a zillion entries.)

                            I'd love to help - I suck at DB, my PHP is abysmal, I rule the CSS -

                            especially if it has already rolled over, baring its throat. ;0)

                            Depending on how the page needs to be structured, DB is not

                            necessarily necessary. HP-lex functions without it, entirely build in

                            html/css.

                            I have server space and a build in database as well, maybe that can be

                            persuaded to work.

                            Lýsa

                            > I have the webspace for it (I just bought my own domain). As for the

                            > tech skills? I don't have them, but I'm willing to teach myself and

                            > attempt to set it up so that it at least functions, if that helps.

                            > (: I have the time to do it, so... if anyone is in favor of it, I

                            > could attempt to give it a shot (setting up the database, etc.)

                            <!--

                            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                            #ygrp-text{
                            font-family:Georgia;