Re: [Flewelling] Re: Q for Lynn: World Building?

  • josh shepherd
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
      >From: Michelle <hametsunosaturn@...>

      >Nysander doesn't like blood magic. But I
      >would have expected him to like it because of
      >Arkonial

      I dont remember Nysander disliking blood magic. I dont remember him using
      any either, (tho im assuming the magic Thero uses to the find the ring in TM
      was a variation on the blood-seeking spell Arkonial learned from Lhel, which
      he probly taught Nysander)

      Which leads me to the question: How much of the Rethanoi magics that that
      Lhel taught Arkonial and the wizard children are still used by the Oreska?
      The blood-seeking spell and the translocation magic has been used in the NR
      books, but not the other blood-magics Arkonial knew.

      Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
      http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- josh shepherd <dragonmage81186@...> wrote:

        > >From: Michelle <hametsunosaturn@...>
        >
        > >Nysander doesn't like blood magic. But I
        > >would have expected him to like it because of
        > >Arkonial
        >
        > I dont remember Nysander disliking blood magic. I
        > dont remember him using
        > any either, (tho im assuming the magic Thero uses to
        > the find the ring in TM
        > was a variation on the blood-seeking spell Arkonial
        > learned from Lhel, which
        > he probly taught Nysander)

        Well, they used blood magic to be able to find Seregil
        and Alec on the boat when they headed off to Plenimar
        with the captain. Seregil put a spot of blood on a
        cloth and tied it up. I think it was Magyana that said
        it though. It was something like, "I detesst blood
        magic... and so does Nysander." After reading the
        Tamir Triad I went back and re-read the first three NR
        books (because it'd been years since I read them and
        honestly hadn't remembered most of it) and that line
        just really stood out for me. Because I got the
        feeling at the end of the Triad that Arkonial was
        going to try and teach people to better accept the
        hill folk and their magic. Like that was a mission or
        something that he leared through his love for Lehl.

        > Which leads me to the question: How much of the
        > Rethanoi magics that that
        > Lhel taught Arkonial and the wizard children are
        > still used by the Oreska?
        > The blood-seeking spell and the translocation magic
        > has been used in the NR
        > books, but not the other blood-magics Arkonial knew.

        > Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife -
        > Click here

        http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT

        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:

          > I'm totally
          > > curious about what happened to the hill folk and
          > if
          > > they played a bigger part in the Tamir trilogy
          > than
          > > you expected them to. Since there's so little
          > > reference to anything involving them in the NR
          > books
          >
          > Ah, but there is. They're the ones who made places
          > like the sea temple in SD, and left the
          > markings on the shoreline rocks in Skala.

          Ooooohhh, I see!

          > They still live in remote areas, but their numbers
          > have dwindled and they have moved
          > north. Still others were assimilated into the Skalan
          > population. (Yeah, that sounds good!)

          hee hee, Gotcha.

          > A lot of what you see in the Tamir books is based on
          > a LOT of backstory work I did for the
          > NR books, most of which you did not need to see in
          > those books, but I needed to know it.
          > Seregil's digressions are based on that. So the
          > ground was tilled for the T books, even if I
          > did have to fill in a lot of holes as I went back,
          > but the basic ideas were there. It's really not
          > that hard to extrapolate backwards. Ex. look at our
          > approach to religion now, and what it
          > was in 1900, 1800, 1700, etc. History is my greatest
          > resource. That, and a Liberal Arts
          > education, a naturally inquistive nature, and a
          > head for trivia. ;-)

          Ah, I suspected there was a backstory that was just
          built on (after all, Tamir was mentioned in the NR
          series when they went through the canal and all). I
          like to write, though I mostly enjoy creating
          characters. And I know that backstories to the
          characters are extremely helpful in knowing what sort
          of things they react to, even if none of that
          backstory comes into play in the actual future story
          of the character.

          Anyway, you do your extrapolating backwards and
          history writing very well. :) And thank you for
          answering my questions~! <3

          Get your own web address.