Re: Q for Lynn: World Building?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2007
      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Michelle <hametsunosaturn@...> wrote:

      > Did things come up in the Tamir trilogy that you
      > hadn't really considered in the NR books?

      Yes, such as the towns on the eastern coast.

      I'm totally
      > curious about what happened to the hill folk and if
      > they played a bigger part in the Tamir trilogy than
      > you expected them to. Since there's so little
      > reference to anything involving them in the NR books

      Ah, but there is. They're the ones who made places like the sea temple in SD, and left the
      markings on the shoreline rocks in Skala.

      > except that Nysander doesn't like blood magic. But I
      > would have expected him to like it because of
      > Arkonial, when I re-read the NR books after the Tamir
      > trilogy. I want to know what happened to the hill
      > folk. :)

      They still live in remote areas, but their numbers have dwindled and they have moved
      north. Still others were assimilated into the Skalan population. (Yeah, that sounds good!)

      > I'd like to know how writing the books backwards in
      > history effected the worlds and the time line? Or if
      > it led to any unexpected ideas that you have to figure
      > out how to work around in the NR series?

      A lot of what you see in the Tamir books is based on a LOT of backstory work I did for the
      NR books, most of which you did not need to see in those books, but I needed to know it.
      Seregil's digressions are based on that. So the ground was tilled for the T books, even if I
      did have to fill in a lot of holes as I went back, but the basic ideas were there. It's really not
      that hard to extrapolate backwards. Ex. look at our approach to religion now, and what it
      was in 1900, 1800, 1700, etc. History is my greatest resource. That, and a Liberal Arts
      education, a naturally inquistive nature, and a head for trivia. ;-)
    • josh shepherd
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
        >From: Michelle <hametsunosaturn@...>

        >Nysander doesn't like blood magic. But I
        >would have expected him to like it because of
        >Arkonial

        I dont remember Nysander disliking blood magic. I dont remember him using
        any either, (tho im assuming the magic Thero uses to the find the ring in TM
        was a variation on the blood-seeking spell Arkonial learned from Lhel, which
        he probly taught Nysander)

        Which leads me to the question: How much of the Rethanoi magics that that
        Lhel taught Arkonial and the wizard children are still used by the Oreska?
        The blood-seeking spell and the translocation magic has been used in the NR
        books, but not the other blood-magics Arkonial knew.

        Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
        http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT
      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- josh shepherd <dragonmage81186@...> wrote:

          > >From: Michelle <hametsunosaturn@...>
          >
          > >Nysander doesn't like blood magic. But I
          > >would have expected him to like it because of
          > >Arkonial
          >
          > I dont remember Nysander disliking blood magic. I
          > dont remember him using
          > any either, (tho im assuming the magic Thero uses to
          > the find the ring in TM
          > was a variation on the blood-seeking spell Arkonial
          > learned from Lhel, which
          > he probly taught Nysander)

          Well, they used blood magic to be able to find Seregil
          and Alec on the boat when they headed off to Plenimar
          with the captain. Seregil put a spot of blood on a
          cloth and tied it up. I think it was Magyana that said
          it though. It was something like, "I detesst blood
          magic... and so does Nysander." After reading the
          Tamir Triad I went back and re-read the first three NR
          books (because it'd been years since I read them and
          honestly hadn't remembered most of it) and that line
          just really stood out for me. Because I got the
          feeling at the end of the Triad that Arkonial was
          going to try and teach people to better accept the
          hill folk and their magic. Like that was a mission or
          something that he leared through his love for Lehl.

          > Which leads me to the question: How much of the
          > Rethanoi magics that that
          > Lhel taught Arkonial and the wizard children are
          > still used by the Oreska?
          > The blood-seeking spell and the translocation magic
          > has been used in the NR
          > books, but not the other blood-magics Arkonial knew.

          > Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife -
          > Click here

          http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT

          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:

            > I'm totally
            > > curious about what happened to the hill folk and
            > if
            > > they played a bigger part in the Tamir trilogy
            > than
            > > you expected them to. Since there's so little
            > > reference to anything involving them in the NR
            > books
            >
            > Ah, but there is. They're the ones who made places
            > like the sea temple in SD, and left the
            > markings on the shoreline rocks in Skala.

            Ooooohhh, I see!

            > They still live in remote areas, but their numbers
            > have dwindled and they have moved
            > north. Still others were assimilated into the Skalan
            > population. (Yeah, that sounds good!)

            hee hee, Gotcha.

            > A lot of what you see in the Tamir books is based on
            > a LOT of backstory work I did for the
            > NR books, most of which you did not need to see in
            > those books, but I needed to know it.
            > Seregil's digressions are based on that. So the
            > ground was tilled for the T books, even if I
            > did have to fill in a lot of holes as I went back,
            > but the basic ideas were there. It's really not
            > that hard to extrapolate backwards. Ex. look at our
            > approach to religion now, and what it
            > was in 1900, 1800, 1700, etc. History is my greatest
            > resource. That, and a Liberal Arts
            > education, a naturally inquistive nature, and a
            > head for trivia. ;-)

            Ah, I suspected there was a backstory that was just
            built on (after all, Tamir was mentioned in the NR
            series when they went through the canal and all). I
            like to write, though I mostly enjoy creating
            characters. And I know that backstories to the
            characters are extremely helpful in knowing what sort
            of things they react to, even if none of that
            backstory comes into play in the actual future story
            of the character.

            Anyway, you do your extrapolating backwards and
            history writing very well. :) And thank you for
            answering my questions~! <3

            Get your own web address.