Re: [Flewelling] Christmas Music (cross posted)

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
      If you want to try the authentic British Christmas music torture he he...
      try Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday, and Slade's Merry
      Christmas Everybody.

      Actually... Ive just had a very good idea....

      tapes fingers together and heads off to implement it..

    • Virgínia Jansen
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hun.... I love X´Mas Carols... I usually start to listen at my cd/MP3
        Collections a little early, about the end of October. Actually, when my
        birthday is past over (24 October) I DO really start to feel
        'X´mas-itches"... ^_^
        I love hear The Carpenters "Christmas Portrait" !
        I only dislike translated x´mas songs, sometimes they would just go lame
        when turned into Portuguese. I´d rather hear them in original English,
        Dutch, Spanish ...
        Well, I just pretty well enjoy the season, even in the hot Brazilian Summer
        I do dream with a white christmas *lol*

        Best regards;
        Miriade
        --
        " 'Do you know, I always thought Unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I
        never saw one alive before!'

      • Paula Lieberman
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 23, 2006
          [I've gotten WAY behind reading email, for reasons that include finally
          getting a fulltime job with benefits at the start of October, and losing my
          mother in October, after my father having gone in May. My mother was not in
          good shape to start with, and went down hill majorly in July-August, falling
          repeatedly when trying to get out of bed, as she had become paralyzed on one
          side...]

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 23, 2006
            >From: "lynn_flewelling" <otterdance2@...>
            >Songs I never tire of, and I make no apologies:

            >"Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas"
            Dislike

            >"Gramma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"
            Makes me want to stick needles in my eyes.

            >"Santa Baby"
            Okay.

            >"Blue Christmas"
            Can't stand it, especially the annoying Elvis version.

            >"Welcome Christmas" (from the old "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" cartoon)
            Not bad.

            >"White Christmas" (the Bing Crosby version)
            I was a huge fan of Crosby in my youth but when I heard and read of his
            harshness toward his kids, I simply lost my joy of his voice.

            >"I'll Be Home For Christmas" (from my college dating days with Doug,
            >together with such
            >memorable tunes as "You're So Far Away", "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Our
            >House".)
            The first - too sappy. However, I love the other three songs. I think we are
            of 'an age' as they say.<g>

            >And for singing at midnight mass:
            >"Silent Night"
            >"Angels We Have Heard on High"
            >"In the Deep Midwinter"

            When Christmas music is blaring at work, I turn up 365Radio to 70's music,
            metal, classic rock, anything but Christmas.

            Although raised Catholic I'm not a practicing Catholic. I very much dislike
            Christmas radio jingles like Jingle Bell Rock, Senior Santa Clause, Santa
            Claus is Coming to Town, yadda yadda. However, strangely enough, I *do*
            enjoy the music sung and played in mass during Christmas. It doesn't
            resonate for me as part of my faith, but it reaches to something inside me
            that I cannot explain. Perhaps it's the organ, the gorgeous choir of amazing
            voices, or that one beautiful voice singing O Holy Night that reaches the
            stars. But Santa Got Run Over by a Reindeer? Good God, one must ask why, oh
            why!?

            >And now, THE DREAD CHRISTMAS SONG THAT MAKES ME WANT TO GO F*&%(*^&%^
            >POSTAL
            >"The Little Drummer Boy"

            It's one of the few Christmas songs I actually kinda like, depending on the
            singer. After the brilliant monolog by Craig Ferguson (The Late Late Show)
            last night I probably won't be able to hear it without laughing out loud. He
            parodied the Crosby/Bowie version that still has me chuckling. Ferguson is
            freaking brilliant. The other late night hosts pale in comparison.

            Kelly

            Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN! Telus
            Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox� 360 every day from November 20 to
            December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN) Messenger to your
            IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a winner!
            http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/