Re: [Flewelling] Re: Pronounciation Guide - More Words

  • Aeditimi Scriba
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      ah, those aurenfaie, once again throwing me for a loop. The only ones that I
      totally missed were Gedre, Sengai, and Viresse (I'd been saying GED-reh,
      SEN-gay, and VEER-ess...)

      And of course Micum. But I learned that back at the reading and had
      forgotten to put him on the list.

      Becca

      >From: Lissa <potionsprofessor@...>
      >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Flewelling] Re: Pronounciation Guide - More Words
      >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:00:17 -0500
      >
      >Huh. I think I have to maintain my argument from my linguistics and
      >language classes ten years ago -- some times, despite conflicting rules and
      >stress indications, we just intuit how a word -- even a foreign or made-up
      >word -- is supposed to sound. The pronunciation as we discern it without
      >overthinking just makes sense.
      >
      >I read through the right-hand column of the list ignoring the left, and
      >would say that 95% of the time I knew precisely what word was described
      >because my verbal reading matched my pronunciation when reading aloud.
      >
      >Great project.
      >
      >Lissa
      >
      >On 10/29/06, lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com>, Mali
      > > Wane <maliwane@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Okay, here are a bunch more. A good many of these, I "think" I know
      >how
      > > > to pronounce them, but I thought it would be helpful to add them to
      >the
      > > > list in case I'm wrong, and / or to help others.
      > >
      > > Very close on most of them. Here are my versions.
      > > >

      > > > Adzriel ADZ-re-el
      > > > Akhendi ah-KEN-dee
      > > > Amali a-MAl-ee
      > > > Atui AH-too-ee
      > > > Bash'wai bash-WHY
      > > > Beshar besh-AR
      > > > Bokthersa bok-THER-sa
      > > > Bry'thir bry-THEAR (rhymes with fear)
      > > > Chyptaulos chip-TAU-los
      > > > Elesarit el-eh-SAR-it
      > > > Gedre ged-RAY
      > > > Hazadrielfaie haz-AD-dree-el-fay
      > > > Idrilain ID-dri-lain
      > > > Ilar il-AR
      > > > Ilina ill-EE-na
      > > > Iriel EAR-ree-el
      > > > Irtuk ear-TOOK
      > > > Khirnari keer-NAR-ee
      > > > Khtir'bai KIT-ir-BY (by rhymes with eye)
      > > > Korathan CORE-a-than
      > > > Kylith KYE (rhymes with eye)-lith
      > > > Lhaar lahr
      > > > Lieus lye-EE-us
      > > > Minal min-AL
      > > > Mydri MY-dree
      > > > Nha'mahat NA-ma-HAT
      > > > Nhekai nek-EYE
      > > > Phoria FOUR-ee-ah
      > > > Riagil RYE-a-gil
      > > > Rhaish RAYSH
      > > > Rhui'auros ru-ee-ARE-os (long o)
      > > > Rhylin RYE-lynn
      > > > Runcer RUN-sir
      > > > Saaban SAH-ban
      > > > Sarikali sar(rhymes with air)-eh-CALL-ee
      > > > Silmai SIL-may
      > > > Sen'gai sen-GUY
      > > > Seriamaius SAIR-ee-a-MAY-us
      > > > Tirfai TEER (rhymes with steer)-fay
      > > > Urgahzi ur-GAH-zee
      > > > Vhadasoori VAHD-ah-SOOR-ee
      > > > Viresse veer-EES (rhymes with peace)
      > > > Wyvern WIV-vern (that's how I say it, anyway)
      > > > Xandus SAN-dus
      > > > Ya'shel ya-SHELL
> [...]

      Use your PC to make calls at very low rates
      https://voiceoam.pcs.v2s.live.com/partnerredirect.aspx