Pronounciation Guide

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2006
      Thanks to the help from members here, I finally have a Guide on the website.

      Here 'tis!
      http://www.sff.net/people/lynn.flewelling/a.pronounce.html
    • Mali Wane
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
        This is great! I've got a very long list of additional words that I'll
        post here as soon as I finish TM. I'm adding most of the names of the
        Iia'sidra as well as many others. I figured if I was going to work on a
        list of words/names, I might as well get most, if not all, of the ones
        that might give someone trouble.

        Mali

        --- lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:

        > Thanks to the help from members here, I finally have a Guide on the
        > website.
        >
        > Here 'tis!
        > http://www.sff.net/people/lynn.flewelling/a.pronounce.html

      • thedragonmage86
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2006
          Im sorry if i'm nitpicking, i think this will be a valid question:

          Im a linguistics student, and recently we were given a few lectures on
          phonetics and phonology. With talk of the pronunciation guide, i
          thought id have a go at doing a phonetic transcription of the
          pronunciations that have been floating around.

          And i came across a conundrum: the letter combination "th" actually
          stands for to sounds: the unvoiced "th" in "thigh", and the
          voiced "th" in "the". So which one is used in kyrothius,tharin and
          thero? Im assuming that thryis uses the unvoiced...its easier.

          So could i maybe get an official word, or even a general opinion?
        • Aeditimi Scriba
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
            my unoficial opinion is that the ones you mention are all unvoiced.

            Becca

            >From: "thedragonmage86" <dragonmage81186@...>
            >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Flewelling] Re: Pronounciation Guide
            >Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:57:40 -0000
            >

            >Im sorry if i'm nitpicking, i think this will be a valid question:
            >
            >Im a linguistics student, and recently we were given a few lectures on
            >phonetics and phonology. With talk of the pronunciation guide, i
            >thought id have a go at doing a phonetic transcription of the
            >pronunciations that have been floating around.
            >
            >And i came across a conundrum: the letter combination "th" actually
            >stands for to sounds: the unvoiced "th" in "thigh", and the
            >voiced "th" in "the". So which one is used in kyrothius,tharin and
            >thero? Im assuming that thryis uses the unvoiced...its easier.
            >
            >So could i maybe get an official word, or even a general opinion?

            All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial!
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "thedragonmage86" <dragonmage81186@...>
              wrote:

              > And i came across a conundrum: the letter combination "th" actually
              > stands for to sounds: the unvoiced "th" in "thigh", and the
              > voiced "th" in "the".

              That's a very fine distinction, isn't it? I've had to roll them around on my tongue for a
              while. Comes down to where the tongue hits the teeth. Or doesn't, in the case of the
              unvoiced. Very interesting!

              So which one is used in kyrothius,tharin and
              > thero? Im assuming that thryis uses the unvoiced...its easier.

              Kyrothius: Voiced
              Tharin: Unvoiced
              Thero: Unvoiced
              Thryis: Voices

              Hope that helps!

            • Gnine
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2006
                It's partly where the tongue hits the teeth and part the using the
                voice box and not...it's funny, I was just teaching a lesson on these
                sounds, and distinugishing them from the /s/ and /t/ sound and the /z/
                and /d/ sound this week...

                Trying to explain the distinction to Japanese who don't have either of
                the /th/ sounds is fuuuuuuunnn, lemme tell you ^_-

                It's amazing how much you don't know 'bout your own language until you
                try teaching it...I had never even CONSIDERED the slight differences
                in mouth positioning for those two sounds till last week...:-p

                Jeannine

                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling" <otterdance2@...>