I'll be a good girl...

  • M. Dorst
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      ... and briefly introduce myself. So hello there, I'm (presumably) the
      newest member of this list. My name's Monique, I'm 25 years old and I
      live in the Netherlands. I've got an MA in English and hope to get one
      in Literary Studies soon. At the moment I'm waiting for an evaluation of
      the prefinal edition of my master's thesis. Apart from reading, I like
      writing, animals, music and being outdoors.

      Main reason that I've joined up is that I just finished Oracle's Queen
      last week, and the book left me with some questions. But first of all,
      let me say I really liked the book. It wasn't *quite* as good as the
      first two (and particularly Bone Doll's Twin, which is just so
      wonderful), but it was still a satisfying conclusion to a great story! I
      really liked the links between the Tamír story and the Nightrunner
      books. Solun! Hurray! Can I marry him and be Seregils mommy? Please?
      The book was a bit heavy on politics and fighting for my taste, but the
      writing was still beautiful and I loved Tamírs search for her true self.
      Also, I was pleased to see Eyoli make quite a big appearance, he's one
      of my favourites.

      Apart from that, I'd just like to say hi to Lynn and tell her that I'm
      really really really happy that she's coming to Belgium in october. :)

      Best wishes,
      Monique

      So, as for the question... I'd better give fair spoiler-warning, I
      suppose. ;)

      I hope it hasn't already been discussed, but I was wondering about the
      passage in the Nightrunner series where Tamír is mentioned. I recall
      that it was stated that she had gone missing for a while, and I more or
      less presumed that OQ was going to deal with that... but then it didn't.
      So, I'm wondering if we'll ever see that particular episode in her story?
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "M. Dorst" <mdorst@...> wrote:

        > Apart from that, I'd just like to say hi to Lynn and tell her that I'm
        > really really really happy that she's coming to Belgium in october. :)

        I look forward to meeting you!

        > So, as for the question... I'd better give fair spoiler-warning, I
        > suppose. ;)

        > I hope it hasn't already been discussed, but I was wondering about the
        > passage in the Nightrunner series where Tamír is mentioned. I recall
        > that it was stated that she had gone missing for a while, and I more or
        > less presumed that OQ was going to deal with that... but then it didn't.
        > So, I'm wondering if we'll ever see that particular episode in her story?

        As told in the NR books, that event happened *much* later in her life, when she had an
        adult daughter to take the throne, and later surrender it again when Mom came home.
      • moniquedorst
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling" <otterdance2@...>

          > As told in the NR books, that event happened *much* later in her
          life, when she had an
          > adult daughter to take the throne, and later surrender it again when
          Mom came home.

          Oh right, thanks for clearing that up! That reference was none too
          clear in my mind anymore because I read the Nightrunner-series right
          after finishing Hidden Warrior for the first time. I tried to look it
          up, but I was unable to remember where exactly it was positioned. Huh.
          Goes to show I'll have to re-read the Nightrunner books sometime soon.

          Yours,
          Monique
        • Tabby
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
            I don't think I've posted here in some time (and I probably only
            posted once or twice when I actually did), but I just wanted to put in
            my two cents about how good I thought Oracle's Queen was. Just
            finished it today--I started it around when it came out but was away a
            lot of July, so I basically read all of it in the past three days.
            Now I'm in that half-happy, half-sorrowful phase that occurs whenever
            you finish a book that had characters you'll miss like real people. =(

            I went back and found that reference to Tamir in LItS, and got a nice
            proud feeling at its description of her (it's when Alec is passing
            through the canal at Cirna, by the way). References like that are
            what make worlds like Nightrunner's so great and vivid. You really
            feel liked you've been dropped into a place with a deep history
            whenever you read these novels. I also really like how the Tamir
            books do seem to portray an earlier phase of Skala's history--I
            definitely felt like I was reading about a less advanced time than in
            the NR books (especially with the nobility--some of the decadent
            Rhiminee nobles don't seem like they'd have fared so well in the
            warrior culture of Tamir's time!)

            Anyway, I just want to thank Lynn again for writing such incredible
            stories!

            -Tabby