Fantasy Music - Recommendations

  • kabadabumm
    Message 1 of 20 , May 17, 2006
      I love listening to music that in some way fits the atmosphere of the
      fantasy novel I'm currently reading.
      My favourites are ranging from the LotR OST to Irish Folk and some
      Anime Soundtracks (I love Record of Lodoss War).

      What "fantasy-suitable" can YOU recommend?
    • Miya Black
      Message 2 of 20 , May 17, 2006
        Well, Epica is great, a bit of Apocalyptica, and of
        course Rhapsody. As for soundtracks, well, Labyrinth,
        The 10th Kingdom, perhaps Harry Potter, and of course
        any of the LotR trilogy.

        Miya of Geneva

        --- kabadabumm <angelraciel@...> a écrit :

        ---------------------------------
        I love listening to music that in some way fits the
        atmosphere of the
        fantasy novel I'm currently reading.
        My favourites are ranging from the LotR OST to Irish
        Folk and some
        Anime Soundtracks (I love Record of Lodoss War).

        What "fantasy-suitable" can YOU recommend?

        Lynn's official web-site -
        www.sff.net/people/Lynn.Flewelling

        URL to this page:

        Terms of Service.

        Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel.
        Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set
      • Cerri
        Message 3 of 20 , May 17, 2006
          Oddly enough... Blind Guardian songs are great for that. Seriously - awesome band, great lyrics, and the vocals! :)

          Other bands along those lines... Nightwish, Edguy, Avantasia (a metal "opera" with a fantasy plot - really cool)... There's probably a bunch more, but I can't think of them.

          --CerriC

        • summershadows_winterlight
          Message 4 of 20 , May 17, 2006
            My topic :D

            First of all: http://estuans-interius.summershadows.org for medieval
            music
            Second of all, my favourite fantasy music is and will always be the
            DSA (das schwarze auge) music (german rpg, avaiable in the US as
            'realms as arcania' I think?). I also enjoy the Diablo OSTs a lot.
            Well yes, and assorted medieval and medieval-inspired music. Adaro,
            Dead can Dance, Estampie, Stille Volk...
            Irish Folk too, yes. And medieval rock, like e.g. Subway to Sally.
            :D

            Ch.

            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "kabadabumm" <angelraciel@...> wrote:

            > I love listening to music that in some way fits the atmosphere of the
            > fantasy novel I'm currently reading.
            > My favourites are ranging from the LotR OST to Irish Folk and some
            > Anime Soundtracks (I love Record of Lodoss War).
            >
            > What "fantasy-suitable" can YOU recommend?

          • Mana
            Message 5 of 20 , May 17, 2006
              I strongly recommend Blind Guardian/Iced Earth/Demons and Wizards if
              you want Fantasy based music. All 3 (D&W is actually a group composed
              of members from both BG and IE) have done music based on Lord of the
              Rings, and D&W's latest album, based on the Dark Tower series by
              Stephen king, is a very good album. Subway to Sally is also pretty
              decent.

              --
              <3
              Proud Moderator at: http://www.animeacademy.com/
              Message 6 of 20 , May 18, 2006
                Subway to Sally is great but they have German lyrics. Not much fun for
                people who don't understand it.

                Tawariel

                Mana wrote:

                >I strongly recommend Blind Guardian/Iced Earth/Demons and Wizards if
                >you want Fantasy based music. All 3 (D&W is actually a group composed
                >of members from both BG and IE) have done music based on Lord of the
                >Rings, and D&W's latest album, based on the Dark Tower series by
                >Stephen king, is a very good album. Subway to Sally is also pretty
                >decent.

              • Mana
                Message 7 of 20 , May 18, 2006
                  On 5/18/06, Tawariel <tawariel@...> wrote:

                  > Subway to Sally is great but they have German lyrics. Not much fun for
                  > people who don't understand it.
                  >
                  > Tawariel

                  I don't understand a lick of German (besides a few Saxon curses I
                  learned from my grandmother), but I still enjoy Subway to Sally.
                  Lyrics are only one small part of what makes music, and if the rest of
                  the elements are very good, what matter does it make if you can't
                  understand the words much?

                  Then again, I also listen to a large amount of music from other
                  countries, from bands who both sing in English and in their native
                  tongue.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 18, 2006
                    Just thought of another... Theatre of Tragedy, but only their older stuff. All the lyrics are in.... er, middle or old english.... I can't actually remember which....

                    --CerriC

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 18, 2006
                      You don't understand Subway to Sally? But, but... you are missing half
                      the fun! o.O

                      Tawariel

                      Mana wrote:

                      >I don't understand a lick of German (besides a few Saxon curses I
                      >learned from my grandmother), but I still enjoy Subway to Sally.
                      >Lyrics are only one small part of what makes music, and if the rest of
                      >the elements are very good, what matter does it make if you can't
                      >understand the words much?
                      >
                      >Then again, I also listen to a large amount of music from other
                      >countries, from bands who both sing in English and in their native
                      >tongue.

                    • kabadabumm
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                        Thanks for all the suggestions! I've listened to alot of them on
                        amazon and some really sound interesting.
                        But although I love metal, to me fantasy music is, well, incompatible
                        with e-guitars and 180 bps background drums...
                        (Still I guess I'll have the latest Subway to Sally album and maybe
                        sth of Blind Guardian^^)

                        Anyway, what I had in mind was more like LotR OST (violins, rather
                        slow melodies, harps etc..) or Irish, maybe even Scottish folk music
                        which creates an atmosphere thats reminiscent of English highlands in
                        Arthurian times or sth. like that.

                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Cerri <cerri_elseth@...> wrote:

                        > Just thought of another... Theatre of Tragedy, but only their older
                        stuff. All the lyrics are in.... er, middle or old english.... I
                        can't actually remember which....

                        > --CerriC

                      • Kc2
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                          For me, I cannot stand any lyrics while writing - too distracting. I repeatedly listen to Hans Zimmer's "The Last Samurai" and "King Arthur."

                          Others - besides the beloved LotR - I truly enjoy are:

                          T'ai Chi - the $10 CD you can buy at Wal-Mart in the candles section
                          Braveheart soundtrack
                          Troy soundtrack
                          And ... when I need something a little lighter - Disney's Brother Bear featuring Phil Collins' music.

                          <shrugs>

                          It takes all kinds!

                          Kc

                        • Cerri
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                            Well if Irish-ness is what you're looking for... Try Loreena McKinnet. (Not sure if I'm spelling that right.) She sings an abbreviated (but still long) version of The Lady of Shallot, sung and set to music - beautiful. Also, one of my favorites, the Highwayman. Several songs about faeries and such as well. Beautiful voice, beautiful music...

                            --CerriC

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                              In that case try looking for Corvus Corax. It's a German band that play
                              medieval music. They started playing on medieval fairs and now have
                              their own concerts. *g*
                              For medieval I could also recommend Saltatio Mortis. Their Older stuff
                              is very stylish, the later stuff in more electronic.

                              Tawariel

                              kabadabumm wrote:

                              >Thanks for all the suggestions! I've listened to alot of them on
                              >amazon and some really sound interesting.
                              >But although I love metal, to me fantasy music is, well, incompatible
                              >with e-guitars and 180 bps background drums...
                              >(Still I guess I'll have the latest Subway to Sally album and maybe
                              >sth of Blind Guardian^^)
                              >
                              >Anyway, what I had in mind was more like LotR OST (violins, rather
                              >slow melodies, harps etc..) or Irish, maybe even Scottish folk music
                              >which creates an atmosphere thats reminiscent of English highlands in
                              >Arthurian times or sth. like that.

                            • jilell
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Cerri <cerri_elseth@...> wrote:

                                > Well if Irish-ness is what you're looking for... Try Loreena
                                > McKinnet.

                                Yes, Loreena McKennitt is wonderful, especially her albums
                                The Visit and The Book of Secrets.

                                I can't believe no one's mentioned Clannad! They were the
                                first band I recall fusing Celtic music with moody pop. I've
                                always found their music very evocative of Middle Earth and
                                other faraway lands. You might remember their song I Will
                                Find You from the film The Last of the Mohicans.

                                And Enya (little sister of Clannad members), did a wonderful
                                soundtrack for a BBC show called The Celts.

                                Jill
                              • sylvia
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                                  My favorite fantasy soundtrack is definitely with the medieaval baebes and
                                  one of my favorite fantasy cd is called something like early venetian lute
                                  music. So tranquil, and perfect for high fantasy novels with a medieval
                                  setting :)
                                • Cerri
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                                    I thought of mentioning Enya, but it just seems to me that all of her stuff sounds the same. Enya even does a song for LOTR, "May it Be".

                                    Loreena McKennitt (I checked my CD for the spelling this time!) did a song for the Mists of Avalon soundtrack - I love that song!! All of hers are great, but my titles are on the other comp, so I can't list any...

                                    Leaves Eyes is a softer, slower band with some interesting songs, but a lot of them sound similar, so...

                                    Nightwish has some slower songs, "Two for Tragedy" is so incredibly beautiful, and it's slow, so....

                                    "A Distance There Is" by Theatre of Tragedy is slow, too, and so is "Angelique", I think. And for songs without lyrics... Therion is lovely, but they can be a little harder too.

                                    As far as the "violins, rather slow melodies, harps etc.." goes... Most of the metal bands I listed use those too! Ummm, Blind Guardian does a LOTR soundtrack-type-thing that details all of the events of the Silmarillon (spelling?). Edguy has a couple of slow songs... "Scarlet Rose" is a great one... Avantasia is completely amazing; a nice, celtic-sounding slow song is "Farewell". A slow song by Blind Guardian is... "Harvest Sorrow"... and "The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight" (about Tristan and Isolde, actually) is amazing, but a little harder. Oh, they also do one called "Mordred's Song" which is harder but awesome too (about Mordred from Arthurian legend).

                                    Hope that helps!

                                    --CerriC

                                  • Rachel Dunne
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 19, 2006
                                      I have only one song to suggest, and it may not even fit this category, but
                                      "Circle" by Slipknot is...well, it makes me think Celtic whenever I hear of
                                      it, though I know absolutely nothing of Celtic music. I believe the song has
                                      violins, though I know as much about instruments as I do about Celtic music.
                                      A very nice voice, good lyrics, an all-round good song in my mind. The very
                                      beginning and very end are a bit...strange...but nothing to make you cringe,
                                      just lift an eyebrow slightly and wonder 'Why?' All of Slipknot's other
                                      stuff is heavy metal, so I was very surprised to find the little gem of a
                                      song on their CD...anyway, just had to throw in my two cents.
                                      ~*Rachel
[...]

                                      Science fiction book publisher
                                      Book author Science fiction book club Science fiction book store

                                      Service.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 22, 2006
                                        Natalie MacMasters is an amazing celtic musician. I picked up her cd "In My
                                        Hands" on a whim and it has become one of my favorites to listen to while
                                        reading. Lots of reels and jigs. Very fun. I get distracted with lyrics so I tend
                                        to listen to instrumental and classical music while reading, however I couldn't
                                        tell you much of specific classical pieces. I have a couple of those
                                        "Classical Music For a Perfect Weekend" kind of compilations.
                                        sara

                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 26, 2006
                                          Just to add to this... while its not strictly fantasy inspired music, Im
                                          rather fond of a composer called John Harle, he's classically trained, writes a
                                          lot of theme music too, he wrote the theme to Silent Witness for example.
                                          Anyway his music is often a combination of old music styles and contemporary.
                                          Silencium is a lovely album to listen to if you can get hold of a copy.
                                          There's also Songs from a History of Britain, which has some lovely Shakespearean
                                          sonnets set to music and a morbid version of the Three Ravens.

                                          I was looking through amazon the one day looking for some old albums and I
                                          saw Ritchie Blackmore, of Rainbow etc fame has a group that is making sort of
                                          folky fantasy stuff these days.

                                        • Paula Lieberman
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 26, 2006
                                            If no one has mentioned filk

                                            http://www.filk.com/filk101.htm

                                            "...FILKSINGERS:

                                            "...Traditionally a filksinger is someone who comes from the Science Fiction
                                            Fannish community. They have also tended to be amateur performers and
                                            songwriters because they do this once in a while and they don't do it to
                                            make any kind of money, they do it because it is fun. There are exceptions
                                            to this where a handful of Filksingers are professional musicians and some
                                            professional musicians have hung out with us filkers not knowing what the
                                            Science Fiction Fannish community is. But generally speaking most
                                            filksingers just attend the late- night filk singing circles at conventions
                                            (often these events are not even mentioned in the program book, but one
                                            learns where to go). Eventually, they may wind up attending monthly filk
                                            house sings (See Chapter 3, What is a House Filk) or even a filk convention
                                            where people do nothing but sing and listen to singers.

                                            "In recent years some fans have gotten very good at performing. This
                                            performer is a new hybrid of filksingers who is a semi-professional where
                                            they are good enough that they a have been recorded and their material has
                                            been put onto CDs. We call them semi-professional not because of their
                                            quality but because they are not trying to make a living from performing and
                                            recording, they are mainly doing for the fun of it. These performers CDs are
                                            not sold in stores and have almost no distribution. They are sold at
                                            conventions, the Internet and occasionally get airplay on Dr. Demento or
                                            other small radio shows...."

                                            http://www.filk.com/links.htm

                                            has a list of websites of various "filk" musicians, including:

                                            "HEATHER ALEXANDER - http://www.heatherlands.com
                                            Celtic/Rock/folk? Her musical style may cover a wide range but no matter the
                                            style this fiddle player sings and kicks major A**. Do not miss listening
                                            to her or seeing her in concert.

                                            "AVALON RISING - http://www.flowinglass.com/avalon
                                            Celtic Rock band featuring Margaret Davis, Kristoph Klover, Kevin Fanning,
                                            Cat Taylor, Mark Ungar. Part of the Flowing Glass Studios. All of their
                                            works are HIGHLY recommend.

                                            "JOE BETHANCOURT - http://www.locksley.com/
                                            The man of many instruments and he can play them ALL. He is an amazing
                                            performer and has written so many songs I think that everyone has lost track
                                            of the number. He is a traditional folk performer but does hang out with us
                                            filkers

                                            "THE BLACK BOOK BAND - http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac/funfacts.htm
                                            The band is made up of Barry and Sally Childs-Helton, Michael P.
                                            Kube-McDowell, Gwen Zak, and Mary Ellen Wessels. Lots of fun and highly
                                            recommended. [yes, that's Michael Kube-McDowell the SF writer]

                                            "MEG DAVIS - http://megdavis.tripod.com/index.htm
                                            Meg Davis is an outstanding folk artist with an unbelievable voice. Much of
                                            here material has been out of print for a few years and now is coming back.
                                            Listen to Captain Jack and the Mermaid album and get hooked. It's finally
                                            back in print and on CD.

                                            "PHOENIX - http://www.altrion.org/phoenix/
                                            Phoenix is a UK-based band who plays SF/Fantasy inspired rock/filk - both
                                            originals and parodies of better known songs. (Not to be confused with the
                                            defunct west coast based band Phoenyx, featuring Heather Alexander) This
                                            groups members include: Tim Walker, Phil Allcock, Anne ('Annie') Walker,
                                            Anne Whitaker,Lissa Allcock, Mike Whitaker

                                            "CARLA ULBRICH - http://www.carlau.com/index.html
                                            She's been compared to everyone from Christine Lavin to Chet Atkins to Jerry
                                            Seinfeld. And anyone who writes a song called: "We Don't Need a Wal-Mart" is
                                            OK in my book..."

                                            http://www.filk.com/radio.htm is streaming audio