Re: [Flewelling] Re: Fantasy novels

  • T Safford
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 30, 2006
      If you like dark and funny intermixed, I just got through reading Simon R.
      Green's "Something From the Nightside" series, and they are quite good. They
      keep moving between very very dark and sick humor, but I find them
      incredibly entertaining.

      Also good is the "Empty Crown" trilogy by Rosemary Edgehill. (The Sword of
      Maiden's Tears, The Cup of Morning Shadows, and The Cloak of Night and
      Daggers.) I'm not sure if they're still in print, but...if you can find
      them, read them.

      -BradS
      --
      Man is made of earth and clay, a drop of blood, a patch of skin
      But you are made of sunlight's play, of running water, rushing wind.

    • David Brown
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 17, 2006
        For me, it's all about the politics. Bring on the scheming 3rd cousin of
        the King's bastard; the twisted acolyte who becomes Prefect but leaves a
        trail of angry, vengeful (and motivated peers) in his wake; the
        complicated (and clever) staging of events at the reception, where if
        everything goes right, the abusive regent will lose favor with her
        powerful supporters.

        At this point in my fantasy genre consumption, I find "the wizard
        calling his magic dragon" less intriguing. That's just me. I prefer it
        when mere mortals have to work the system to get the job done. The more
        complicated the machinations, the better.

        There doesn't seem to be a lot of Jordan (some good news in the health
        dept <http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=58> , btw) fans in
        this forum (or they're in the closet), but when his tale turns to Tar
        Valon (those witches!!!), I settle in for a nice mix of magic and
        politics. I think Robin Hobbs and Kate Elliott have also struck a great
        balance between unnatural (or natural) forces and the political workings
        that drive the bulk of the societies. And Flewelling, of course.

        Thanks for the referrals. Any more authors/titles with rather knotty
        political intrigues are appreciated.

        - David

        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Lieberman" <paal@...> wrote:

        . . . > I got through 2 + of the Kushiel books, and bogged down in the
        third. I