Re to Lynn about Welsh

  • Addie Underwood
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 4, 2006
      there are a few tricks
      w makes a double o sound as in "root"

      y makes usually an i sound as in "is"

      ll (double l) is illusive... it makes a thl sound... sorta like a cat hacking up a hairball... but softer... one of those things you have to hear and mimick I suppose

      dd (double d) makes a th sound as in "hath"

      Some examples?
      Aberystwydd (place name sometimes spelled with the th not the dd)
      a-burr-iss-too-ith
      syt ydych ti (how are you)
      sut i-ditch tea

      As for your last lame, the F probabaly came in when someone said that hairball Ll in the begining of LLewellyn and the closest the person writing it down could come was an f. Thats because a Ll at the beging of the word/nam is a harder sound than that in the center with is softened by the letters arund it.

      If this is so then it is possible you could trace you lineage back to Iorwerth. That'd be cool, he's a famous lord.

      *Sigh* I was never so lucky... I'm an Underwood... I have German/English from one side and half Portugese half American Heinz 57 from the other... Portugese is my dominating trait.

      (Note: I study HISTORICAL WELSH LITERATURE just so everyone knows. My welsh is not fluent though I do know lots of random pronunciation stuffs and can even input some historical stuff!)
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 15, 2007
        Hello,

        I was reading old posts and the following post reminded me...

        Has anyone tried the lj community whatwasthatbook? Is it any good?

        little Alex