Re: [Flewelling] Toothless Seregil

  • Andrea Chavez
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
      Hi Norm

      You pose an interesting problem with the writing
      field. You see, unless it is vital to the plot, most
      things that occur in a bathroom are not particularly
      interesting to a reader. I know in my meager attempt
      at writing I occasionaly wonder if I should mention
      the fact that my people actually do clean their teeth,
      etc. But I have worked it into the scene somehow. I
      took my characters to a fair once and the local
      barber/surgeon/dentist had set up shop and was pulling
      teeth and my characters rubbed their own jaw grateful
      for their good dental hygiene!!
      I've had characters get sick before and therefore
      could mention the chamberpots under the bed or the
      privy, but I had to make it part of the story or it
      was just there for no good reason.

      I, for one, don't see Seregil as toothless!!! :-)
      Remember, he is a young man in the world of the 'faie
      and still at the peak of his health.

      Also-- Don't forget MAGIC -- perhaps there are some
      basic spells that won't freak out on Seregil!!

      just my thoughts, of course!!

      Andrea -- back from Africa -- where the teeth are
      amazingly well-treated for the most part

      --- Norman Schwarze <noerml@...> wrote:
      > Hi everybody,
      >
      > I just wondered if Seregil is toothless. I mean he,
      > as Thero for that
      > matter, is something around sixty and I don't know

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
        > You see, unless it is vital to the plot, most things that occur in a
        > bathroom are not particularly interesting to a reader.
        As a possibly interesting side note, I came across my first mention of
        bathrooms in SciFi this past weekend. I'm working my way through Simon
        Green's Deathstalker books, and in the first chapter of book 2
        (Deathstalker Rebellion), there is actually a bathroom bit. I was quite
        rather impressed.

        Ae.
      • Norman Schwarze
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000

          > Rie (who has a passport that has never been used....*sniff*)

          You really never hab been to a foreign country?
          Never ever?

          Why not?

          Nörml
        • agnes swart
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
            >1.
            >Alec asked Seregil what to do this afternoon and he replied:
            >"Sorry
            >Alec, no night running toady we have an appointment at the
            >dentist."

            aparently, caries is a problem of the modern, sweet and soda-pop world.

            in egipt, all dental-related problems were caused by little pieces of stone
            in the bread, mulling away teeth over the years.

            but no rotten holes...

            maybe they're just really smart eaters?
          • ari
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
              > I, for one, don't see Seregil as toothless!!! :-)
              > Remember, he is a young man in the world of the 'faie
              > and still at the peak of his health.

              'faie simply don't get bad teeth?

              's fantasy, after all.

              ari
            • Rie Sheridan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
                Perhaps the Aurenfaie have perfect teeth for life. After all, their
                lifespans are longer, so it would take longer for human frailties to kick in
                anyway. Personally, I prefer my fantasy with a touch of unreality. I don't
                really care to speculate about mundane details of hygiene....

              • Rie Sheridan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2000
                  Welcome back from Africa, Andrea! How was it?