Lock collection

  • Lydia
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 25, 2005
      I have a question about Seregil's lock collection:

      In the book I think I recall somewhere that it was observed that some
      of the locks in Seregil's collection (provided for Alec to practice
      on) still had bits of the wooden doors connected to them. Did that
      mean that Seregil had, at the time of acquiring them, given up at
      picking them and simply kicked the door through, then pocketed the
      locks to fiddle with later?

      (Sounds to me like something he might do if he knew he could get away
      with it! I would like to see the face of a person who realised the
      only thing of any value really pilfered from his wealthy home was the
      door's supposedly impenetrable lock...)

      Schala
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
        Now ofcourse i did not write the book, so maybe Lynn only can give
        us insight, as always *chuckle*
        *swoon*... our beloved godess, but since she'S currently a bit...
        unrestily *grin*... maybe i can have a try at answering

        i never stumbled about that. i plainly asumed that he aquired them
        when old houses were being torn down... figure things you can easily
        get from bulky waste. Maybe he also knows a smith or some "security
        guy" who is in charge of installing new "safety doors"... I figure,
        that would be replacing the whole door, not just the lock itself.
        Naturally that's too cumbersome for Seregil appartment up the
        cockerel...
        how about that?

        sawing out a lock or even kicking through a door... honestly that
        does NOT sound like Seregil at all.On the other hand what would be
        making sense... maybe in his younger days he came across a few doors
        he could not open, so he used more... say brutal means ;-) and
        retrieved the look, so he can practise with it back home?
        But i don't want to picture Seregil kicking through a door...he's my
        masterthief.. not some backwatertown burgler, eh? :)

        noerml - On a sidenote MERRY X-MAS (tho in the past days i've hear
        that very sentence about 1000 times, i am really getting sick of
        it :P one last time for you guys, cuz u are so special *smirk*

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
          Heh! You do realize you're asking about something I came up with 20+ years ago?
          Anyway, there's no one answer to that. Some came from deserted places, some he
          probably purchased from master locksmiths, or had specially designed, others did come
          from houses he broke into, a saw a clever lock and thought "hey, that's neat. Guess I'll
          take it." It's the sort of thing he collected out of professional interest.

          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@u...> wrote:>
          > Now ofcourse i did not write the book, so maybe Lynn only can give
          > us insight, as always *chuckle*
          > *swoon*... our beloved godess, but since she'S currently a bit...
          > unrestily *grin*... maybe i can have a try at answering
          >
          > i never stumbled about that. i plainly asumed that he aquired them
          > when old houses were being torn down... figure things you can easily
          > get from bulky waste. Maybe he also knows a smith or some "security
          > guy" who is in charge of installing new "safety doors"... I figure,
          > that would be replacing the whole door, not just the lock itself.
          > Naturally that's too cumbersome for Seregil appartment up the
          > cockerel...
          > how about that?
          >
          > sawing out a lock or even kicking through a door... honestly that
          > does NOT sound like Seregil at all.On the other hand what would be
          > making sense... maybe in his younger days he came across a few doors
          > he could not open, so he used more... say brutal means ;-) and
          > retrieved the look, so he can practise with it back home?
          > But i don't want to picture Seregil kicking through a door...he's my
          > masterthief.. not some backwatertown burgler, eh? :)
          >
          > noerml - On a sidenote MERRY X-MAS (tho in the past days i've hear
          > that very sentence about 1000 times, i am really getting sick of
          > it :P one last time for you guys, cuz u are so special *smirk*
          >

          > > I have a question about Seregil's lock collection:
          > >
          > > In the book I think I recall somewhere that it was observed that
          > some
          > > of the locks in Seregil's collection (provided for Alec to
          > practice
          > > on) still had bits of the wooden doors connected to them. Did that
          > > mean that Seregil had, at the time of acquiring them, given up at
          > > picking them and simply kicked the door through, then pocketed the
          > > locks to fiddle with later?
          > >
          > > (Sounds to me like something he might do if he knew he could get
          > away
          > > with it! I would like to see the face of a person who realised the
          > > only thing of any value really pilfered from his wealthy home was
          > the
          > > door's supposedly impenetrable lock...)
          > >
          > > Schala

        • Ridia
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
            One wonders if he ever broke into a house juuuuuust to
            steal a lock... xD

            -=Ridia=-
            AIM: IRidiaI | MSN: xridiax@... | Furcadia: Ridia
            http://us.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Ridia
            http://ridia.deviantart.com

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
              > > Heh! You do realize you're asking about something I
              > > came up with 20+ years ago?

              that long?... gosh! thought it was like 15ish or so at max.

              on a sidenote. Sometime you just add details, to make the read more
              interesting, add more "pictures". The more details there are, the more
              vivid the whole thing gets in my opinion. And even though i myself ask
              those questions at times, you have to keep in mind, it's a book and
              not real, not everything needs to be explained, and not everything can
              be explained.
              After all if Lynn or Lynn's editior would worry about each such
              detail... writing a book would take ages.
              I once read some biography on Tolkien.. he worried about such shit...
              if the sun rises makes sense and such things ;-)
              ah well... whatever :)

              noerml
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@u...> wrote:

                > > > Heh! You do realize you're asking about something I
                > > > came up with 20+ years ago?
                >
                > that long?... gosh! thought it was like 15ish or so at max.

                I started dabbling around the *very* first glimmering of Luck in the summer of 1983. It was
                a long haul to publication. ;-)
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
                  > I started dabbling around the *very* first glimmering of Luck in the
                  summer of 1983. It was
                  > a long haul to publication. ;-)

                  yay! i am almost as old as LITS... I mean.. I am young.. the book is
                  old, if you get what i mean *smirk*
                  Though they say age is a number, it's the looks that count. But
                  honestly... you wouldn't want to see my copy of Lits, it definetly
                  looks a bit....used up is way to euphemistic for my taste there
                  *chuckles*

                  noerml
                • Suzanne
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 27, 2005
                    I like that. Adding insult to injury by stealing the lock. Even worse
                    if he decided that the lock was the only thing of interest. >^_^<

                    B*B
                    Suzanne
                    http://home.comcast.net/~arirashkae

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 27, 2005
                      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Suzanne <ariRashkae@c...> wrote:

                      > I like that. Adding insult to injury by stealing the lock. Even
                      worse
                      > if he decided that the lock was the only thing of interest. >^_^<

                      well for one part seregil isn't really stealing for money i guess.
                      Also the landlord or whatever won't see that as insult but will wonder
                      about that lunatic burgler ;-)

                      noermls two cents
                    • Purchase Family
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                        12 years!!! Wow. So only another 9 to go for me.

                        I think I'll take up drinking!

                        Nigel