OT Horses was Re: Here's another question....

  • Maryrose Lockerbie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2000

      > AS. (gotta stop talking horses you guys...I'm enjoying this far too much.)

      Well, personally, although I can't speak for everyone, I don't mind all this
      talk about horses, because while I write fantasy which often has horses as
      an integral component, I don't know diddly squat about them, and quite
      frankly I'm terrified of them, largely due to an ill tempered black brute of
      a gelding who was constantly trying to step on my foot when I was leading
      him around a ring when I volunteered (for a very short period) with riding
      for the disabled. And he never got above a grudging walk anyway.

      I mean, just what is spavined? And what is foundering and how does the poor
      animal have the misfortune to suffer from this condition. How far can a
      horse travel in one day at a walk? What about the courier horses that go at
      a gallop (do courier horses go at a gallop?), how often do they have to be
      swapped? And all that fancy bridle and halter and saddle stuff? And what
      should you feed the beasties in the first place? See, lots of things that
      often aren't considered by fantasies writer's but are quite important. One
      of the things that amuses me about my own writing for instance is that the
      main character is a mangy mercenary who, despite his apparrent poverty can
      still afford a horse . .

      Anyway, I'll shut up now,

      Mere <the horse ignorant>