Re: [Flewelling] Re: Japan edition

  • T Safford
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 3, 2005
      My two cents:
      E is pronounced similar to the name of the English letter "A". This is
      like the end of the word day, except with less emphasis on the y
      portion.

      >.< It's really hard to express sounds in letters, if you think about
      it. I almost want to upload some wav files of speaking to really
      illustrate what the sounds are like.

      -Brad
      --
      Man is made of earth and clay, a drop of blood, a patch of skin
      But you are made of sunlight's play, of running water, rushing wind.
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 3, 2005
        mmm.... can´t really make a reference to english pronuntiation because
        I´m not english.

        But having visited japan some times, having seen anime in original
        version for years and years, usually listening japanese bands, seeing
        japanese movies and doramas quite often... and having studied japanese
        some time... And, of course being spanish.

        I can afirm that nobody ever heard such a thing as japanese common e
        being different to spanish common e.

        I don´t know what books says. But I know what I hear and understands,
        and no one ever corrected any spaniard for their e pronuntiation or
        had problems being understood. So, if there is any difference between
        our e and their e... it must be so minimal that it's totally
        negligible.

        Minako.

        On 10/3/05, Jessica Fisher <Jessica_Fisher@...> wrote:
        > Okay, I hate to be picky too, but pronouncing "e" as in "raise" is
        > actually a very common pronunciation mistake that English speakers
        > make, unless maybe I am misunderstanding you (or maybe you were taught
        > a different dialect than I was). According to "An Introduction to
        > Modern Japanese" by Mizutani and Mizutani, "e is like the vowel in
        > "egg" but the mouth is not opened as wide," and according to the Oxford
        > Starter Japanese Dictionary, "'e' as in "bed". The Random House
        > Japanese-English/English-Japanese Dictionary says it is "e" as in "met."
        >
        > I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just want to make sure that it
        > is clear what the correct pronunciation is. I could be wrong, I am not
        > a native Japanese speaker, so if you have a reference that says it is
        > pronounced like "ai" please let me know. I think in Spanish and some
        > other Romance languages "e" is pronounced like the "ai" in "raise," but
        > not in Japanese (unless maybe in some different dialect than standard
        > Tokyo Japanese).
        >
        > ~Jessica
        >
        > On Sunday, October 2, 2005, at 01:00 PM, Heidi Hobson wrote:
        >
        > > I hate to be picky, and you got it right spelling out Uethis
        > > phonetically, but e is pronounced eh as in the ai in raise, not like
        > > in elephant.

        > > Lynn's official web-site - www.sff.net/people/Lynn.Flewelling
        > >
        > > Post message: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subscribe: Flewelling-subscribe@yahoogroups.com