Brokeback Mountain

  • Nigel Purchase
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 12, 2005
      Annie Proulx's gay love story on film. I'll be seeing this one, that's
      for sure. (Didn't see Troy or Alexander)

      A short article
      http://www.theage.com.au/news/film/heath-moving-up/2005/09/13/1126377289030.html
    • Rachel Dunne
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 23, 2006
        *
        ~
        *
        *
        ~
        *
        *
        ~
        *

        > Claudia wohlfeil wrote:
        > See, I think Jack was gay.....but that Ennis happened to fall in love
        with a man.
        > Not so much as he was gay, but that he fell in love with Jack and
        couldn't
        reconcile
        > those feelings. If it had been any other man, Ennis wouldn't
        necessarily have
        > fallen in love. But he did. And because of who he was, his own
        prejudices, and
        > the time period, his only a! ction was inaction.

        I disagree...partly. Jack was gay, yes, but I think Ennis was, too...he was
        just to afraid of what it would mean if he admitted it to himself or to
        Jack. If he hadn't met Jack, I don't know that he would ever have realized
        those feelings...but he DID meet Jack, and they fell in love. I think Ennis
        was afraid that if he admitted he was gay, it would be like going against
        everything he'd ever been taught, and that he'd have to admit that he really
        wanted to spend the rest of his life with Jack. If he kept up the lie that
        was his life, he could be "normal," and in that normality, he was
        comfortable, safe. JAck was unpredictable, offering an uncertain future
        along with his naive love. Part of Ennis wants that more than anything, but
        a greater part of him is afraid of what that would mean for his life. He
        might have been afraid, too, that if they spent more time together than they
        already were, they would grow to hate each other, and by that time Ennis
        would have already given up his life. He'd have nothing to go back to, and
        so would be as trapped as he was in the lie. It was just safer to stay where
        he was.

        I've spent an equally great amount of time thinking about this. =)

        ~*Rachel