Re: [Flewelling] Re: The four strands of hair

  • Purchase Family
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
      My own experience writing novels is that some of the details are all too easy to forget -- embarrassingly.

      But I found the locks of hair intriguing. And I wonder whether one evening, perhaps a little sozzled on too much wine, Seregil opens the drawer, and remembers them.

      Nigel
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@u...> wrote:
        > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling"
        > <otterdance2@a...> wrote:
        > > LOL! Another minor "color" detail I'd forgotten all about. You
        > guys are so good at
        > > ferreting those out. They were just tokens from some of Seregil's
        > *many* lovers. Not
        > > meant to have any significance beyond that.
        > >

        > > Lynn :-)
        >
        > yah well, of course one should always be aware of the writting
        > process, and it's extremly hard, or say time consuming, to write a
        > whole book where every detail can be explained. In most cases also
        > very.. erm.. well useless.

        Actually, it's a significant detail. Locks of hair are a common love token, which i assumed
        most readers would recognize. As Nigel points out, Wheel Street is all about show. This is
        where "Lord Seregil", the intriguing, dissipated expatriate, entertains his conquests among
        the nobles. If the locks of hair are there, it is because he thinks someone might look for
        them, like the lover in question, or someone he wants to make jealous.

        > Still!...you'd throw them away - at least i would - if they were
        > from insignificant lovers. Those are the things you only keep if
        > hm...i mean Seregil is that sort of guy who has a lot of weird stuff
        > about him, sure, but most of it is valuable, in one or the other way.
        > On the other hand he wouldn't keep important stuff in the wheel
        > street, would he? ah.. questions over questions :)
        >
        > Ah well.. always those "anoying" devotee's searching for meaning
        > under every stone the godess walked over *smirk*
        >
        > noerml - hoping he did not cause his godess to re-read the chapters
        > of Tamir III so far writen, thus delaying the release more :P
      • wessyx
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 15, 2005
          Nigel
          quote

          "And I wonder whether one evening, perhaps a little
          sozzled on too much wine, Seregil opens the drawer,
          and remembers them."

          I like the way your mind works.;)

          W.

          http://mail.yahoo.com