Re: ORACLE'S QUEEN snippet teaser

    Message 1 of 27 , May 4, 2005
      Sorry about the wonky formatting. Whether I wrap the text or not it comes out looking like
      this. Grrr.

    • rafslade
      Message 2 of 27 , May 4, 2005
        Just finding out that the next book is coming out is enough for me!
        Can't wait to see more of Tobin.

        Paul
      • Squall Morpheus Leonhart
        Message 3 of 27 , May 4, 2005
          I understand this snippet a little bit better than the one you gave
          the group in Feb mainly because I knew Lutha already. It's really
          good, Lynn and I don't really mind the text going off like that.
          Can't
          wait for the next book release!
        • silverhawk9p9
          Message 4 of 27 , May 4, 2005
            <otterdance2@a...> wrote:
            > From ORACLE'S QUEEN, a work in progress by Lynn Flewelling.
            Copyright 2005. Do not
            > repost, copy, or reproduce.

            This brought to mind again a question thats bugged me since Hidden
            Warrior... Why did you recycle a couple of minor character's names
            from Night-Runner for the other minor characters in the other books?

            The only two reasons I can think of is to provide continuity between
            the two worlds or because you like the names Luthas and there are a
            couple, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

            AND I REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT AS COINCIDENCE! I've read too many novels
            for that.
          • Paula Lieberman
            Message 5 of 27 , May 4, 2005
              > This brought to mind again a question thats bugged me since Hidden
              > Warrior... Why did you recycle a couple of minor character's names
              > from Night-Runner for the other minor characters in the other books?
              >
              > The only two reasons I can think of is to provide continuity between
              > the two worlds or because you like the names Luthas and there are a
              > couple, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
              >
              > AND I REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT AS COINCIDENCE! I've read too many novels
              > for that.

              I don't see a problem--how many Roberts, Janes, Elizabeths, Maries, Marys,
              Henrys, Johns, Debras, etc., have there been through history?! Names -do-
              get reused and recycled. And there are the cases where there were classes
              with four Susans, three Roberts, two Johns, three Richards, etc., just in
              one school system in the same -room- of the same grade!
            • summershadows_winterlight
              Message 6 of 27 , May 4, 2005
                Woo O_o;
                Actually, I always have an 'aha!'-experience when finding a familiar
                name. I think it's sad that so many authors *don't* do it, because as
                said before, names just do repeat in normal life, and that fact gives
                books like Lynn's another lovely realtistic touch.
                And seriously.. do you expect the poor people to make up new names for
                every child, and check all archives if the name has been there before,
                and so on and so on?

                Charlotte

                Message 7 of 27 , May 5, 2005
                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Lieberman" <paal@g...> wrote:
                  > I don't see a problem--how many Roberts, Janes, Elizabeths, Maries,
                  Marys,
                  > Henrys, Johns, Debras, etc., have there been through history?!
                  Names -do-
                  > get reused and recycled. And there are the cases where there were
                  classes
                  > with four Susans, three Roberts, two Johns, three Richards, etc.,
                  just in
                  > one school system in the same -room- of the same grade!

                  Novels are (despite how realistic they are) not real life. I've taken
                  enough years of a certain way of learning to know that 70% of the
                  time, things in a novel are purposeful. The other 30% is unintentional.

                  Oh, and 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
                • Paula Lieberman
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 5, 2005
                    > > I don't see a problem--how many Roberts, Janes, Elizabeths, Maries,
                    > Marys,
                    > > Henrys, Johns, Debras, etc., have there been through history?!
                    > Names -do-
                    > > get reused and recycled. And there are the cases where there were
                    > classes
                    > > with four Susans, three Roberts, two Johns, three Richards, etc.,
                    > just in
                    > > one school system in the same -room- of the same grade!
                    >
                    > Novels are (despite how realistic they are) not real life. I've taken

                    I find it very annoying that there aren't people with replicated names in a
                    lot of novels, ESPECIALLY since when there are, it's almost always a plot
                    elements, such as a socially prominent person being able to continue using
                    their first name because everyone else their age was named after them....
                    here we have Princess Elspeth out hiding in plain sight because without her
                    bodyguards and Royal Attire she's just one more of the 739 Elspeths born in
                    Capitalcity that year and the 2539 born within four years of her birth
                    there, and the thousands more out in the countryside named in her honor.

                    > enough years of a certain way of learning to know that 70% of the
                    > time, things in a novel are purposeful. The other 30% is unintentional.
                    >
                    > Oh, and 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

                    Oh, not, not that piece of bogus triteness. I always -worked- doing things
                    that involve doing statistical analysis and market segementation, and it is
                    NOT the airy inanity above. The numbers are NOT accurate their
                    precision--when a study says that a company had 35.2 percent of a market,
                    it's more likely got somewhere between thirty and forty percent. The value
                    beyond the decimal point is precision that goes beyond the accuracy for
                    the -appearance- of there being that level of accuracy. But the company
                    does has a significant share of the market, and the value is in the
                    appropriate -range-.

                    Scientific analyses use error bars.

                    There are studies that are intentionally biased, and one that are biased but
                    not intentionally. Political polls often are the first--the way that
                    questions get askes influence how people respond/can respond. A question
                    that says, "which one of the follow reasons did you buy this product for"
                    gives false results because the person might have bought the product for
                    more than one reason, or for a reason that is not listed.

                    The stupidest question that was on a survey that I worked with (it was not a
                    question that I wrote, I would have had a different question or set of
                    questions instead of that question) was "Do you need IBM compatibility?" It
                    was a stupid questions because there was no differentiation among IBM
                    mainframe, IBM midrange, IBm minicomputers, IBM person computers, and IBM
                    Unix systesm.... and 99.8 percent (and THAT number is accurate, two survey
                    forms out of two thousand, because I went through and tabulated the
                    some mean mainframe. some midrange, some mini, some personal computer. some
                    IBM Unix machine, and some used more than one of the preceeding. It was a
                    counterproductive question. A question which allowed the respondents to
                    specify what type of computers and in what percentage too they were using,
                    would have been considerably more useful!

                    The sociopolitical polling often in dare I call it malicious in intent, with
                    the pollsters paid by an organization to phrase questions and pick the
                    sample so that the results of the poll will "prove" that the public has the
                    values that the organization is pushing.
                  • Amy Harlib
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 6, 2005
                      aharlib@...
                      Thanks for this! Can't wait to read the whole book!
                      Cheers!
                      Amy

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 6, 2005
                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Lieberman" <paal@g...> wrote:
                        > Oh, not, not that piece of bogus triteness. I always -worked- doing
                        things
                        > that involve doing statistical analysis and market segementation,
                        and it is
                        > NOT the airy inanity above. The numbers are NOT accurate their
                        > precision--when a study says that a company had 35.2 percent of a
                        market,
                        > it's more likely got somewhere between thirty and forty percent.
                        The value
                        > beyond the decimal point is precision that goes beyond the accuracy for
                        > the -appearance- of there being that level of accuracy. But the
                        company
                        > does has a significant share of the market, and the value is in the
                        > appropriate -range-.
                        >
                        > Scientific analyses use error bars.
                        >
                        > There are studies that are intentionally biased, and one that are
                        biased but
                        > not intentionally. Political polls often are the first--the way that
                        > questions get askes influence how people respond/can respond. A
                        question
                        > that says, "which one of the follow reasons did you buy this product
                        for"
                        > gives false results because the person might have bought the product for
                        > more than one reason, or for a reason that is not listed.
                        >
                        > The stupidest question that was on a survey that I worked with (it
                        was not a
                        > question that I wrote, I would have had a different question or set of
                        > questions instead of that question) was "Do you need IBM
                        compatibility?" It
                        > was a stupid questions because there was no differentiation among IBM
                        > mainframe, IBM midrange, IBm minicomputers, IBM person computers,
                        and IBM
                        > Unix systesm.... and 99.8 percent (and THAT number is accurate, two
                        survey
                        > forms out of two thousand, because I went through and tabulated the
                        > some mean mainframe. some midrange, some mini, some personal
                        computer. some
                        > IBM Unix machine, and some used more than one of the preceeding. It
                        was a
                        > counterproductive question. A question which allowed the
                        respondents to
                        > specify what type of computers and in what percentage too they were
                        using,
                        > would have been considerably more useful!
                        >
                        > The sociopolitical polling often in dare I call it malicious in
                        intent, with
                        > the pollsters paid by an organization to phrase questions and pick the
                        > sample so that the results of the poll will "prove" that the public
                        has the
                        > values that the organization is pushing.

                        'Twas merely a jest.
                      • queenlyzzie04
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 6, 2005
                          <otterdance2@a...> wrote:
                          > From ORACLE'S QUEEN, a work in progress by Lynn Flewelling.
                          Copyright 2005. Do not
                          > repost, copy, or reproduce.
                          >
                          > Lutha sat alone over his wine, far down the long oak table from
                          his rightful place. It was a
                          > strange and cheerless court they kept here in Cirna. Korin claimed
                          to be the rightful king
                          > of Skala, and had even had himself crowned by a pale and trembling
                          priest, but they lived
                          > like exiles in this drafty fortress on this lonely, windswept
                          stretch of the Isthmus. The
                          > place still stank of blood and fire. The garrison had tried to
                          resist, thought to stay loyal to
                          > Tobin, but Niryn had already gotten his foot in the door as
                          Protector here, already had his
                          > Red Hawk Guard in place. They'd turned on the loyal Cirna men and
                          cut them down, then
                          > opened the gates to Korin.
                          >
                          > It was Korin's right, as king. Lutha tried to believe that, but
                          the sight of Skalans dead by
                          > Skalan hands had turned his stomach. He'd seen women among the
                          dead hauled out to
                          > burn, and even a little boy dressed as a lady's page. Someone had
                          run him through with a
                          > sword. What sort of warrior killed a page?
                          >
                          > The Cirna guard were traitors, plain and simple. Korin was the
                          rightful king and they had
                          > stood against him. So it was put to them as Korin took possession
                          of the place and
                          > declared it a crown possession.
                          >
                          > By rights, he could do that. As king.
                          >
                          > If he was truely king.
                          >
                          > Lutha took another long drink and stole a guilty glance up the
                          table at Niryn. He was glad
                          > to find the wizard's attention elsewhere. Lutha wished he had
                          Barieus for company to
                          > distract him from such treasonous thoughts, but the younger boy
                          still served as usher, as
                          > well as taking on the duties of his fellow squires who'd been lost
                          at Ero. At the moment he
                          > was up at the head of the table, offering a plate of cold meat to
                          Lord Caliel, who didn't
                          > appear to have much appetite. Neither did Lutha. He hadn't for
                          days, not since their arrival
                          > here a week earlier. At night Lutha and Barieus took watch in
                          turns in their bare, dank
                          > chamber, not daring to sleep unguarded. Shame and resentment
                          smoldered in Lutha's
                          > heart. He'd joined the Companions when he was eight years old, and
                          served Korin loyally
                          > every day since. Now the young king looked at him like he was a
                          stranger, untrustworthy.
                          > And all because, their first morning here, he'd foolishly
                          suggested that someone should be
                          > sent to see if Tobin really was a girl or not.

                          THANKS soooo much for this little teaser, I can't wait to read the
                          rest. But I really have to admit, as much as I enjoy Tobin/Tamir on
                          her adventure I really am dying to know whats going on with my
                          beloved Seregil and Alec...
                        • rafslade
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 9, 2005
                            Actually one of my favourite characters is Tharin and I wish he could
                            have a happy ending of his own. With the dark tone set by the earlier
                            books, I have a feeling he's gonna end up drawn and quartered but I'm
                            keeping my fingers crossed. After all the shit that's been thrown on
                            him, and having the man he loves just fall dead into his arms, I think
                            the guys deserves a break.

                            Paul
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 9, 2005
                              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "rafslade" <rafslade@y...> wrote:
                              > Actually one of my favourite characters is Tharin and I wish he could
                              > have a happy ending of his own. With the dark tone set by the earlier
                              > books, I have a feeling he's gonna end up drawn and quartered but I'm
                              > keeping my fingers crossed. After all the shit that's been thrown on
                              > him, and having the man he loves just fall dead into his arms, I think
                              > the guys deserves a break.
                              >
                              > Paul

                              I've been pondering that myself.
                            • summershadows_winterlight
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 9, 2005
                                Argh, yes, he'd totallyy deserve a happy end :D

                                Then again, I'm usually longing for happy ends, character-wise and
                                book-wise. When I read a book, and really the story, the characters
                                and so on, and then there is a depressing ending that's just... well,
                                depressing. I guess all of you know that feeling when you stare at the
                                last page and just can't believe it. </random>

                                Charlotte

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 10, 2005
                                  I know exactly what you mean. I hate sad endings myself.. Unlike other
                                  fantasy readers, I hate getting myself heavily invested in the main
                                  protagonists only to have them die horribly at the end - after three
                                  books! That's what happened with the Windwalker series... I know it's
                                  ridiculous hoping that everything has a happy ending. :)

                                  Tharin! By the Four, I have my fingers crossed!

                                  Paul

                                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "summershadows_winterlight"
                                  <charlotte@s...> wrote:
                                  > Argh, yes, he'd totallyy deserve a happy end :D
                                  >
                                  > Then again, I'm usually longing for happy ends, character-wise and
                                  > book-wise. When I read a book, and really the story, the characters
                                  > and so on, and then there is a depressing ending that's just... well,
                                  > depressing. I guess all of you know that feeling when you stare at
                                  the
                                  > last page and just can't believe it. </random>
                                  >
                                  > Charlotte

                                • cara672000
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 13, 2005
                                    --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "rafslade" <rafslade@y...> wrote:
                                    > I know exactly what you mean. I hate sad endings myself.. Unlike
                                    other
                                    > fantasy readers, I hate getting myself heavily invested in the
                                    main
                                    > protagonists only to have them die horribly at the end - after
                                    three
                                    > books! That's what happened with the Windwalker series... I know
                                    it's
                                    > ridiculous hoping that everything has a happy ending. :)
                                    >
                                    > Tharin! By the Four, I have my fingers crossed!
                                    >
                                    > Paul
                                    >

                                    > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "summershadows_winterlight"
                                    > <charlotte@s...> wrote:
                                    > > Argh, yes, he'd totallyy deserve a happy end :D
                                    > >
                                    > > Then again, I'm usually longing for happy ends, character-wise
                                    and
                                    > > book-wise. When I read a book, and really the story, the
                                    characters
                                    > > and so on, and then there is a depressing ending that's just...
                                    well,
                                    > > depressing. I guess all of you know that feeling when you stare
                                    at
                                    > the
                                    > > last page and just can't believe it. </random>
                                    > >
                                    > > Charlotte
                                    > >
                                    > >Well, after that teaser I can't wait to read a teaser with either
                                    Tharin, Tamir or Ki in it, because as much as I love the others,
                                    those 3 are my favourite, and the waiting is becoming unbearable...
                                    (of course once I'd have read an excerpt with them it will be even
                                    worse)
                                  • rafslade
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 15, 2005
                                      > > >Well, after that teaser I can't wait to read a teaser with either
                                      > Tharin, Tamir or Ki in it, because as much as I love the others,
                                      > those 3 are my favourite, and the waiting is becoming unbearable...
                                      > (of course once I'd have read an excerpt with them it will be even
                                      > worse)

                                      The thing is we all know what happens to Tamir - and at least she
                                      survives everything. But we have never heard of Ki and Tharin... we
                                      don't even know if she even married Ki at the end since there was no
                                      mention of her consort anywhere. I'm getting worried. :)

                                      Paul
                                    • cara672000
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 15, 2005

                                        > > Tharin, Tamir or Ki in it, because as much as I love the others,
                                        > > those 3 are my favourite, and the waiting is becoming
                                        unbearable...
                                        > > (of course once I'd have read an excerpt with them it will be even
                                        > > worse)
                                        >
                                        > The thing is we all know what happens to Tamir - and at least she
                                        > survives everything. But we have never heard of Ki and Tharin... we
                                        > don't even know if she even married Ki at the end since there was no
                                        > mention of her consort anywhere. I'm getting worried. :)
                                        >
                                        > Paul

                                        Well, the story may have changed since Tamir became the heroine of her
                                        own trilogy so I guess we'll have to wait and see...
                                      • rafslade
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 15, 2006
                                          Bringing up a really old thread but I can't wait to read the
                                          Oracle's Queen just to see what happens to tharin. I mean we already
                                          know that Tamir at least becomes the queen and obviously lives quite
                                          an age but what happens to Tharin? Does he finally get the happy
                                          ending?

                                          Paul

                                          > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "rafslade" <rafslade@y...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > > I know exactly what you mean. I hate sad endings myself.. Unlike
                                          > other
                                          > > fantasy readers, I hate getting myself heavily invested in the
                                          > main
                                          > > protagonists only to have them die horribly at the end - after
                                          > three
                                          > > books! That's what happened with the Windwalker series... I know
                                          > it's
                                          > > ridiculous hoping that everything has a happy ending. :)
                                          > >
                                          > > Tharin! By the Four, I have my fingers crossed!
                                          > >
                                          > > Paul
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "summershadows_winterlight"
                                          > > <charlotte@s...> wrote:
                                          > > > Argh, yes, he'd totallyy deserve a happy end :D
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Then again, I'm usually longing for happy ends, character-wise
                                          > and
                                          > > > book-wise. When I read a book, and really the story, the
                                          > characters
                                          > > > and so on, and then there is a depressing ending that's
                                          just...
                                          > well,
                                          > > > depressing. I guess all of you know that feeling when you
                                          stare
                                          > at
                                          > > the
                                          > > > last page and just can't believe it. </random>
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Charlotte

                                        • Suzanne
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 20, 2006
                                            I hope he's happy, even if it's not what *we* would consider a happy
                                            ending. He is a warrior, after all.

                                            here's my question: How many people here think that Korin would have
                                            been a good leader and not have had such poor judgement at the bandit
                                            camp by Rilmar if he hadn't been given that amulet? (Lynn, no fair
                                            answering! ^_^ ) I think a good bunch of that is Niryn's fault.

                                            On May 16, 2006, at 2:13 AM, rafslade wrote:

                                            > Bringing up a really old thread but I can't wait to read the
                                            > Oracle's Queen just to see what happens to tharin. I mean we already
                                            > know that Tamir at least becomes the queen and obviously lives quite
                                            > an age but what happens to Tharin? Does he finally get the happy
                                            > ending?
                                            >
                                            > Paul
                                            B*B
                                            Suzanne
                                            http://home.comcast.net/~arirashkae
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 20, 2006
                                              For those wondering what Tharin's up to
                                              Snippet:

                                              The sun had moved behind the west tower and there was a breath of breeze. Patterned
                                              beds of flowers scented the air, and the tinkling of fountains mingled with the droning of
                                              bees busy among the blossoms.

                                              Tharin seemed glad of the shade, too. He dressed like a proper courtier here, his tunic and
                                              short cape somber in tone but of a fine cut and trimmed with embroidery. A lord at last,
                                              he wore the gold chain and signet of his rank, and tied his hair back with a black silk
                                              ribbon instead of a greasy leather cord, but he cared no more for titles and fine things
                                              than he ever had. And he remained at her side, unmovable as a barnacle on a rock and her
                                              most trusted source of council.

                                              She could tell he had something on his mind now as they strolled along under a line of
                                              flowering trees. There were courtiers and servants all around, though, and he waited until
                                              they'd reached the relative seclusion of a thickly overgrown grape arbor to speak.
                                              Dappled shade played over his face as he sat down in the wooden bench. "You may not
                                              like what I have to say."

                                              "You know I'll listen, though." She sat down and pulled her skirt up over her knees to cool
                                              her legs. Ringtail emerged from a clump of flowering roses and jumped into her lap. She
                                              scratched his ears, then winced as he kneaded sharp claws into her thigh. "Go on, then.
                                              What is it?"

                                              "It's about Ki. The way things are now? It's not good for him."

                                              That caught her off guard. She'd expected talk of war. "Has he said something to you?"
                                              "No, and he wouldn't thank me for interfering if he knew. But I've been at court longer than
                                              either of you, and I don't like how the talk is running. He's already labeled as your favorite,
                                              and more. That breeds jealousy, and that can lead to trouble for both of you." He paused,
                                              plucking a few ripe grapes and passing some to her. "I'm guessing your feelings for him
                                              haven't changed?"

                                              She ducked her head, blushing, and said nothing. They had; they were stronger than ever.
                                              "I know you try to hide it, but the mere fact that you keep him so close is enough for the
                                              gossips-- That and the fact that he's not highborn."

                                              "You know I don't care about that!"

                                              "No, but you're at court now, and things are as they are; too many people with too much
                                              time to gossip." He ate a grape, chewing slowly. "But there's more to it than that. You've
                                              got him acting like a lady in waiting. That's no position for a warrior."

                                              "I do not!" But Tharin's words stung in a way that told her he was right. "He's my squire. If I
                                              was still a boy, they wouldn't be talking like that, would they?"

                                              "People were talking before. But that's neither here nor there. You are a young queen, and
                                              he's a squire from a family no one knows of, except as rough characters. When you were
                                              just a prince and still a child, it didn't matter as much. Things have changed, and they're
                                              never going back to what they were."

                                              #
                                            • Suzanne
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 20, 2006
                                                Gah! Not fair! June can't come fast enough! I have got to put in my
                                                pre-order! I just don't know where I'll be that day, so I'm not sure
                                                which house to send it to! T_T

                                                B*B
                                                Suzanne
                                                http://home.comcast.net/~arirashkae
                                                http://www.walkamerica.org/AriRashkae
                                              • Amy Harlib
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 20, 2006
                                                  aharlib@...
                                                  Oh this is a terrific tantalizing bit!
                                                  Thanks for posting. Can't wait for the book!
                                                  Cheers!
                                                  Amy

                                                • Weaver
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 21, 2006
                                                    You are a very, very cruel author, placing that tasty morsel in
                                                    front of our noses and just out of reach.

                                                    Now I'm going to have to wait with even more torturous anticipation.
                                                    Allow me to spend a small moment whinging about the unfairness of
                                                    the world.
                                                    -whinges-
                                                    Okay, done. Let me say, I CAN'T WAIT.
                                                  • yesterdayzgirl@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 22, 2006
                                                      ::squeals::
                                                      I cannot wait! Thank you for that little bit to tide me over until the book
                                                      arives on my doorstep.
                                                      sara

                                                      "we start out sugared up on kool-aid and manifest destiny
                                                      and we memorize all the presidents names
                                                      like little trained monkeys
                                                      and then we're spit into the world
                                                      so many spinny-eyed tv junkies
                                                      incapable of unravelling the military industrial mystery
                                                      preemptively pacified with history book history"
                                                      -ani difranco 'serpentine'

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 25, 2006
                                                        Thank you :). Tharin is a favourite of mine :).

                                                        Crosses another day off the calendar ...