Re: [Flewelling] Goodmorning.

  • sarah lehman
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
      As far as non-SciFi/Fantasy goes, I would recommend
      Pearl S. Buck's novel _The Good Earth_; it is a
      relatively easy read, and both broadening and
      touching.

      Also, one of my all-time favorites: J.D. Salinger's
      _The Cather in the Rye_. Though many consider it a
      younger person's novel, I do not. It touches on many
      universal themes. It is a book that will change the
      way I look at myself and society every time I read it,
      and for the rest of my life. It is also pretty easy
      to read.

      Another good one, and very short, is _Of Mice and Men_
      by John Steinbeck.

      As far as books that are either violent or disturbing
      (not in a sexual way), sometimes, I at least, want a
      book that differes from my normal reading, there is _A
      Clockwork Orange_ by Anthony Burgess. An excerpt from
      the back cover states, "[it] is a frightening fable
      about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom.
      And when the state undertakes to reform Alex to
      'redeem' him, the novel asks, 'At what cost?'" It is
      certainly different, yet, enjoyably so.

      Next, there is the novel _Battle Royale_ by Koushun
      Takami. I would not recommend this unless you are
      ready for some strong violence. The book centers on a
      group of young teenagers who have been put on an
      island and told that only the last one living will get
      to go home; in addition, they all wear collars that
      kill them for staying in one place too long. It sounds
      like _Lord of the Flies_, but it is actually hardly
      similar. It is a very original book, and explores some
      points of veiw that I had not previously read.

      For something a little lighter, and quite amusing (as
      I have heard, I have not read this one yet, but it
      comes strongly recommended by a good friend that I
      trust) there is _God Knows_ by Joseph Heller. I
      highly doubt it is a religious sermon because my
      friend is hardly a devout Christian.

      I have not read any good sci-fi or fantasy lately, but
      I do like _The Green Rider_ by Kristen Britain.
      Though it is neither deep nor overly original, it is
      fast paced and I do like the main character. Also,
      _Ender's Game_ by Orson Scott Card is very good.
      Right now I'm reading a book that I like (so far)
      called _Gardens of the Moon_ by Steven Erikson. It is
      not a sci-fi book, but more a political fantasy,
      though it takes place in a time of war and is not as
      slow as most political fantasy that I have read.
      However, I started it yesterday. That's all I can
      think of on the spur-of-the-moment. I hope you find
      something, I know how frustrating it can be to want to
      read and yet unable to find something that sounds at
      all appealing.

      Sarah

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Messenger
    • sarah lehman
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
        I should really learn to re-read my e-mails carefully
        before I send them. When I said not sexually violent,
        I meant that the books are not bondage porn; _A
        Clockwork Orange_ does have some rape in it...
        _Battle Royale_, however, is not sexual at all. And
        my last sentence did not make any sense, there should
        be a "to be" in front of the unable. Sorry.

        Sarah

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250