Re: [Flewelling] Re: Goodmorning.

  • Alex Y. Kwan
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hello,

      erismai wrote:
      > historicalfiction/fantasy are books by Guy Gavriel Kay. I'd reccomend
      > teh Fionovar Tapestry or the Sarantine Mosaic, but once again, all his
      > books are quite good.

      I haven't read anything of his other than _The Lions of Al-Rassan_;
      maybe I was particularly sentimental at the time, but I was crying my
      eyes out by the time I finished the book. And so, yes, I highly
      recommend that particular book by Guy Gavriel Kay, even though I haven't
      read his other books yet.

      little Alex
    • sarah lehman
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
        As far as non-SciFi/Fantasy goes, I would recommend
        Pearl S. Buck's novel _The Good Earth_; it is a
        relatively easy read, and both broadening and
        touching.

        Also, one of my all-time favorites: J.D. Salinger's
        _The Cather in the Rye_. Though many consider it a
        younger person's novel, I do not. It touches on many
        universal themes. It is a book that will change the
        way I look at myself and society every time I read it,
        and for the rest of my life. It is also pretty easy
        to read.

        Another good one, and very short, is _Of Mice and Men_
        by John Steinbeck.

        As far as books that are either violent or disturbing
        (not in a sexual way), sometimes, I at least, want a
        book that differes from my normal reading, there is _A
        Clockwork Orange_ by Anthony Burgess. An excerpt from
        the back cover states, "[it] is a frightening fable
        about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom.
        And when the state undertakes to reform Alex to
        'redeem' him, the novel asks, 'At what cost?'" It is
        certainly different, yet, enjoyably so.

        Next, there is the novel _Battle Royale_ by Koushun
        Takami. I would not recommend this unless you are
        ready for some strong violence. The book centers on a
        group of young teenagers who have been put on an
        island and told that only the last one living will get
        to go home; in addition, they all wear collars that
        kill them for staying in one place too long. It sounds
        like _Lord of the Flies_, but it is actually hardly
        similar. It is a very original book, and explores some
        points of veiw that I had not previously read.

        For something a little lighter, and quite amusing (as
        I have heard, I have not read this one yet, but it
        comes strongly recommended by a good friend that I
        trust) there is _God Knows_ by Joseph Heller. I
        highly doubt it is a religious sermon because my
        friend is hardly a devout Christian.

        I have not read any good sci-fi or fantasy lately, but
        I do like _The Green Rider_ by Kristen Britain.
        Though it is neither deep nor overly original, it is
        fast paced and I do like the main character. Also,
        _Ender's Game_ by Orson Scott Card is very good.
        Right now I'm reading a book that I like (so far)
        called _Gardens of the Moon_ by Steven Erikson. It is
        not a sci-fi book, but more a political fantasy,
        though it takes place in a time of war and is not as
        slow as most political fantasy that I have read.
        However, I started it yesterday. That's all I can
        think of on the spur-of-the-moment. I hope you find
        something, I know how frustrating it can be to want to
        read and yet unable to find something that sounds at
        all appealing.

        Sarah

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Messenger
      • sarah lehman
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
          I should really learn to re-read my e-mails carefully
          before I send them. When I said not sexually violent,
          I meant that the books are not bondage porn; _A
          Clockwork Orange_ does have some rape in it...
          _Battle Royale_, however, is not sexual at all. And
          my last sentence did not make any sense, there should
          be a "to be" in front of the unable. Sorry.

          Sarah

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250