Re: [Flewelling] I say, you say, he-she-it says.... (was: Article on Creating Characters)

  • Andrea Chavez
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005

      > My favorite has always been 'murmur'. I just really
      > like the sound of that word.

      I read once that "murmur" was judged to be the most
      beautiful word in the English language. Umm, don't
      know if I agree, but it is probably in the top ten.

      (they were not judging sentiment, just sound.)

      AC

      Andrea C

      "I always pass on good advice,
      It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

    • summershadows_winterlight
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
        sadly, I don't know any german translation. Anyone else?
        Murmeln, and more I don't know that hasn't a negative connotation like
        nuscheln etc...

        Charlotte

        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Chavez <achavez47@y...> wrote:

        > > My favorite has always been 'murmur'. I just really
        > > like the sound of that word.
        > >

        > I read once that "murmur" was judged to be the most
        > beautiful word in the English language. Umm, don't
        > know if I agree, but it is probably in the top ten.
        >
        > (they were not judging sentiment, just sound.)
        >
        > AC
        >
        > Andrea C
        >
        > "I always pass on good advice,
        > It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

      • silverhawk9p9
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
          > > I read once that "murmur" was judged to be the most
          > > beautiful word in the English language. Umm, don't
          > > know if I agree, but it is probably in the top ten.
          > >
          > > (they were not judging sentiment, just sound.)
          > >
          > > AC
          > >
          > > Andrea C

          My personal favorite word, currently, is nudged. It describes
          something as simple as pushing, but it implies so much more.

          I find that the most undescriptive word in the english language is
          smell. Because there is no word for any smell other than smell. Try
          it. You will always say "smells like something".
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
            "to notice an odour"?

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
              aharlib@...
              Terrific! Please remind us again when the article is actually online.
              Cheers!
              Amy

              > My article on creating fantasy characters will appear in the April issue
              of the online
              > magazine Deep Magic.
              >
              > http://www.deep-magic.net/

            • Suzanne LaFleur
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
                "Scented"? But that implies checking the air as an animal would, IMO.

                This could be fun, looking up synonyms. Would a thesaurus be cheating?

                B*B
                Suzanne
                http://www.walkamerica.org/AriRashkae

                On Apr 1, 2005, at 3:06 PM, silverhawk9p9 wrote:

                > My personal favorite word, currently, is nudged. It describes
                > something as simple as pushing, but it implies so much more.
                >
                > I find that the most undescriptive word in the english language is
                > smell. Because there is no word for any smell other than smell. Try
                > it. You will always say "smells like something".

              • Mattail
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
                  > > My favorite has always been 'murmur'. I just really
                  > > like the sound of that word.
                  > >
                  > I read once that "murmur" was judged to be the most
                  > beautiful word in the English language.

                  And then there's poor 'cacophony'. Generally agreed to be the
                  ugliest of words (or at least of 'polite' words), ironicly it also
                  describes a sound.
                  So what would a cacophony of murmurs sound like? (Probably something
                  distinctiv- Wait, I know a word that means just that. 'Rhubarb' was
                  used on early radio to simulate large crouds talking quietly. Then
                  there's 'rabble'...)
                • silverhawk9p9
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
                    --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Mattail" <mttdfrk@y...> wrote:
                    > And then there's poor 'cacophony'. Generally agreed to be the
                    > ugliest of words (or at least of 'polite' words), ironicly it also
                    > describes a sound.
                    > So what would a cacophony of murmurs sound like? (Probably something
                    > distinctiv- Wait, I know a word that means just that. 'Rhubarb' was
                    > used on early radio to simulate large crouds talking quietly. Then
                    > there's 'rabble'...)

                    Rhubarb is a plant that is poisonous except for its stalks. Harvest
                    the stalks and it is quite yummy. I suppose a cacophony of murmurs
                    would be something like when everyone is politely silent for a
                    preformance and then something strange happens, everyone begins
                    talking in low voices.

                    And I mean to include all synonyms of smell too! Besides, usually you
                    say "Smells like [noun]" or "Gave off a [qualitative adjective]
                    smell." But you can't describe some scent by using just one word like
                    brown.
                  • summershadows_winterlight
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
                      ooh, you can I think, if that counts :D
                      "it stinks." that means it smells of something disgustingly without
                      having to use the world smell.

                      Charlotte

                      > And I mean to include all synonyms of smell too! Besides, usually you
                      > say "Smells like [noun]" or "Gave off a [qualitative adjective]
                      > smell." But you can't describe some scent by using just one word like
                      > brown.
                    • silverhawk9p9
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "summershadows_winterlight"
                        <charlotte@s...> wrote:

                        > ooh, you can I think, if that counts :D
                        > "it stinks." that means it smells of something disgustingly without
                        > having to use the world smell.
                        >
                        > Charlotte
                        So it is. Any others though?
                      • Katja A Kivilahti
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2005
                          On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Andrea Chavez wrote:

                          > I read once that "murmur" was judged to be the most
                          > beautiful word in the English language.   Umm, don't
                          > know if I agree, but it is probably in the top ten.
                          >
                          > (they were not judging sentiment, just sound.)

                          "Möömöö". That's the sound cows make in Finland. :-D

                          It's a common story here that the Finnish "aja hiljaa sillalla" (drive
                          slowly on the bridge) was once judged to be the most beautiful sentence in
                          the world. Don't know if that actually happened -- it was told me by a
                          teacher, though.

                          - katja
                        • Purchase Family
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 26, 2005
                            I enjoyed the article, Lynn. I too have been urged to write character sketches and notes etc, and I found them useful, but not the solution. In the end, as I write a character, he/she comes alive to me, and that means I have to go back and revise <g>. And the story then changes because I find that X simply can't do what I thought he would. So I have to change that too. For example, the character in my stories who was originally a lot like Alec, has morphed into a man so damaged by betrayal, torture and loss that he now derives a twisted kind of pleasure from inflicting pain himself, and is deeply ashamed of that. I never meant for that to happen. It just did.

                            I also liked your comment about the reader missing characters as the book ends. **I** miss my characters. I get fond of them, and wish they were alive and part of my life -- even the baddies <g>.

                            And thanks for the head's-up on the magazine itself. Interesting.

                            Nigel

                            My article on creating fantasy characters will appear in the April issue of the online
                            magazine Deep Magic.

                            http://www.deep-magic.net/

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor