Re: Language, Translations and Niryn out to get us all

  • Alice Montrose
    Message 1 of 92 , Feb 1, 2005
      Romanian hassomething we call "polite pronoun" for second and third
      person. If talking to/about a friend, we use "tu" (2nd pers.) /"el"
      (3rd pers. masc.)/"ea" (3rd pers. fem.). If talking to someone who
      outranks us, we call them "domneavoastra" (2nd pers.) /"dumnealui"
      (3rd pers. masc.)/"dumneaei" (3rd pers. fem.). Same goes for
      pluralform. We also have something called "fake polite pronoun".

      Most complicated.

      Alice

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "summershadows_winterlight"
      <charlotte@s...> wrote:

      > Language pondering out of frustration:
      > Frustration, frustration. After changing a character's background
      and
      > relation to another character after two chapters, I had to change
      two
      > chapters' conversation due to the fact German uses two different
      kinds
      > of `You'.
      > We have the friendly `You' (=Du) for friends, family, and people
      who
      > know each other for longer time, and the formal `You' (=Sie/Ihr
      > depending on setting/time) for everyone else. In English it isn't
      like
      > that, or never saw it before. I know French has it, too. What else
      > languages use the two different `You' forms?
      > Beside that I just started wondering when the translators of, for
      > example Lynn's books, change the You. *laughs* I guess next time I
      > read translated books, I'll have a look at that.
      > (ranting mode: Boo! Bad german translators for the Nightrunner
      Series.
      > (BDT in opposite to that was mostly nice, HW isn't out yet here, I
      > only read it in English) Boo! Note to self: check 'you problem' in
      > different book and read Lynn's books in English only, where names
      and
      > locations and terms won't change every ten chapters. Chase Niryn at
      > them! Chase them at Niryn! Ranting mode off.)
      > Now I better go and correct my two chapters `You'.
      >
      > ~Charlotte
      >
      > P.S.: Excuse my constant mentioning of Niryn. That guy nearly
      killed
      > my sanity. Deep wish to strangle him. A successful bad-character.
      > Lynn, aren't you sometimes afraid he pops up to get you and your
      > family? X_x;
      >
      > --
      > http://loubli.summershadows.org
    • Minako
      Message 92 of 92 , Mar 4, 2005
        Yes, it happens. Actually, In Spain, it even happens between people
        that is not inmigrants. Every year we have women killed by husbands,
        boyfriends, exs... It´s happened for a long time even if it wasn´t on
        the news. But affected people has started to react, now is the momment
        to help.
        This kills is partly a result of a culture and a series of old
        believes. Women are rised believing they must submit to men and as a
        part of it they allow beating and being ordered around. Women and men
        have believed it to be right for a long time, they´ve believed it was
        their fault and the men were right to do that. The mentality of this
        people is very far away from ours. I´ve had a friend in a familly like
        that, they didn´t considered they really needed help. Comments like
        "your father has no right to make you clean after him and your
        brothers and then get angry if you don´t do it, you´re not their
        slave, you´ve got things more important to do right now" only got me
        an angry friend.

        It can´t be broken suddenly. Women and men who thinks this is wrong
        can´t just break in, it doesn´t really help. The first changes and
        reactions have to come from women themselves. Wich in case of those
        certain sectors of spanish population is now happening. Now we can
        help them because now the women believe they have a right to be
        treated better, now they want the help. To me that´s the way of doing
        things well. Things have to follow their own natural path and
        evolution, you can only try to fasten that path, but taking measures
        and forcing them into acting acording to ideals they don´t have can
        only provoque resentment. IMO you can´t help people againts their
        ideas, even if you mean well.

        All this is, of course, my oppinion. I´m just 25, I don´t pretend to
        have the truth of the world in my hands.

        Minako.