Lynn Speaks Re: Fanfiction

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
      The following should not be taken as a rant or flame. :-) The person who started this
      topic should not feel bad; I think she's brought up an important cultural issue. The
      following are simply my own personal opinions written on one cup of coffee early in the
      morning. No snarky tone should be read into them.

      Fanfiction is clearly a subject of great interest to a significant portion of my fandom. It is
      also a subject that annoys the socks off another significant portion of the folks here. While
      my personal opinions may have softened a bit over the years, my legal standing on the
      matter remains unchanged. I.e. I CANNOT/WILL NOTsanction fanfiction based on my work.
      End of story. Somewhere around here is the lengthy explanation I gave. I hope someone
      has made it into a FAQ; I'm not going into it again.

      My feeling, speaking merely as the honored guest/crazy auntie who sits in the corner and
      occassionally pontificates or cracks the odd joke, and not the list owner or mistress, is
      that the occasional respectful fanfiction discussions be ok here, especially if they are
      educational in nature and help people realize now fanfiction is a problem for writers, BUT
      that such threads must be VERY clearly labeled so that those who wish to avoid them like
      the plague may do so with ease. I will not be participating. I have nothing to
      add to what I've already said. I also think that discussions promoting fanfiction sites
      should probably happen somewhere else.

      That being said, here's my opinion on people writing sexually oriented fanfiction about
      real people. It's WRONG, CREEPY, VERY EXTREMELY ICKY, and should be ILLEGAL.
      Anyone still unclear on my feelings should read the previous sentence again.

      I think fandom is a wonderful thing, and I love my fans. But there are lines that should not
      be crossed. Writing and publishing sexual fantasies about real people really crosses some
      important lines. I think it is an horrific breech of good taste, common sense, and basic
      human rights. If I were an actress or other public figure and found myself the subject of
      such "fanfiction" I would feel raped. But hey, that's just my opinion.

      Anyhoo, that's all I have to say on the matter this early in the morning.
    • steve hallett
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 11, 2004
        Hi there kids you all havent heard from me in a while.
        Probably because I have been gone for a while.
        Anyway, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot
        and I'm sure Lyn, and everyone els is getting really
        sick of it but when is the third installment of the
        Tamir saga will be finnished/in stores. I just let my
        fiance read TBDT and HW and now she is frothing at the
        mouth for more. Please send me some good news, shes
        getting scary.

        Steve

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
          To quote Lynn:

          1. Due to personal stuff, I do not have a due date for the third Tamir book
          yet, but it will
          be 2005.
          (post Various updates from 10.03.04)

          From: steve hallett <towlerack@...>

          Hi there kids you all havent heard from me in a while.
          Probably because I have been gone for a while.
          Anyway, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot
          and I'm sure Lyn, and everyone els is getting really
          sick of it but when is the third installment of the
          Tamir saga will be finnished/in stores. I just let my
          fiance read TBDT and HW and now she is frothing at the
          mouth for more. Please send me some good news, shes
          getting scary.

          Steve
        • Mercury Demosthenes
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
            I'm so sorry! I did not mean to cause controversy. I raised the subject out of curiosity to the opinions of a different genre of people. I did not mean to offend by raising a topic that was offensive to people (it offends me too, so I DO understand). Though I feel that this list, being angled towards writing in general as well as Lynn's work IS a place that would have discussion on the matter. I also think I was raising not the subject of fan fiction (which we have discussed time and time again, and yes, Lynn's lengthy post on the matter is in the files section), but the subject of real people in it and had nothing to do with "is it okay to rip off another's work" like we have discussed in the past.
            I did not mean to offend by being curious. I respect the opinions of people here very much (especially the goddess) and that was why I asked in the first place. I really do enjoy hearing opinions from this group. I understand its an icky subject, so I'm sorry for bringing it up.

            Lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:

[...]

            occasionally pontificates or cracks the odd joke, and not the list owner or mistress, is
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            "Little red monkey, wont you stay to tea?"

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
              No need to apologize! (DId you see my "this is not a rant" disclaimer?) I was merely
              offering an opinion, not trying to slam anyone. And I did understand where you were
              coming from. Sorry if that didn't come across. The capitalizations were just to emphasize.

              Hugs!

              Lynn

              -- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Mercury Demosthenes <demosthenesmercury@y...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
                Does The Return of the King Extended Edition
                Collector's Gift Set have 4 or 5 discs?

                W.

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
                  5
                  4 DVDs, 2 for the film and 2 for the Making Of stuff and another DVD in it's
                  own case about the music of LotR.

                  From: wessyx <wessayx@...>

                  Does The Return of the King Extended Edition
                  Collector's Gift Set have 4 or 5 discs?

                  W.
                • wessyx
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 13, 2004

                    Thank you.:)

                    W.

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/13/2004 2:58:35 AM GMT Standard Time,
                      wessayx@... writes:

                      Does The Return of the King Extended Edition
                      Collector's Gift Set have 4 or 5 discs?

                      W.

                      Like Tawariel said, 5 if you include the making of the symphony thing which
                      really isnt anything to get excited about, go for the collector's one if you
                      are keen on getting the model is my advice but stick with the other one
                      otherwise.

                      Mind you. I wish now Id got two copies of the first one lol. Saw
                      unopened copies of the Fellowship Collectors Box set selling for 125 quid not long
                      ago on Amazon UK.

                    • Mercury
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                        Releif. It wasn't because of your post, i got admoished by our most
                        honored list mom ^^;; Very lovingly, of course.
                        -Mercury

                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling"
                        <otterdance2@a...> wrote:

> [...]
                        oriented fanfiction about
                        > > real people. It's WRONG, CREEPY, VERY EXTREMELY ICKY, and should
                        be ILLEGAL.
                        > > Anyone still unclear on my feelings should read the previous
                        sentence again.

                        > > I think fandom is a wonderful thing, and I love my fans. But
                        there are lines that should
                        > not
                        > > be crossed. Writing and publishing sexual fantasies about real
                        people really crosses
                        > some
                        > > important lines. I think it is an horrific breech of good taste,
                        common sense, and basic
                        > > human rights. If I were an actress or other public figure and
                        found myself the subject of
                        > > such "fanfiction" I would feel raped. But hey, that's just my
                        opinion.

                        > > Anyhoo, that's all I have to say on the matter this early in the

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                          Oops, now I feel guilty :).

                          Dont worry about it :) you werent to know of past negative associations
                          with the subject here.

                          Helen