Starship Troopers

  • Firesong
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 1, 2004
      Until I saw the movie I also thought it was a stupid and brainless
      action adventure. It surely looks like that when you just see the
      trailers. But then I actually saw it and thought it was a very good
      satire. It is not exactly subtle, I give you that, but well, that makes
      it kinda funny. That it is directly the opposite of Heinlein's views,
      well... that only shows that there is always room for surprises in this
      world. And I daresay there are enough war movies out there that
      transport more conservative militaristic viewpoints. Too many actually.
      I am not exactly a fan of propaganda that comes out of Hollywood or any
      other movie metropole in the world.

      Fire

      On 1. Oct 2004, at 8:09 Uhr, Paula Lieberman wrote:

      > I was revolted by what I saw because it was so utterly -stupid-.
      >
      > See
      >
      > http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/r_startro.htm
      >
      > for a take on the film that's in consonance with my attitude towards
      > of the
      > bits here and there that I saw of it at a Lunacon.
    • jackcarstares
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 7, 2004
        Hello Adrienne,

        although it's been a couple of days since you wrote your post about
        Anne Bishop's books I nevertheless would like to respond to it:

        I can only support your recommendation of her novels! And I'm sorry
        that you got such negative reponses to your recommendation. I was a
        bit surprised about that, too, as this list is normally very tolerant
        and these things (negative responses that is) don't happen very often
        (and I've been a member for quite some time). It's true that we DID
        have some lively discussions, but nothing more. I hope it stays that
        way!

        I'm not quite sure how I ended up reading the "The Black Jewels"
        trilogy (it might have been a recommendation from this list, but if
        it was, it certainly was WITHOUT any details someone thought to be
        necessary before one would starting reading them!), but this is one
        of the best fantasy trilogies I've ever read (and I'm an avid
        reader!) and I'm quite picky about what I like to read. Anne Bishop
        created very complex (perhaps with the exceptions of the few bad
        women and guys in the books, who were a bit of a sterotype for
        someone very, very bad and almost nothing else) characters. Lucivar
        will probably be one of my most favourite heroes ever... he's just
        gorgeous!

        Her Tir Alainn series isn't perhaps as good - IMHO - as her Black
        Jewels trilogy, but it's a good read!

        I'm always interested in getting to know new authors and good books,
        though I can never be sure of course, whether I'll like them or not
        before having read them.

        An example: Someone suggested "The Chosen" by Ricardo Pinto. I took
        it to Ireland to read on our vacation there. I read the first 150
        pages or so and then put it away - disgustedly! Well, that happens
        every now and then! I read the first and second part of "The Tawny
        Man" (by Robin Hobb) instead and liked it very much indeed.

        So: Please keep on suggesting good books!

        Kirsten