Re: [Flewelling] Digest Number 1706

  • Jason Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 12:04 AM
      Marg & Janet

      It appears to me that you two are good examples of what can be accomplished with a positive attitude. I admire the kind of focus and self-satisfaction you show in your words.

      Personally, I'm trying to find a positive motivation for myself. I grew up with a very negative view of fitness in general, because people talked about it like it was some sort of social hierarchy (someone once told me "there are normal people, and then there are fat people"). That, and all the books, videos, and magazines I viewed were both superficial and egomaniacal. "lose 30 ibs in 2 days," "buy our miracle product." "six pack, six pack, six pack." For a while I confused the "product" being sold in infomercials with the actual experience of exercise. I lost sight of the health benefits and believed that it was all about vanity. After all, that's how fitness is largely presented on television and in magazines, as vanity.

      It wasn't until a friend corrected me, and urged me to find my own motivation, that I began rearranging my life. I began walking every other day, and I'm slowly learning how to structure my eating habits. As a person diagnosed with depression, I found that brisk walks do a world of good. A good half hour walk is an instant mood lifter. I now walk to the grocery store, which is about a mile away, and carry my bags home (unless I happen to be buying a lot, of course).

      I do have problems keeping motivated, but it feels like an uphill battle. Actually, reading your description of being able to do so many more things and having so much more energy makes me want to succeed even more. I've been overweight my whole life, so I find it difficult to imagine how my life would be impacted if I were to succeed. Well, I guess that's something to look forward to, now is it?

      Best of luck in your own endeavors.

      Cheers,
      Jason
      From: "marg_r_w" <marg_r_w@...>
      Subject: Re: sick sad world

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, janet dudley <fault@s...> wrote:
      > You have given the exact reasons I've gone on health kicks in the
      past. Feeling healthy, being able to run for the bus, not worrying
      that you're eatting something that's harming you. When I was
      exercising every day I felt great. I lost about 5kg, but dang I got
      muscles. I can jog 500m without dying. I can run for the bus with a
      10kg backpack. I can lift things. My immunity went up up up. ..
      Except those two weeks before I figured out that one has to eat
      (much) more when one exercises for an hour a day -.- ... I was very
      tired those two weeks. Otherwise I can completely reccommend health
      kicks.

      > Janet Dudley- also Fault.

      Isn't it wonderful to be able to enjoy the benefits of those
      activities without the need of resuscitation and/or an oxygen bottle
      afterwards!!!!! I managed to jog a whole kilometer today and was
      only breathless at the end - not dead!!

      Cheers and keep healthy
      Marg

    • marg_r_w
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 10:58 PM
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Hill" <Caion@P...> wrote:

        Marg & Janet

        > It appears to me that you two are good examples of what can be
        accomplished with a positive attitude. I admire the kind of focus and
        self-satisfaction you show in your words.

        > Personally, I'm trying to find a positive motivation for myself. I
        grew up with a very negative view of fitness in general, because
        people talked about it like it was some sort of social hierarchy
        (someone once told me "there are normal people, and then there are
        fat people"). That, and all the books, videos, and magazines I viewed
        were both superficial and egomaniacal. "lose 30 ibs in 2 days," "buy
        our miracle product." "six pack, six pack, six pack." For a while I
        confused the "product" being sold in infomercials with the actual
        experience of exercise. I lost sight of the health benefits and
        believed that it was all about vanity. After all, that's how fitness
        is largely presented on television and in magazines, as vanity.

        > It wasn't until a friend corrected me, and urged me to find my own
        motivation, that I began rearranging my life. I began walking every
        other day, and I'm slowly learning how to structure my eating habits.
        As a person diagnosed with depression, I found that brisk walks do a
        world of good. A good half hour walk is an instant mood lifter. I now
        walk to the grocery store, which is about a mile away, and carry my
        bags home (unless I happen to be buying a lot, of course).

        > I do have problems keeping motivated, but it feels like an uphill
        battle. Actually, reading your description of being able to do so
        many more things and having so much more energy makes me want to
        succeed even more. I've been overweight my whole life, so I find it
        difficult to imagine how my life would be impacted if I were to
        succeed. Well, I guess that's something to look forward to, now is it?

        > Best of luck in your own endeavors.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jason

        Jason, I'm very glad that my experiences have been a help and that
        the things Janet and I had to say have gone some way to putting
        health and overweight issues into a different, better, perspective
        for you. I work in the health sector so it is easy for me to look at
        the whole issue of exercise and healthy eating from the context of
        having good lifestyle choices rather than having to "look good".

        I hope that you succeed in keeping motivated; it's not easy to lose
        weight and keep up good eating habits when there is so much
        temptation out there! Perhaps if you set some small goals for
        yourself to start with and then get more ambitious, steadily building
        up your exercise regime and healthy eating until you achieve the
        results you want - success is a great motivator. The main thing is
        that you are doing it for YOU, not the morons who make stupid inane
        comments about "fat people", or anyone else, but for your own benefit
        and well being. Keep believing in yourself and all the luck in the
        world to you.

        Cheers Marg