Re: OT: Why people over 35 should be dead

  • Gnine
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2004
      Hmm, I've of several minds on this...having just passed my 21st
      birthday last week...some of those things *I* certainly did, and then
      some of those things HAVE saved a lot more lives...I mean one looks
      back two hundred years...how did people survive without electricity?
      Cars? etc. And then some things aren't the time...but the place, which
      I also find really interesting.

      I just returned from a five month stay in Japan, and there were a few
      things, such as NO ONE rides with Helmets and LOTS of peole ride
      bikes, everywhere, or the fact that I was seeing 5 year old
      children...alone...on the Tokyo or Osaka subways...at rush hour.

      I think its in some ways sad and in many ways neat and/or exciting how
      things change and how much of it is perspective...for example, i'm
      only 21, but my parents were verrrry carefree, very much about go
      outside and enjoy nature, read, didn't buy us video games, etc. and I
      did many of the things on that list...and then some things, by just
      picking up and moving to another country, I covered more of the things
      there, like riding with no helmet...which was sooo strange at first
      because when I was young I DID have to ride with one...

      Funny how place and time and perspective work like that, ne?

      Jeannine
    • Minako
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 12, 2004
        From: "Gnine" <jmk69@...>

        > Funny how place and time and perspective work like that, ne?
        >
        > Jeannine
        I have to agree. *LOL* I never did many of those things... because in
        Spain we don´t do those things and never did them. And then other things are
        still done (TV says we shouldn´t but try to stop a kid from sharing his
        Coke).

        IMO some things can´t be done anymore because cities have changed and, lets
        face it, you can´t allow kids play in street all day long in a big city.
        Other things are just stupid and more harmfull than good.
        I don´t know about other places. But here half the food and cleaning
        products are anti-bacteries, anti-blabla, anti-whatever... lot´s of stuff
        killing things that have always been there and never killed us... I can´t
        stop thinking that being too protected actually makes us weaker and not
        stronger.

        Japan, of course, is different. I never noticed about helmets. But I did
        noticed about the kids alone on subway... I will look for the helmet thing
        anyway. ^^; Now I´m curious.

        BTW, any news on the japanesse edition? Will it be out for August or it´s
        still too soon? I have no idea of how long this things takes to be
        translated and published.

        Minako.
      • Trevor
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 12, 2004
          Being young, I would say that around thirty or forty percent of the
          list applied to my childhood as well. On the restrictiveness issue,
          my parents never gave me restriction, just so long as I left a note
          or something, I could hop on my bike and go wherever, usually with my
          friends. Thinking back, I always think how worried I would be if I
          had a child and let him/her live the way my parents let me, but it's
          a great way to grow up. My mom always tries to get me to wear a
          helmet, but it broke and I don't wear it anymore when I bikeride.
          By the way, Lynn, do you think there will ever be a list of your
          publishers on your website? That way it would be easier to find
          information about foreign editions, which I want to collect =)