Re: Situations that seem to sneak into every novel

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
      yah well...the reason why authors employ this ...er tool... is quite
      obvious..but hihi... i guess there are millions of other ways to do
      it as well... i'd asume that writing (at least for me it is) is
      about being creative... so...
      in essence... if that sort of passage apears... was the author lazzy?

      noemrml ;-)
    • David Peavy
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
        On a side note, I've known many people (including my partner) who've worked
        in the NICU in hospitals. They've all commented on the fact that when men
        are coming out of comas, they invariably check to make sure that their
        penis is still attached to them, either either their eyes or hands. I've
        yet to seen this fact of human nature mentioned in any novel.

        David

        > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:26:54 -0000
        > From: "noerml" <noerml@...>
        >Subject: Situations that seem to sneak into every novel
        >
        >Strange kind of topic...but didn't know how else to put it...
        >umm...
        >Last night i was starting to re-read HW for i could not sleep...and
        >i stumbled over this little passage at the begining just when Ki
        >woke up first time after Arkoniel magically threw him off his horse.
        >
        >the: "how long have i been asleep"-phrase.
        >or the: "u have been asleep for XXdays..."-phrase
      • Kc2
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
          Gordo Garcia <AcidBurn3001@...> wrote:

          I think that this scene makes you feel something more for Ki.

          <snip>

          Its to give the reading a sense of danger and excitement. To have the reader locked into a suspense because the reader won't stop reading until he/she knows what happened to that character. If that character awoke or stayed asleep. Well, thats what I think anyways.

          W.O.R

          I absolutely agree - and it also provides a method for other charactors to express themselves about the individual who has been hurt. And yes, there may be other ways (maybe even a lot of other ways) to do this, but then you get another story altogether.

          In this particular instance, my own personal feeling is that Ki's "coma" and the length of time he was "out of it" had more to do with Arkoniel's magic than with any actual physical assault or coincidental hitting of his head.

          Having been in a snowmobile accident as a child wherein I sustained a head injury and a corresponding loss of copious amounts of blood, I am told I was in a coma for two days. Can't say I remember any of it, or much of the week following that incident.

          Just a month ago, however, my oldest son was attacked by three other teenagers and suffered an orbital blowout (wherein the bottom of his eyesocket was fractured, requiring the surgical insertion of a titanium plate). Although a head injury and quite bloody, he never lost consciousness - despite the severity of the attack.

          A week later, my youngest son was the victim of a hit and run driver (as a pedestrian), wherein the passengers-side mirror of the Lincoln Navigator SUV that hit him in the face was actually ripped from the vehicle (causing $6000 worth of damage to the SUV). And, despite the fact that the mirror hit him squarely in the face, causing him to be thrown to the street where he hit the side, and then back of his head, he only lost consciousness for a moment or two. There was, however (thankfully), a noticeable lack of large amounts of blood in that instance.

          So... as I mentioned ... for me, it makes more sense to me that Ki was "out of it" in a "coma" due to the magic employed than any actual physical action. I will admit, however, that I hadn't realized I felt this way until Noerml brought the subject up!

          Kc

        • Purchase Family
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
            It will DEFINITELY be in my next one <g>

            On a side note, I've known many people (including my partner) who've worked
            in the NICU in hospitals. They've all commented on the fact that when men
            are coming out of comas, they invariably check to make sure that their
            penis is still attached to them, either either their eyes or hands. I've
            yet to seen this fact of human nature mentioned in any novel.

            David

            > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:26:54 -0000
            > From: "noerml" <noerml@...>
            >Subject: Situations that seem to sneak into every novel
            >
            >Strange kind of topic...but didn't know how else to put it...
            >umm...
            >Last night i was starting to re-read HW for i could not sleep...and
            >i stumbled over this little passage at the begining just when Ki
            >woke up first time after Arkoniel magically threw him off his horse.
            >
            >the: "how long have i been asleep"-phrase.
            >or the: "u have been asleep for XXdays..."-phrase

            The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
            Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
              Oh, then will you give David a little acknowledgement in the credits?
              A funny note like that deserves it, IMO. *bg*

              From: Purchase Family <purchase@...>

              It will DEFINITELY be in my next one <g>

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
                Well, hadn't thought of that - but it's a good idea. Don't let me forget, should Iever get so far as having a novel accepted!

                Nigel

                From: Purchase Family <purchase@...>

                It will DEFINITELY be in my next one <g>