Situations that seem to sneak into every novel

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2004
      Strange kind of topic...but didn't know how else to put it...
      umm...
      Last night i was starting to re-read HW for i could not sleep...and
      i stumbled over this little passage at the begining just when Ki
      woke up first time after Arkoniel magically threw him off his horse.

      the: "how long have i been asleep"-phrase.
      or the: "u have been asleep for XXdays..."-phrase

      I am no doctor nor do i have any personal knowledge about it... but
      why do characters in so many novels have accidents (well that's
      obvious :P) that knock them unconscious and they wouldn't wake up
      for some days, ranging between 2days and a week, depending on the
      author. Is this a medical fact?
      I mean sometimes when ppl are very ill they are bound to bed for a
      couple of weeks or even months..and sometimes they spend most of the
      time sleeping cuz boredom, sedatives or whatver only waking up every
      now and then
      But hm... maybe it's just that it's such an exhausted phrase.. i
      mean frankly... out of 10 books i am sure at least 50% do have a
      similar situation in it... WHY?
      There have been quite some accidents in my family and some of them
      rather serious ones, but none of them ever sleep through 3 days or
      something like that. Now artifical coma or comatose conditions are
      of course a different thing, but that hardly fits into a medival
      style world where things as fever, cold or diarrhea already carried
      off millions of ppl every year.

      Tho i frankly don't know if this can happen and it's a common
      reaction of ones body to sort of sleep off serious injuries...

      noerml - looking for an explanation
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2004
        I'm not a doctor either, nor a novelist, for that matter. But I
        suspect that at least one reason why authors use this so often is
        because it can be a very useful plot point. Aside from really
        stressing (and perhaps exaggerating) the severity of whatever
        happened to the character, it's also a very handy way to "skip over"
        time segments of the story that perhaps the author didn't want to
        write about, or felt the readers wouldn't want to read about, or had
        to omit due to length or time restrictions. Of course, there are
        many ways to get around skipping a period of time. The author could
        simply skip ahead, which is often done, but that can leave some
        readers feeling left out or asking questions (I would point to the
        topic we had here recently about the time between SD and TM, although
        it's not quite the same scenario, since that was a time period
        between books).

        Anyway, if you have your character waking up after a week or month or
        whatever of sleep, it helps the reader better identify with the
        character because they too have missed that time and only have access
        to what went on from what other characters or the narrator offer to
        tell about it.

        Er, but that's just one thought on it.

        And as far as how it could happen - hey, it's fiction ;) Maybe
        people in fantasy worlds don't have the neurological constitution
        that we do. Or maybe they just like to sleep.

        Matt
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@u...> wrote:
        > Strange kind of topic...but didn't know how else to put it...
        > umm...
        > Last night i was starting to re-read HW for i could not sleep...and
        > i stumbled over this little passage at the begining just when Ki
        > woke up first time after Arkoniel magically threw him off his horse.
        >
        > the: "how long have i been asleep"-phrase.
        > or the: "u have been asleep for XXdays..."-phrase
        >
        > I am no doctor nor do i have any personal knowledge about it... but
        > why do characters in so many novels have accidents (well that's
        > obvious :P) that knock them unconscious and they wouldn't wake up
        > for some days, ranging between 2days and a week, depending on the
        > author. Is this a medical fact?
        > I mean sometimes when ppl are very ill they are bound to bed for a
        > couple of weeks or even months..and sometimes they spend most of
        the
        > time sleeping cuz boredom, sedatives or whatver only waking up
        every
        > now and then
        > But hm... maybe it's just that it's such an exhausted phrase.. i
        > mean frankly... out of 10 books i am sure at least 50% do have a
        > similar situation in it... WHY?
        > There have been quite some accidents in my family and some of them
        > rather serious ones, but none of them ever sleep through 3 days or
        > something like that. Now artifical coma or comatose conditions are
        > of course a different thing, but that hardly fits into a medival
        > style world where things as fever, cold or diarrhea already
        carried
        > off millions of ppl every year.
        >
        > Tho i frankly don't know if this can happen and it's a common
        > reaction of ones body to sort of sleep off serious injuries...
        >
        > noerml - looking for an explanation
      • Anja Arendt
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2004
          I also think that it is mostly for dramatic effect. As far as I know,
          for a person to be unconscious for several days means serious and life
          threatening damage, maybe even brain injury. To "just" sleep more than
          12 or 15 hours means that a person has to be exhausted and depleted
          beyond any measure, which is also quite a serious condition.

          Fire

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2004
            People lie in comas for quite a while and come out of them fine, so long as
            they don't dehydrate or starve. I'm sure there's a limit after which brain
            damage does occur, but muscle atrophy is likely to happen first. Either way, it
            takes much longer than a few days. My assumption is that Ki was "out of it" in
            that he slept and was too groggy to respond most of the time, or perhaps in
            an actual coma. He got slammed pretty badly by Arkoniel's spell, after all. I
            could have gone into all the details of Nari spooning water and cool broth into
            him, or perhaps using a rag and squeezing it between his lips, both actual
            methods, pre-IV, and how they had to keep a thick pad under him and take
            care of his bodily functions in that area, but decided that was best left to the
            reader's imagination. Or not. Your choice. ;-)

            Lynn

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 30, 2004
              yah... i guess there can be found an explanation... but seriously
              whenever i read the "how long have i been asleep2-phrase i go
              crazy...
              i mean it might be a very nice way to push forward the plot...and
              whatever else already mentioned in some previous posts...
              but it's in almost every book i read... gah :D
              I once saw this documentary about porn...er..can u call em
              movies? :P... where they discussed why men expect certain elements
              to be in every single movie...

              is the "how long have i been asleep"-phrase and element readers want
              to have in their books?

              noerml
            • Wendy Darling
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 30, 2004
                I'm not usually too bothered by this "cliche." Most of the time, I
                assume the character has not *literally* been asleep for days but
                instead has just been really "out of it." If you sustain major burns,
                get big-time stabbed, have your leg crushed or get really sick, etc. I
                really doubt you are going to be the most alert time-conscious person.
                This seems especially true if we are talking pre-industrial and there
                aren't a ton of medicines & treatments to make you hurt less and get
                better.

                When a book (like one of Lynn's) has the "how long have I been
                asleep?" phrase, I interpret it as the character is finally conscious
                and "with it" enough to actually comprehend that they've been sick for
                days and now they want to know. In between, they've probably been
                sleeping, half-waking up, being fed, maybe even talking to people, but
                not really making much sense or living as a normal person.

                I know I've had several instances where I've been really ill to the
                point all days just sort of blend together because every day I've been
                in bed struggle to breath, sweating, etc. I think if I'd had some more
                severe injuries and hadn't had to take care of myself (because others
                were there worrying) I might have lost track of days even worse.

                My thoughts,
                Wendy

                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noerml" <noerml@u...> wrote:
                > yah... i guess there can be found an explanation... but seriously
                > whenever i read the "how long have i been asleep2-phrase i go
                > crazy...
                > i mean it might be a very nice way to push forward the plot...and
                > whatever else already mentioned in some previous posts...
                > but it's in almost every book i read... gah :D
                > I once saw this documentary about porn...er..can u call em
                > movies? :P... where they discussed why men expect certain elements
                > to be in every single movie...
                >
                > is the "how long have i been asleep"-phrase and element readers want
                > to have in their books?
                >
                > noerml
              • Gordo Garcia
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2004
                  Hi, I'm new but to what you were saying.
                  I believe that authors use this accident scenario as a turning point or even to give you a new point of view of a character. This scenario makes you feel for the characters in the book. For the book Hidden Warrior in that scene with Ki. Well, Think about it, here is a pre-teen going after this other pre-teen friend who may be in danger and goes after him with a ghost as a guide and then to arrive and not reach his friend but to be struck down by someone who he admires and is a to be guardian.
                  I think that this scene makes you feel something more for Ki. I believe it makes you feel more of a sympathy and a unspoken love between Ki and Tobin. This scenario also makes the love that Tobin have for Ki strengthen. This is also a scene where you see that Tobin has a deeper feeling for Ki now knowing that he is a girl underneath borrowed skin. I believe that accident scenarios give you a new understanding for characters and makes you fall in love with them more with the thought of them being in pain.
                  I don't know anything of medicine but I think the reason while they have them asleep for so long is to make the story more interesting, as to say well they got hurt this bad that they slept in a coma-like sleep this long. Its to give the reading a sense of danger and excitement. To have the reader locked into a suspense because the reader won't stop reading until he/she knows what happened to that character. If that character awoke or stayed asleep. Well, thats what I think anyways.

                  W.O.R

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
                    yah well...the reason why authors employ this ...er tool... is quite
                    obvious..but hihi... i guess there are millions of other ways to do
                    it as well... i'd asume that writing (at least for me it is) is
                    about being creative... so...
                    in essence... if that sort of passage apears... was the author lazzy?

                    noemrml ;-)
                  • David Peavy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
                      On a side note, I've known many people (including my partner) who've worked
                      in the NICU in hospitals. They've all commented on the fact that when men
                      are coming out of comas, they invariably check to make sure that their
                      penis is still attached to them, either either their eyes or hands. I've
                      yet to seen this fact of human nature mentioned in any novel.

                      David

                      > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:26:54 -0000
                      > From: "noerml" <noerml@...>
                      >Subject: Situations that seem to sneak into every novel
                      >
                      >Strange kind of topic...but didn't know how else to put it...
                      >umm...
                      >Last night i was starting to re-read HW for i could not sleep...and
                      >i stumbled over this little passage at the begining just when Ki
                      >woke up first time after Arkoniel magically threw him off his horse.
                      >
                      >the: "how long have i been asleep"-phrase.
                      >or the: "u have been asleep for XXdays..."-phrase
                    • Kc2
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
                        Gordo Garcia <AcidBurn3001@...> wrote:

                        I think that this scene makes you feel something more for Ki.

                        <snip>

                        Its to give the reading a sense of danger and excitement. To have the reader locked into a suspense because the reader won't stop reading until he/she knows what happened to that character. If that character awoke or stayed asleep. Well, thats what I think anyways.

                        W.O.R

                        I absolutely agree - and it also provides a method for other charactors to express themselves about the individual who has been hurt. And yes, there may be other ways (maybe even a lot of other ways) to do this, but then you get another story altogether.

                        In this particular instance, my own personal feeling is that Ki's "coma" and the length of time he was "out of it" had more to do with Arkoniel's magic than with any actual physical assault or coincidental hitting of his head.

                        Having been in a snowmobile accident as a child wherein I sustained a head injury and a corresponding loss of copious amounts of blood, I am told I was in a coma for two days. Can't say I remember any of it, or much of the week following that incident.

                        Just a month ago, however, my oldest son was attacked by three other teenagers and suffered an orbital blowout (wherein the bottom of his eyesocket was fractured, requiring the surgical insertion of a titanium plate). Although a head injury and quite bloody, he never lost consciousness - despite the severity of the attack.

                        A week later, my youngest son was the victim of a hit and run driver (as a pedestrian), wherein the passengers-side mirror of the Lincoln Navigator SUV that hit him in the face was actually ripped from the vehicle (causing $6000 worth of damage to the SUV). And, despite the fact that the mirror hit him squarely in the face, causing him to be thrown to the street where he hit the side, and then back of his head, he only lost consciousness for a moment or two. There was, however (thankfully), a noticeable lack of large amounts of blood in that instance.

                        So... as I mentioned ... for me, it makes more sense to me that Ki was "out of it" in a "coma" due to the magic employed than any actual physical action. I will admit, however, that I hadn't realized I felt this way until Noerml brought the subject up!

                        Kc

                      • Purchase Family
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
                          It will DEFINITELY be in my next one <g>

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
                            Oh, then will you give David a little acknowledgement in the credits?
                            A funny note like that deserves it, IMO. *bg*

                            From: Purchase Family <purchase@...>

                            It will DEFINITELY be in my next one <g>

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 2, 2004
                              Well, hadn't thought of that - but it's a good idea. Don't let me forget, should Iever get so far as having a novel accepted!

                              Nigel

                              From: Purchase Family <purchase@...>

                              It will DEFINITELY be in my next one <g>