Hi Laura J! was Re: Fanfictions?

  • Laura J. Underwood
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hey, Lynn!

      No, just been sorta busy lately. Just got back from ConQuesT in KC,
      where I was dodging tornados and getting in touch with my "inner
      bubba." Which is to say the Yard Dog Theatre won the humor award at
      the masquerade... There are even pictures, so I can't deny it.
      *sigh* I'm doomed... *g*

      Laura J. Underwood

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling"

      <audrey_talssi@h...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Does anyone know where I could find fanfictions about the Tamir
      > > > trilogy?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!
    • Laura J. Underwood
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
        http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/04conq16.htm

        And here's the proof... *g*

        I'm the Bubba with the tire iron. *g*

        Laura J. Underwood (the things I do to keep my editors happy...)
      • Wendy Darling
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
          Lynn,

          Actually I tried earlier today to search the archive and locate the
          excellent post you made a few months ago about fan fiction, but it
          didn't turn up anything, although I tried 3-4 diferent phrases and
          words. If I could have found it, I would have offered a link to it.
          Perhaps it would be helpful to copy it into a text file and put it
          under files, so it's easily found.

          Wendy

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Laura J. Underwood" <keltora@s...> wrote:
            > http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/04conq16.htm
            >
            > And here's the proof... *g*
            >
            > I'm the Bubba with the tire iron. *g*
            >
            > Laura J. Underwood (the things I do to keep my editors happy...)

            And this is the woman I consider my #1 choice for convention room mate . . . . LOL! I
            browsed the site and came across--"Lord of the Funyon Rings"!?!?!?! ROFLOL!
          • Laura J. Underwood
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
              LOL! Yeah, as I said, the things I do to keep the editors happy. I
              was shanghaied, I swear.

              The winner of best in show was Sherri Dean as Fiona from Shrek. She
              even had the exploding bird.

              KC SF folks know how to have fun. *g*

              <otterdance2@a...> wrote:
              > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Laura J. Underwood"
              <keltora@s...> wrote:
              > > http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/04conq16.htm
              > >
              > > And here's the proof... *g*
              > >
              > > I'm the Bubba with the tire iron. *g*
              > >
              > > Laura J. Underwood (the things I do to keep my editors happy...)
              >
              > And this is the woman I consider my #1 choice for convention room
              mate . . . . LOL! I
              > browsed the site and came across--"Lord of the Funyon
              Rings"!?!?!?! ROFLOL!
            • tawariel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                <keltora@s...> wrote:
                > I'm not Lynn, but few authors allow fan fiction to be written about
                > their worlds these days as it can compromise the author's copyright.
                >
                > Laura J. Underwood

                I found the post you mean. It's message #15148.
                I copy it here for all newbies and I'll put one copy in our files for
                further newbies. ;-)

                Tawariel
                /moderator assistant

                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                "From: "lynn_flewelling"
                Date: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:48 pm
                Subject: Pondering the Fanfiction Issue was Re: *waves*

                I thought this would be a good opportunity to update the Official
                Word on fanfiction.
                (No flames follow!) I

                For those who are new to the Flewelling list, this whole controversy
                started back
                in 1999, when your Humble Author got unexpectedly caught between US
                contract
                law, fan enthusiasm (and in a few rare and isolated but rather
                upsetting cases,
                frightening arrogance), and Herself's own personal feelings on the
                matter. At that
                point, fanfic based on books was very rare and I hold the peculiar
                distinction of being
                the first fanfic'd author my agent, editor, or I had ever heard of.
                One positive outcome
                of that whole nasty business was this list, thanks to our own dear
                Helen Brown, who
                was kind enough to establish a fanfiction-free list and welcome me in
                it. For the
                record, I've always suspected that my being here may skew the
                discussion, so I don't
                hang out anywhere else. People are welcome to say what they like
                about my work without me hanging over their shoulders.

                But I digress. A lot of water has passed beneath the bridge since
                1999 and I've done
                as much research as I can on the fanfiction matter as it pertains to
                my work.

                The Legal Bottom Line: Under the terms of my contract with Bantam,
                and probably

                some of my other eleven or so international publishers around the
                world, I cannot
                legally sanction unauthorized fanfiction based on my work published
                in any public
                forum, including for free on the 'net, without risking my legal claim
                to my own
                copyrighted work. To do so could result in quite a disasterous
                scenario for me personally, both artistically and financially.

                Thanks to this, I was placed in the very awkward position, back
                in '99, of speaking to
                some fanfiction writers on the 'net, asking them to take down their
                work. It was a horrible experience. While most were very nice about
                it, I still felt badly
                having to tell someone that such an expression of enthusiasm was
                unwelcome. No
                author wants the rep of "going after" their fans. I do not make it a
                habit to go hunting, either.

                So how do I, in 2004, feel about fanfiction based on my work?
                Unofficially, off the
                record, and not legally bindingly? Mixed feelings. I'm still carrying
                the scars of that
                first encounter, and am very nervous at making any statement in
                quotable form, as
                here. But I do understand the "homage" aspect, and am touched that my
                work would
                have enough impact to make people's imaginations run wild--amok even.
                As I've told
                a number of people who have been kind enough to write me seeking
                permission, I
                cannot legally tell anyone that it's ok to publish it. Whatever
                anyone does privately is
                their own darn business, so long as it doesn't become my problem.
                N'uff said.

                In other countries, most notably Japan, copyright laws are much
                looser, to the point
                that there are whole industries based on "unauthorized" graphic
                novels and amateur
                fiction based on various books and televisions shows. What little
                I've seen of the
                original author's reactions seem to be pretty benign. Yoshiro
                Nightow, creator of the
                very popular Trigun manga and anime (both excellent, btw, says the
                recent convert),
                is baffled by the enormous amount of slash written about his
                characters, but shrugs
                and says in effect "Whaddya gonna do?" Under Japanse law, he can
                afford to do this
                and has no doubt lost less sleep over the matter than I have. Would
                it be legal for a
                Japanese writer or manga artist to use my characters in Japan, you
                ask? I don't know.

                Regarding Fan Art: I understand there have been a few online remarks
                from people angry that I sanction fan art but not fan fic. Bottom
                line: Fan art does not have any
                legal repercussions for me. That's why it's been such a pleasure to
                be able to honor
                and share it via the Gallery on my website (to the point of actually
                paying my provider
                for extra megabytes to accomodate the huge file storage needs) and to
                see what folks
                have posted to the Files here. To date I haven't received
                any "naughty" (read: erotic,
                slash, or "yaoi") art, which has thus far spared me from having to
                figure out how to
                make an age-protected link. I'm not completely sure how I feel about
                that, except
                that it would have to be *really* well executed.

                **note to artists: I don't pull anything from the files here. If you
                want art included in
                the Gallery on my website, you need to send a jpeg directly to me,
                scaled to fit. Send all art to: otterdance2@....

                Anyway, fan art, as well as songs and poetry based on my work, seem
                to be ok with
                the legal beagles. I also have no problem giving written
                authorization to music
                students who set actual songs from the books to music for school
                projects.
                Frankly, that's all just too cool and exciting for words, though I do
                wonder what an
                audience of university "mundanes" must have made of "The Lay of
                Amaranth". If
                someone meant to record such adaptations for profit, contracts would
                be made
                through my agent for whatever shared royalties were fair and common
                practice.

                Anyone who thinks that all this sounds mercenary has never tried to
                help support a
                family in this business. I made the same committment to the winner of
                last year's
                "Otter Art" contest. I have her permission to use her delightful
                design for
                promotional giveaway items, like bookplates, but if I were to use it
                on something I
                was selling, I'd give her a cut of each sale. I don't like work for
                hire and don't plan to
                use it to my advantage any time soon.

                At some point in the future, I suppose I could throw open the
                Nightrunner world for
                an authorized antho of stories, though I'm not quite to the point of
                wanting to share
                my toys just yet. (i.e., don't start writing me about it.) But there
                are precedents for
                that and it would all be done safely under contract, protecting
                everyone involved.
                We'll see.

                Well, I've probably rambled around enough to get myself in trouble,
                so I'll close.
                Comments and questions welcome. Anyone who wishes to forward my
                comments to other interested parties is welcome to do so.

                Lynn"
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "tawariel" <tawariel@g...> wrote:

                  > I found the post you mean. It's message #15148.
                  > I copy it here for all newbies and I'll put one copy in our files for
                  > further newbies. ;-)
                  >
                  > Tawariel
                  > /moderator assistant

                  Thanks so much! That's the one. And if you go to that post, you'll find the long ranging
                  discussion that followed. It was a good one, too.