Hi Laura J! was Re: Fanfictions?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
      Laura J.!!!!! Did you just join here? Give up on ever hearing from me again on SFF.Net? Re:
      fanfictions, this issue has been covered ad nauseum here. Anyone with any questions
      should just do a search of the archive.

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Laura J. Underwood" <keltora@s...> wrote:
      > I'm not Lynn, but few authors allow fan fiction to be written about
      > their worlds these days as it can compromise the author's copyright.
      >
      > Laura J. Underwood
      >

      > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "cara672000" <audrey_talssi@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > Does anyone know where I could find fanfictions about the Tamir
      > > trilogy?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
    • Laura J. Underwood
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
        Hey, Lynn!

        No, just been sorta busy lately. Just got back from ConQuesT in KC,
        where I was dodging tornados and getting in touch with my "inner
        bubba." Which is to say the Yard Dog Theatre won the humor award at
        the masquerade... There are even pictures, so I can't deny it.
        *sigh* I'm doomed... *g*

        Laura J. Underwood

        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling"
        <otterdance2@a...> wrote:
        > Laura J.!!!!! Did you just join here? Give up on ever hearing from
        me again on SFF.Net? Re:
        > fanfictions, this issue has been covered ad nauseum here. Anyone
        with any questions
        > should just do a search of the archive.
        >
        > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Laura J. Underwood"
        <keltora@s...> wrote:
        > > I'm not Lynn, but few authors allow fan fiction to be written
        about
        > > their worlds these days as it can compromise the author's
        copyright.

        > > Laura J. Underwood
        > >

        > > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "cara672000"
        <audrey_talssi@h...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Does anyone know where I could find fanfictions about the Tamir
        > > > trilogy?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!
      • Laura J. Underwood
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
          http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/04conq16.htm

          And here's the proof... *g*

          I'm the Bubba with the tire iron. *g*

          Laura J. Underwood (the things I do to keep my editors happy...)
        • Wendy Darling
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
            Lynn,

            Actually I tried earlier today to search the archive and locate the
            excellent post you made a few months ago about fan fiction, but it
            didn't turn up anything, although I tried 3-4 diferent phrases and
            words. If I could have found it, I would have offered a link to it.
            Perhaps it would be helpful to copy it into a text file and put it
            under files, so it's easily found.

            Wendy

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Laura J. Underwood" <keltora@s...> wrote:
              > http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/04conq16.htm
              >
              > And here's the proof... *g*
              >
              > I'm the Bubba with the tire iron. *g*
              >
              > Laura J. Underwood (the things I do to keep my editors happy...)

              And this is the woman I consider my #1 choice for convention room mate . . . . LOL! I
              browsed the site and came across--"Lord of the Funyon Rings"!?!?!?! ROFLOL!
            • Laura J. Underwood
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                LOL! Yeah, as I said, the things I do to keep the editors happy. I
                was shanghaied, I swear.

                The winner of best in show was Sherri Dean as Fiona from Shrek. She
                even had the exploding bird.

                KC SF folks know how to have fun. *g*

                <otterdance2@a...> wrote:
                > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Laura J. Underwood"
                <keltora@s...> wrote:
                > > http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/04conq16.htm
                > >
                > > And here's the proof... *g*
                > >
                > > I'm the Bubba with the tire iron. *g*
                > >
                > > Laura J. Underwood (the things I do to keep my editors happy...)
                >
                > And this is the woman I consider my #1 choice for convention room
                mate . . . . LOL! I
                > browsed the site and came across--"Lord of the Funyon
                Rings"!?!?!?! ROFLOL!
              • tawariel
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                  <keltora@s...> wrote:
                  > I'm not Lynn, but few authors allow fan fiction to be written about
                  > their worlds these days as it can compromise the author's copyright.
                  >
                  > Laura J. Underwood

                  I found the post you mean. It's message #15148.
                  I copy it here for all newbies and I'll put one copy in our files for
                  further newbies. ;-)

                  Tawariel
                  /moderator assistant

                  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                  "From: "lynn_flewelling"
                  Date: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:48 pm
                  Subject: Pondering the Fanfiction Issue was Re: *waves*

                  I thought this would be a good opportunity to update the Official
                  Word on fanfiction.
                  (No flames follow!) I

                  For those who are new to the Flewelling list, this whole controversy
                  started back
                  in 1999, when your Humble Author got unexpectedly caught between US
                  contract
                  law, fan enthusiasm (and in a few rare and isolated but rather
                  upsetting cases,
                  frightening arrogance), and Herself's own personal feelings on the
                  matter. At that
                  point, fanfic based on books was very rare and I hold the peculiar
                  distinction of being
                  the first fanfic'd author my agent, editor, or I had ever heard of.
                  One positive outcome
                  of that whole nasty business was this list, thanks to our own dear
                  Helen Brown, who
                  was kind enough to establish a fanfiction-free list and welcome me in
                  it. For the
                  record, I've always suspected that my being here may skew the
                  discussion, so I don't
                  hang out anywhere else. People are welcome to say what they like
                  about my work without me hanging over their shoulders.

                  But I digress. A lot of water has passed beneath the bridge since
                  1999 and I've done
                  as much research as I can on the fanfiction matter as it pertains to
                  my work.

                  The Legal Bottom Line: Under the terms of my contract with Bantam,
                  and probably

                  some of my other eleven or so international publishers around the
                  world, I cannot
                  legally sanction unauthorized fanfiction based on my work published
                  in any public
                  forum, including for free on the 'net, without risking my legal claim
                  to my own
                  copyrighted work. To do so could result in quite a disasterous
                  scenario for me personally, both artistically and financially.

                  Thanks to this, I was placed in the very awkward position, back
                  in '99, of speaking to
                  some fanfiction writers on the 'net, asking them to take down their
                  work. It was a horrible experience. While most were very nice about
                  it, I still felt badly
                  having to tell someone that such an expression of enthusiasm was
                  unwelcome. No
                  author wants the rep of "going after" their fans. I do not make it a
                  habit to go hunting, either.

                  So how do I, in 2004, feel about fanfiction based on my work?
                  Unofficially, off the
                  record, and not legally bindingly? Mixed feelings. I'm still carrying
                  the scars of that
                  first encounter, and am very nervous at making any statement in
                  quotable form, as
                  here. But I do understand the "homage" aspect, and am touched that my
                  work would
                  have enough impact to make people's imaginations run wild--amok even.
                  As I've told
                  a number of people who have been kind enough to write me seeking
                  permission, I
                  cannot legally tell anyone that it's ok to publish it. Whatever
                  anyone does privately is
                  their own darn business, so long as it doesn't become my problem.
                  N'uff said.

                  In other countries, most notably Japan, copyright laws are much
                  looser, to the point
                  that there are whole industries based on "unauthorized" graphic
                  novels and amateur
                  fiction based on various books and televisions shows. What little
                  I've seen of the
                  original author's reactions seem to be pretty benign. Yoshiro
                  Nightow, creator of the
                  very popular Trigun manga and anime (both excellent, btw, says the
                  recent convert),
                  is baffled by the enormous amount of slash written about his
                  characters, but shrugs
                  and says in effect "Whaddya gonna do?" Under Japanse law, he can
                  afford to do this
                  and has no doubt lost less sleep over the matter than I have. Would
                  it be legal for a
                  Japanese writer or manga artist to use my characters in Japan, you
                  ask? I don't know.

                  Regarding Fan Art: I understand there have been a few online remarks
                  from people angry that I sanction fan art but not fan fic. Bottom
                  line: Fan art does not have any
                  legal repercussions for me. That's why it's been such a pleasure to
                  be able to honor
                  and share it via the Gallery on my website (to the point of actually
                  paying my provider
                  for extra megabytes to accomodate the huge file storage needs) and to
                  see what folks
                  have posted to the Files here. To date I haven't received
                  any "naughty" (read: erotic,
                  slash, or "yaoi") art, which has thus far spared me from having to
                  figure out how to
                  make an age-protected link. I'm not completely sure how I feel about
                  that, except
                  that it would have to be *really* well executed.

                  **note to artists: I don't pull anything from the files here. If you
                  want art included in
                  the Gallery on my website, you need to send a jpeg directly to me,
                  scaled to fit. Send all art to: otterdance2@....

                  Anyway, fan art, as well as songs and poetry based on my work, seem
                  to be ok with
                  the legal beagles. I also have no problem giving written
                  authorization to music
                  students who set actual songs from the books to music for school
                  projects.
                  Frankly, that's all just too cool and exciting for words, though I do
                  wonder what an
                  audience of university "mundanes" must have made of "The Lay of
                  Amaranth". If
                  someone meant to record such adaptations for profit, contracts would
                  be made
                  through my agent for whatever shared royalties were fair and common
                  practice.

                  Anyone who thinks that all this sounds mercenary has never tried to
                  help support a
                  family in this business. I made the same committment to the winner of
                  last year's
                  "Otter Art" contest. I have her permission to use her delightful
                  design for
                  promotional giveaway items, like bookplates, but if I were to use it
                  on something I
                  was selling, I'd give her a cut of each sale. I don't like work for
                  hire and don't plan to
                  use it to my advantage any time soon.

                  At some point in the future, I suppose I could throw open the
                  Nightrunner world for
                  an authorized antho of stories, though I'm not quite to the point of
                  wanting to share
                  my toys just yet. (i.e., don't start writing me about it.) But there
                  are precedents for
                  that and it would all be done safely under contract, protecting
                  everyone involved.
                  We'll see.

                  Well, I've probably rambled around enough to get myself in trouble,
                  so I'll close.
                  Comments and questions welcome. Anyone who wishes to forward my
                  comments to other interested parties is welcome to do so.

                  Lynn"
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                    --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "tawariel" <tawariel@g...> wrote:

                    > I found the post you mean. It's message #15148.
                    > I copy it here for all newbies and I'll put one copy in our files for
                    > further newbies. ;-)
                    >
                    > Tawariel
                    > /moderator assistant

                    Thanks so much! That's the one. And if you go to that post, you'll find the long ranging
                    discussion that followed. It was a good one, too.