Re: [Flewelling] OT: Not an IQ test

  • Jessica Fisher
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 15, 2004
      On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 erichens@... wrote:

      > SCORING:
      > 24-26 correct - 50+ years old
      > 20-23 correct - 40's
      > 15-19 correct - 30's
      > 10-14 correct - 20's
      > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
      > 0 correct - SENILE!!!!!

      When was this quiz made? Because I'm 21 and I scored 8! That and
      everything on there except the M&M's that I knew were things I knew from
      reruns of old TV shows, not because they're things that happened since I
      was born in 1982 . . . ;)

      ~Jess
    • vulpinebard
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Fisher <jfisher@h...>
        wrote:
        > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 erichens@o... wrote:
        >
        > > SCORING:
        > > 24-26 correct - 50+ years old
        > > 20-23 correct - 40's
        > > 15-19 correct - 30's
        > > 10-14 correct - 20's
        > > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
        > > 0 correct - SENILE!!!!!

        I agree. I'm 22 and I scored 14, which is right on the money, maybe
        even a little high, but I don't remember any of these from television
        when I was a kid, save the M&Ms. I remembered Maynard G. Krebs and a
        few others thanks to the fact that I used to watch Nick at Night all
        the time.
      • Jennifer
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
          I didn't do very well either...I only got 12 correct, and I'm going
          to be 32 at the end of this month. :P

          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "vulpinebard" <ragacke@h...>
          wrote:
          > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Fisher <jfisher@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 erichens@o... wrote:
          > >
          > > > SCORING:
          > > > 24-26 correct - 50+ years old
          > > > 20-23 correct - 40's
          > > > 15-19 correct - 30's
          > > > 10-14 correct - 20's
          > > > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
          > > > 0 correct - SENILE!!!!!
          > >

          > I agree. I'm 22 and I scored 14, which is right on the money,
          maybe
          > even a little high, but I don't remember any of these from
          television
          > when I was a kid, save the M&Ms. I remembered Maynard G. Krebs and
          > few others thanks to the fact that I used to watch Nick at Night
          all
          > the time.
        • Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
            I missed three, so that put me right where I should be. :) It WAS fun--thanks for sharing.

            Rie

            20-23 correct - 40's

            Visit me at http://www.riewriter.com
            Want fame? Check out the Game to Fame!
            http://gametofame.net/profiles.asp?quserid=RieSheridan
            EPPIE 2004 Finalists: STRAYING FROM THE PATH; THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ
            Proud Dawnstar Books Affiliate--your book marketing plan starts here!

          • Andrea Chavez
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
              I think I missed 3 as well, but I would like to say
              that many of these things I know about because I know
              something about American popular history, not because
              I was alive for all of them. (OK, I was alive for a
              lot of them, but I really wasn't glue to the TV for
              the first ten years of my life)

              Lots of thoese are American icons, if you don't know
              them, wow, run quick to your nearest bookstore and get
              "What everyone needs to know about American History"
              You'll thank me in the morning! :-)

              Andrea -- also 40, but younger at heart and older in
              SOME areas of trivia!!

              ;-)

              --- "Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)"
              <riewrites1@...> wrote:
              > I missed three, so that put me right where I should
              > be. :) It WAS fun--thanks for sharing.
              >
              > Rie
              >
              > 20-23 correct - 40's
              >

              > Visit me at http://www.riewriter.com
              > Want fame? Check out the Game to Fame!

              http://gametofame.net/profiles.asp?quserid=RieSheridan
              > EPPIE 2004 Finalists: STRAYING FROM THE PATH; THE
              > RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ
              > Proud Dawnstar Books Affiliate--your book marketing
              > plan starts here!

              > removed]

              =====
              Andrea C

              "I always pass on good advice,
              It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

            • Jennifer
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 16, 2004
                I'm actually pretty well-schooled in American History...just not pop-
                culture. Ask me about WWI and WWII, past presidents, etc...and I'm
                right there! I have no interest in Howdy Doody and the like,
                though. ;)

                Jen

                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Chavez <achavez47@y...>
                wrote:
                > I think I missed 3 as well, but I would like to say
                > that many of these things I know about because I know
                > something about American popular history, not because
                > I was alive for all of them. (OK, I was alive for a
                > lot of them, but I really wasn't glue to the TV for
                > the first ten years of my life)
                >
                > Lots of thoese are American icons, if you don't know
                > them, wow, run quick to your nearest bookstore and get
                > "What everyone needs to know about American History"
                > You'll thank me in the morning! :-)
                >
                > Andrea -- also 40, but younger at heart and older in
                > SOME areas of trivia!!
                >
                > ;-)

              • Tanta Green
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
                  I'm showing my age. I only got seven right.

                  Yes, and I am sort of like a teenage dude. ;)

                  Tanta Green - the world's most evilful hobbit.

                  "There's no reason to go destroying planets, regardless of personality defects." -Picollo.

                • Ann Lowe
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                    1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?

                    *feels moderately offended* They, like, only talk like that in, like, Cali,
                    in, like, the valley areas. xD
                    I got four right. Eh-heh. I'm 15 -- gimme a break! Oh, and, erm, no one
                    in Minnesota talks even REMOTELY like that. I say "dude" a lot only 'cuz it
                    annoys my teachers. . . Mean of me, yes I know. . .but there are some
                    teachers that it's just fun with! xD

                  • Jessica Fisher
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                      On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:06:43 -0600
                      "Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@...> wrote:

                      > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
                      >
                      > *feels moderately offended* They, like, only talk like that in, like, Cali,
                      > in, like, the valley areas. xD

                      And they, like, only call California "Cali" if they're not from California (I
                      have yet to figure this one out) . . . Seriously though, I'm from the Valley
                      (as in "the" Valley in Los Angeles), and I can guarantee you that the person
                      I've heard with the worst habit of that sort of speech was not even from
                      California. Add to that a lot of people who live in the Valley don't talk that
                      way either.

                      Sorry for being defensive, but I don't really like being characterized as ditzy
                      just because of where I live!

                      Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many people on this list speak
                      in a dialect? Brooklyn, Texas, Wisconsin, and all dialects in the US and other
                      countries (I'm not as familiar with them) count.

                      ~Jess
                    • Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                        People tell me I have a Texas accent--to me, I don't...unless I want to y'all. ;)

                        Rie

                        "Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@...> wrote:

                        > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
                        >
                        > *feels moderately offended* They, like, only talk like that in, like, Cali,
                        > in, like, the valley areas. xD

                        And they, like, only call California "Cali" if they're not from California (I
                        have yet to figure this one out) . . . Seriously though, I'm from the Valley
                        (as in "the" Valley in Los Angeles), and I can guarantee you that the person
                        I've heard with the worst habit of that sort of speech was not even from
                        California. Add to that a lot of people who live in the Valley don't talk that
                        way either.

                        Sorry for being defensive, but I don't really like being characterized as ditzy
                        just because of where I live!

                        Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many people on this list speak
                        in a dialect? Brooklyn, Texas, Wisconsin, and all dialects in the US and other
                        countries (I'm not as familiar with them) count.

                        ~Jess

                        The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
                        Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

                        Visit me at http://www.riewriter.com
                        Want fame? Check out the Game to Fame!
                        http://gametofame.net/profiles.asp?quserid=RieSheridan
                        EPPIE 2004 Finalists: STRAYING FROM THE PATH; THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ
                        Proud Dawnstar Books Affiliate--your book marketing plan starts here!

                      • jeffrey
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                          I am in St. Paul, MN, and grew up in the area. Many people have told me that
                          I have a VERY strong Midwestern accent....more Wisconsin than Minnesota. In
                          Minnesota, there is a distinction between people that live south of St. Paul,
                          and those that live North of St. Paul. It isn't anything like in Fargo, but
                          there are people that lean towards talking like that, but nothing that extreme.

                          Quoting Jessica Fisher <jfisher@...>:

                          > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:06:43 -0600
                          > "Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
                          > >
                          > > *feels moderately offended* They, like, only talk like that in, like,
                          > Cali,
                          > > in, like, the valley areas. xD
                          >
                          > And they, like, only call California "Cali" if they're not from California
                          > (I
                          > have yet to figure this one out) . . . Seriously though, I'm from the
                          > Valley
                          > (as in "the" Valley in Los Angeles), and I can guarantee you that the person
                          > I've heard with the worst habit of that sort of speech was not even from
                          > California. Add to that a lot of people who live in the Valley don't talk
                          > that
                          > way either.
                          >
                          > Sorry for being defensive, but I don't really like being characterized as
                          > ditzy
                          > just because of where I live!
                          >
                          > Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many people on this list
                          > speak
                          > in a dialect? Brooklyn, Texas, Wisconsin, and all dialects in the US and
                          > other
                          > countries (I'm not as familiar with them) count.
                          >
                          > ~Jess
                          >
                          > The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at Yahoo.
                          > Click on chat in the menu on the left.
                          > Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Jennifer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                            I'm in Michigan, and when I've gone out of state, I've been told I
                            have an accent. In fact, I was in NYC a couple of years ago, and I
                            ran into a few people had difficulty understanding me. Of course, I
                            can't hear the accent (since I just sound like everybody else around
                            me), but I'll take their word for it. ;)

                            Jen

                            wrote:

                            > Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many people on
                            this list speak
                            > in a dialect? Brooklyn, Texas, Wisconsin, and all dialects in the
                            US and other
                            > countries (I'm not as familiar with them) count.
                            >
                            > ~Jess
                          • Minako
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                              ^^ I got 1 answer right. XDDD But it´s because I´m from Spain. Only thing I
                              recognized was the M&M because here it was the same (but in Spanish, of
                              course).

                              About accents... You can bet I have an horrid accent when I try to talk
                              english... ;)

                              I don´t know. I can´t hear them anymore. In french I´m told I have a strong
                              Belgian accent but after 1 year working with french people I´ve started to
                              get people not believing I´m a 100% Barcelonian, and they can´t guess
                              anymore that I learnt french in Belgium and Switzerland. And Spanish, I am
                              told I do have the Catalan accent (Catalan is the region where Barcelona is
                              and also the language talked in that region and some others) and in Cataln
                              I´m told I have the Barcelona accent... But in the end... I can´t know, I
                              can´t hear accents. Even in english it´s starting to be difficult to know
                              when someone is from the USA, England, Scotland, Ireland... I think one
                              loses the ability to hear the accents when they start to hear many of them.
                              Only accent I can hear is when it´s between Spanish (err... Spaniards) and
                              SouthAmericans (and I can´t hear the difference between the diferent
                              SouthAmerican countries anymore).

                              Minako.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                                Eep! Sorry, I didn't mean EVERYONE. That's being stereotypical of me,
                                sorry! The only people I've met that speak like that *are* from the valley,
                                though. We don't get much like that here in Minnesota in the first place.
                                *sweatdrop* People talk like that and people stare at them funny till they
                                shrivel. u.u; (Another reason I say "dude" a lot.) Anyway, I'm REALLY
                                sorry that offended you! u.u;
                                Liz

                                >From: Jessica Fisher <jfisher@...>
                                >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [Flewelling] OT: Not an IQ test
                                >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:30:04 -0800
                                >
                                >On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:06:43 -0600
                                >"Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
                                > >
                                > > *feels moderately offended* They, like, only talk like that in, like,
                                >Cali,
                                > > in, like, the valley areas. xD
                                >
                                >And they, like, only call California "Cali" if they're not from California
                                >(I
                                >have yet to figure this one out) . . . Seriously though, I'm from the
                                >Valley
                                >(as in "the" Valley in Los Angeles), and I can guarantee you that the
                                >person
                                >I've heard with the worst habit of that sort of speech was not even from
                                >California. Add to that a lot of people who live in the Valley don't talk
                                >that
                                >way either.
                                >
                                >Sorry for being defensive, but I don't really like being characterized as
                                >ditzy
                                >just because of where I live!
                                >
                                >Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many people on this list
                                >speak
                                >in a dialect? Brooklyn, Texas, Wisconsin, and all dialects in the US and
                                >other
                                >countries (I'm not as familiar with them) count.
                                >
                                >~Jess

                              • Ann Lowe
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                                  Meep. Bad "send" button. . .I speak in a Minnesotan dialect. You'd have to
                                  hear it, then you'd recognize it. *laughs* We end sentences in
                                  prepositions. *nods* Casey likes to harp about it. It's funny. Ex.

                                  "Hey, you wanna go with?" -- me to Casey
                                  "With who? You? Or Angie? Or Jeff?" -- Casey in reply
                                  ". . .Jeff'd like that." -- u.u; I'm mean. *cringe* But Casey and Angie
                                  laughed. . .so'd Jeff for that matter.

                                  Liz. . .again

                                  >From: Jessica Fisher <jfisher@...>
                                  >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [Flewelling] OT: Not an IQ test
                                  >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:30:04 -0800
                                  >
                                  >On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:06:43 -0600
                                  >"Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?
                                  > >
                                  > > *feels moderately offended* They, like, only talk like that in, like,
                                  >Cali,
                                  > > in, like, the valley areas. xD
                                  >
                                  >And they, like, only call California "Cali" if they're not from California
                                  >(I
                                  >have yet to figure this one out) . . . Seriously though, I'm from the
                                  >Valley
                                  >(as in "the" Valley in Los Angeles), and I can guarantee you that the
                                  >person
                                  >I've heard with the worst habit of that sort of speech was not even from
                                  >California. Add to that a lot of people who live in the Valley don't talk
                                  >that
                                  >way either.
                                  >
                                  >Sorry for being defensive, but I don't really like being characterized as
                                  >ditzy
                                  >just because of where I live!
                                  >
                                  >Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many people on this list
                                  >speak
                                  >in a dialect? Brooklyn, Texas, Wisconsin, and all dialects in the US and
                                  >other
                                  >countries (I'm not as familiar with them) count.
                                  >
                                  >~Jess

                                  http://wine.msn.com/
                                • Andrea Chavez
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                                    I don't think I have much of an accent. If I TRY,
                                    REALLY hard, I can talk in a North Idaho accent, but
                                    that is usually just poor grammar and not so much the
                                    voice inflection. (sigh) Things like "I seen her at
                                    the store" and such. (shudder!) And the state of
                                    Washington does NOT have an R in it
                                    (Warshington....shudder again)

                                    Mom was an English teacher and Dad was a Theatre
                                    Professor. "I SEEN her..." would have been humiliated
                                    out of us at an early age.

                                    When I travel, people think we are from Western
                                    Canada, because we don't sound Eastern or Southern,
                                    etc....Howevet, next to a Canadian (my minister for
                                    example) I don't have a canadian accent
                                    either....just, American English!

                                    Andrea

                                    =====

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 19, 2004
                                      I'm from Australia, although I don't talk anything like Steve Irwin. I guess I have an accent though.

                                      Jennifer <faris08@...> wrote:I'm in Michigan, and when I've gone out of state, I've been told I

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 22, 2004
                                        yeah it's kind of a sad connection between education
                                        and losing your accent/dialect.

                                        I of course don't have an accent...accent..dunno that's
                                        not the german thingie ;-)
                                        We do have dialects..and i should have a broad bavarian dialect...living directly in the mountains, yet there's nothing... Well some words and some ways to pronounce, and some different grammar, but nothing u would call a dialect nor an accent. think's sad.

                                        i luv accents...If some1 has an accent....awwwww :DDD
                                        it's like giving your talking identity...
                                        the melody of my gibberish is just flat...sux in a way, of course it has the advantage of everyone understanding u and such ;-)

                                        noerml