A formal apology (I feel like an idiot).

  • Jason Hill
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      You ever write something that seems sensible and intelligent at the time, but
      later you realize that you came off like a jerk?

      That happened to me just now, and I feel I owe Mrs Flewelling an apology. You
      see, I had just written a review for "The Everything Guide to Total Fitness"
      on Amazon.com and decided to check my previously written reviews. Then I
      remembered the review I wrote for "Hidden Warrior" which wasn't as glowing as
      the one I wrote for "The Bone Doll's Twin" and the Nightrunner trilogy. In
      retrospect, I regret ever writing that review and I'm glad that Amazon
      apparently decided to delete it. I thought the comparison I made between Lynn
      Flewelling and Anne Bishop was logical, but I realize I was just being a total
      jerk. While I still stand by my opinion, I should have thought before I typed.

      Cheers,
      Jason
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        Accepted. (Goodness, what have I missed?)

        Of course I had to go peek. Whatever you wrote, it had to be better than the
        guy from Texas a while back who accused me of plagarism (Amazon cut that
        paragraph after my publisher raised holy hell) or a certain more recent one
        which begins with the person saying they got the book *free* at a convention
        and got confused because the publisher didn't say it was a sequel (*note: not
        my fault! I begged! Blame marketing) and then realized it was a sequel and
        then didn't like the reader reviews about BDT (which ones? They were mostly
        wonderful!) so they won't be reading that, thank you very much, and so they
        only read six chapters of HW before discarding it and . . . . .and . . . .

        Uh, you lost me at "I got the book for free." So you came screaming over to
        Amazon . . . . why?

        This same luminary gave even less stars to books by Charles De Lint and the
        Dali Lama, but five stars to an sf writer who's a friend of theirs. *sigh*

        Sorry, just had to vent. >;-/ I'm OK now. Sheesh!

        This is why I don't spend a lot of time reading reviews. Not that I don't
        genuinely appreciate the positive ones. They are very helpful and
        encouraging. A bad review, esp. an off-the-wall one on the wrong day can
        really mess up one's chi.

        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Hill" <Caion@P...> wrote:
        > You ever write something that seems sensible and intelligent at the time, but
        > later you realize that you came off like a jerk?
        >
        > That happened to me just now, and I feel I owe Mrs Flewelling an apology.
        You
        > see, I had just written a review for "The Everything Guide to Total Fitness"
        > on Amazon.com and decided to check my previously written reviews. Then I
        > remembered the review I wrote for "Hidden Warrior" which wasn't as
        glowing as
        > the one I wrote for "The Bone Doll's Twin" and the Nightrunner trilogy. In
        > retrospect, I regret ever writing that review and I'm glad that Amazon
        > apparently decided to delete it. I thought the comparison I made between
        Lynn
        > Flewelling and Anne Bishop was logical, but I realize I was just being a total
        > jerk. While I still stand by my opinion, I should have thought before I typed.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jason
      • jjarbanas
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn_flewelling"
          <otterdance2@a...> wrote:

          > This same luminary gave even less stars to books by Charles De Lint
          > and the Dali Lama, but five stars to an sf writer who's a friend of
          > theirs. *sigh*

          Ah, that's what I love, real objectivity. Feh!

          > This is why I don't spend a lot of time reading reviews. Not
          > that I don't genuinely appreciate the positive ones. They are very
          > helpful and encouraging. A bad review, esp. an off-the-wall one on
          > the wrong day can really mess up one's chi.

          I think you're wise not to open yourself to all those petty people
          with their petty agendas. I've heard many, many examples of that sort
          of thing lately, and it's disheartening for me, so I can only imagine
          what it must be for the folks who slaved to produce the work.

          Reviewing or critiquing used to be something of an art, but that
          really seems to have changed drastically. Aside from the fact that,
          these days, any moron with a computer and can declare themselves
          a "writer", "critic", or whatever else they fancy, those folks who
          actually get paid to express their opinions often leave me wishing I
          had them close at hand... and something very heavy and blunt in the
          other. ;) I mean, honestly, I've seen reviews where the details were
          completely wrong, and the person failed to understand any of the
          subtleties that were designed to let you stretch your mind and think
          independently. It's just... <sigh>

          Jill
        • Jason Hill
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            Yikes! I'm happy to say that what I wrote wasn't anything near as bad as what
            you described. Basically, I made a comparison between your writing style and
            that of Anne Bishop's. However, I worded it in a way that made it sound like
            Bishop was standing behind your desk and cracking a whip as you typed or
            something.

            Cheers,
            Jason

            .

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Hill" <Caion@P...> wrote:
              > Yikes! I'm happy to say that what I wrote wasn't anything near as bad as what
              > you described. Basically, I made a comparison between your writing style and
              > that of Anne Bishop's. However, I worded it in a way that made it sound like
              > Bishop was standing behind your desk and cracking a whip as you typed or
              > something.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jason

              LOL! I can assure you that though I am friends with Anne, we are not much of an
              influence on each other, as we don't ever see each other's work in progress.
            • CHAS DETMER
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2003
                I'm from Texas but I gave you a great review once for Luck of the Shadows it was fun to do the review. My dad helped me write it so I wouldn't sound stupid to everyone on line. Maybe mine makes up for that dumb guy from Texas that did that bad review. I never understood reviews that were bad. I figure if you didn't like it don't review it. But I guess their is a need for good and bad ones.

                lynn_flewelling <otterdance2@...> wrote:Accepted. (Goodness, what have I missed?)

                Of course I had to go peek. Whatever you wrote, it had to be better than the
                guy from Texas a while back who accused me of plagarism (Amazon cut that
                paragraph after my publisher raised holy hell) or a certain more recent one
                which begins with the person saying they got the book *free* at a convention
                and got confused because the publisher didn't say it was a sequel (*note: not
                my fault! I begged! Blame marketing) and then realized it was a sequel and
                then didn't like the reader reviews about BDT (which ones? They were mostly
                wonderful!) so they won't be reading that, thank you very much, and so they
                only read six chapters of HW before discarding it and . . . . .and . . . .

                Uh, you lost me at "I got the book for free." So you came screaming over to
                Amazon . . . . why?

                This same luminary gave even less stars to books by Charles De Lint and the
                Dali Lama, but five stars to an sf writer who's a friend of theirs. *sigh*

                Sorry, just had to vent. >;-/ I'm OK now. Sheesh!

                This is why I don't spend a lot of time reading reviews. Not that I don't
                genuinely appreciate the positive ones. They are very helpful and
                encouraging. A bad review, esp. an off-the-wall one on the wrong day can
                really mess up one's chi.

                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Hill" <Caion@P...> wrote:
                > You ever write something that seems sensible and intelligent at the time, but
                > later you realize that you came off like a jerk?
                >
                > That happened to me just now, and I feel I owe Mrs Flewelling an apology.
                You
                > see, I had just written a review for "The Everything Guide to Total Fitness"
                > on Amazon.com and decided to check my previously written reviews. Then I
                > remembered the review I wrote for "Hidden Warrior" which wasn't as
                glowing as
                > the one I wrote for "The Bone Doll's Twin" and the Nightrunner trilogy. In
                > retrospect, I regret ever writing that review and I'm glad that Amazon
                > apparently decided to delete it. I thought the comparison I made between
                Lynn
                > Flewelling and Anne Bishop was logical, but I realize I was just being a total
                > jerk. While I still stand by my opinion, I should have thought before I typed.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Jason

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
                Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.