[Flewelling] Strange Question. . .

  • Ann Lowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hey, I have a weird pronunciation question from "Traitor's Moon".

      See, I lent my book to my friend, Angie, and we've both decided Nyal's cool
      (she's not done with the book yet. . .but almost). But we have one minor
      issue. . .how in the name of Hades do you *pronounce* that name? We've got
      "nee-y'all" and "nile" (the second one is like the River Nile or the NAME
      Nile). Pronunciation isn't usually a problem. . .but we were both caught
      laughing out loud at the lunchroom table. . .and in doing so forced to read
      aloud our scene (to a table with two homophobes, might I add). This is
      problems when we go (making up a line): "And Nyal, er "nee-y'all", er,
      "Nye-all", er. . .whatever-the-terd-his-name-is. . ."

      And that (^) is why my parents don't let me have pop after six o'clock PM.
      ADD and pop don't mix very well. u.u;;

      Liz

      Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping! No crowds, free
      parking. http://shopping.msn.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        The "y" is pronounced like a long i-- "eye" The a is short, so it's Ni-AL, with
        the emphasis on the second syllable.

        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@h...>

        _____
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
          Thank you!

          >From: "lynn_flewelling" <otterdance2@...>
          >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Flewelling] Re: Strange Question. . .
          >Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:09:35 -0000
          >
          >The "y" is pronounced like a long i-- "eye" The a is short, so it's
          >Ni-AL, with
          >the emphasis on the second syllable.
          >
          >--- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Ann Lowe" <ann_is_psycho@h...>
          >wrote:
          > > Hey, I have a weird pronunciation question from "Traitor's Moon".
          > >
          > > See, I lent my book to my friend, Angie, and we've both decided Nyal's
          >cool
          > > (she's not done with the book yet. . .but almost). But we have one
          >minor
          > > issue. . .how in the name of Hades do you *pronounce* that name? We've
          >got
          > > "nee-y'all" and "nile" (the second one is like the River Nile or the
          >NAME
          > > Nile). Pronunciation isn't usually a problem. . .but we were both
          >caught
          > > laughing out loud at the lunchroom table. . .and in doing so forced to
          >read
          > > aloud our scene (to a table with two homophobes, might I add). This is
          > > problems when we go (making up a line): "And Nyal, er "nee-y'all", er,
          > > "Nye-all", er. . .whatever-the-terd-his-name-is. . ."
          > >
          > > And that (^) is why my parents don't let me have pop after six o'clock
          >PM.
          > > ADD and pop don't mix very well. u.u;;
          > >
          > > Liz

          >_____
          > > Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping! No crowds,
          >free
          > > parking. http://shopping.msn.com

          Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
          good bets! http://shopping.msn.com