Alternative Sexuality in SF/Fantasy article

  • Wendy Darling
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi,

      I'm a member of this group and fan of Lynn's and wanted to pop in my
      head and say I've just had an article published where I
      mention/promote Nightrunner.

      Exploring Alternatives: Alternative Sexuality in Science Fiction and
      Fantasy
      http://www.scifidimensions.com/Oct03/alternatives.htm

      The article is a short overview with examples of various novels and
      anthologies. Enjoy and feel free to link to it the article if you
      like.

      Also, any fans of Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series, note there's
      another new book coming out (see my bio).

      Wendy
    • Lynn Flewelling
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
        Wonderful article, Wendy! Thanks for the great comments. I'm honored
        and will pass this on to my editor and agent. :-)

        Lynn

        On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 10:41 AM, Wendy Darling wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm a member of this group and fan of Lynn's and wanted to pop in my
        > head and say I've just had an article published where I
        > mention/promote Nightrunner.
        >
        > Exploring Alternatives: Alternative Sexuality in Science Fiction and
        > Fantasy
        > http://www.scifidimensions.com/Oct03/alternatives.htm
        >
        > The article is a short overview with examples of various novels and
        > anthologies. Enjoy and feel free to link to it the article if you
        > like.
        >
        > Also, any fans of Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series, note there's
        > another new book coming out (see my bio).
        >
        > Wendy

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/EtIolB/TM
        > ~->
        >
        > The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at
        > Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
        > Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Andrea Chavez
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
          Wendy
          Great article! Well done. (good reference too....some
          of those stories sound really interesting!)

          andrea
          --- Wendy Darling <wdarling@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm a member of this group and fan of Lynn's and
          > wanted to pop in my
          > head and say I've just had an article published
          > where I
          > mention/promote Nightrunner.
          >
          > Exploring Alternatives: Alternative Sexuality in
          > Science Fiction and
          > Fantasy

          http://www.scifidimensions.com/Oct03/alternatives.htm

          > The article is a short overview with examples of
          > various novels and
          > anthologies. Enjoy and feel free to link to it the
          > article if you
          > like.
          >
          > Also, any fans of Storm Constantine's Wraeththu
          > series, note there's
          > another new book coming out (see my bio).
          >
          > Wendy

          =====
          Andrea C

          "I always pass on good advice,
          It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Richard Jasper
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
            Nice article, Wendy. I especially appreciated the link to the bibliography;
            I don't know Mary Anne but she's done a great job of pulling it together.
            You mentioned that you hadn't encountered that much SF with positive
            portrayals of alternative sexuality. There are several authors on Mary
            Anne's bibliography that are well worth checking out, including:

            Maureen McHugh
            -- China Mountain Zhang
            -- Mission Child

            Melissa Scott
            -- Dreaming Metal

            S.M. Stirling
            -- Island in the Sea of Time (and sequels)

            And Mary Anne's editorial comment notwithstanding, "Chrome" by George Nader
            was probably the first homoerotic space opera. A must read for gay guys.

            Best regards...

            Richard Jasper
            Oak Park, MI

            http://www.domani.net/richard

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
              Mary Ann's list is legend. She first contacted me while she was a
              graduate student and I was a very new author. It's a great and ever
              growing resouce, and shows how far back this all goes in the genre.

              Lynn
              On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 12:19 PM, Richard Jasper wrote:

              > And Mary Anne's editorial comment notwithstanding, "Chrome" by George
              > Nader
              > was probably the first homoerotic space opera. A must read for gay
              > guys.

              That was the first gay novel I ever read, bought of the rack in the
              local bookstore in my small town.
            • Scott Rychnovsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                Wendy,

                One of the books that could be on the SF list that i did not see was
                "I Vampire" by Jody Scott. It is peculiar but entertaining.

                Scott

                >Hi,
                >
                >I'm a member of this group and fan of Lynn's and wanted to pop in my
                >head and say I've just had an article published where I
                >mention/promote Nightrunner.
                >
                >Exploring Alternatives: Alternative Sexuality in Science Fiction and
                >Fantasy
                >http://www.scifidimensions.com/Oct03/alternatives.htm
                >
                >The article is a short overview with examples of various novels and
                >anthologies. Enjoy and feel free to link to it the article if you
                >like.
                >
                >Also, any fans of Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series, note there's
                >another new book coming out (see my bio).
                >
                >Wendy

                Scott Rychnovsky
                srychnov@...
              • Wendy Darling
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                  The Bending the Landscape series is very impressive. I actually met
                  one of the two editors, Stephen Pagel, and the selection process for
                  stories was very rigorous. Some famous names were passed over. Also,
                  a lot of writers contributed who aren't particularly known for
                  bending gender or sexuality but wrote something special. I highly
                  recommend it (um, yes, redundant, it's in that article :)

                  Wendy

                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Chavez <achavez47@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > Wendy
                  > Great article! Well done. (good reference too....some
                  > of those stories sound really interesting!)
                  >
                  > andrea
                • Wendy Darling
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Thanks, Richard!

                    As a matter of fact, a co-worker was talking to me yesterday and it
                    turns out (unbeknownst to me) he's a SF/F fan himself with a big
                    library. He got the idea that I was into books that were a bit, er,
                    twisted *g* gender and sexuality wise, and recommended all these
                    books to me. He was very positive about Melissa Card and today he
                    brought me a copy of Shadow Man, where it's a universe where humans
                    are split up into 5 genders, with the most incredible set of
                    pronouns, orientation descriptions and anatomical labels ever. I've
                    been flicking through it all day and probably would be reading it now
                    except I *just* started another book today -- Night's Master. Man,
                    that's really incredible too. I think I may have to drop it though, I
                    just have this feeling I *must* read the other. I'm about to fly to
                    England, there's room for both during the trip :)

                    Wendy

                    --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Jasper" <richard@d...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                      I'm in a group here in Atlanta called Outworlders, basicaly
                      gay/les/bi/trans SF, fantasy & horror fans, and we've got a reading
                      group going and we're certainly used this list to come up with our
                      picks. People keep saying "Oh, it's so hard to find anything to read"
                      (we're trying to stick with alt. sexuality/gender books) but I always
                      go "Bah!" and point to that list and the others I listed in the
                      article.

                      BTW, so far the group has done Sign for the Sacred (Storm
                      Constantine, Bending the Landscape: SF, Cold Heart Canyon, Luck in
                      the Shadows, China Mountain Zhang, and Vampire Vow. (I didn't read
                      CHC or CMZ, mainly because I was too busy writing my own book and/or
                      was out of town.) Next title is Mistress of Dragons and then Left
                      Hand of Darkness (which my co-worker, mentioned in a post I just
                      made, also loaned me today).

                      Wendy

                      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Lynn Flewelling
                      <lbflewelling2@a...> wrote:
                      > Mary Ann's list is legend. She first contacted me while she was a
                      > graduate student and I was a very new author. It's a great and
                      ever
                      > growing resouce, and shows how far back this all goes in the genre.
                      >
                      > Lynn
                    • Wendy Darling
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2003
                        Oops!

                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy Darling" <wdarling@a...>
                        wrote:
                        >He was very positive about Melissa Card and today he

                        Yes, I *meant* Melissa Scott. He gave me Shadow Man first but
                        indicated I would probably like a lot of others. I told him the
                        more "whacked out" probably the better, as long as it was well-
                        written.

                        Wendy
                      • Lynn Flewelling
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2003
                          On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 09:23 PM, Wendy Darling wrote:

                          > The Bending the Landscape series is very impressive. I actually met
                          > one of the two editors, Stephen Pagel, and the selection process for
                          > stories was very rigorous.

                          Steph's an incredibly nice guy, and very good at what he does. :-)