Re: New Thero art

  • jjarbanas
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 30, 2003
      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Azurite" <azurite@a...> wrote:

      > Ya! As I promised, here's another Thero pic from me, this time with
      > real work put into it ^^;

      Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

      Your rendition sort of reminds me of various actors I've imagined
      playing Thero -- Joseph Fiennes, maybe Guy Pearce, or heck, after
      seeing PotC trailers, I'm thinking Orlando Bloom would make a great
      Thero.

      Jill, wishfully thinking
    • Lynn Cheshire
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- Azurite <azurite@...> wrote:
        <<I'd be happy about some feedback of course ^^>>

        That is so lovely! What a wonderful rendition of dear
        Thero. I love the spell effect too, very nice. ^_^

        =====
        ~Lynn Cheshire
        Keeper of Pippin's Scarf
        Keeper of Merry's Post-tweenaged Angst
        Diary: http://dicebag.diaryland.com
        Personal Site: http://www.mirrorrorrim.net
        Merry/Pippin Site: http://www.shirelight.net
        LotR Femslash Site: http://dream.mirrorrorrim.net
      • Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
          Hmmm...now I'm really curious to see it, but I tried the
          links in all three messages (including your reply, Jill)
          and got "file not found on server" all three times....

          Rie

          --- jjarbanas <jjarbanas@...> wrote:
          > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Azurite"
          > <azurite@a...> wrote:
          >
          > > Ya! As I promised, here's another Thero pic from me,
          > this time with
          > > real work put into it ^^;

          > Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
          >
          > Your rendition sort of reminds me of various actors I've
          > imagined
          > playing Thero -- Joseph Fiennes, maybe Guy Pearce, or
          > heck, after
          > seeing PotC trailers, I'm thinking Orlando Bloom would
          > make a great
          > Thero.
          >
          > Jill, wishfully thinking

          =====

          Adrienne Rose (writing as Rie Sheridan)

          Newsletter: RieNews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          Come visit me at http://www.riewriter.com
          Visit Fictionwise for The Blood That Binds
          Echelon Press for the Bruce and Roxanne stories
          THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ now available from LTD Books!

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Azurite
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
            Oh, I suppose that's because I changed the picture's name afterwards.
            Anyway, I changed it back now... so it should work...

            Azurite

            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Adrienne Rose \(Rie Sheridan\)"
            <riewrites1@y...> wrote:
            > Hmmm...now I'm really curious to see it, but I tried the
            > links in all three messages (including your reply, Jill)
            > and got "file not found on server" all three times....
            >
            > Rie
          • steve hallett
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
              Well I haven't had a chance to read any of the NIGHT RUNNER books so I have no idea what this character might look like. In my opinion, though, it really is very good piece in and of its self.
              -steve

              Azurite <azurite@...> wrote:
              Ya! As I promised, here's another Thero pic from me, this time with
              real work put into it ^^;

              I could have finished it earlier, but I was busy with my final
              exams, which I have passed (yay!) and last week I was on holiday.
              Not that anyone would have missed me, though *g*

              Anyway, I'd be happy about some feedback of course ^^
              The pic is dedicated to Lynn. Hope you like it!

              Azurite

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
              Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

            • Andrea Chavez
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2003
                --- Azurite <azurite@...> wrote:
                > <<I'd be happy about some feedback of course ^^>>

                I put on my critical artistic cap and ...ummm, really,
                it is lovely! I like the composition, the character,
                the spell effect, even the beard! (I have a hard time
                getting Thero in to a beard because I'm not personally
                found of face hair....but Lynn said he is bearded
                so..on it goes!)

                It is a wonderful drawing and I'm completely jealous
                because my stick figures look a little odd.

                andrea

                =====
                Andrea C

                "I always pass on good advice,
                It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Azurite
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Thanks for your comments, everyone!!
                  @ andrea: Yeah, I'm not that fond of beards too, but I don't mind
                  with Thero somehow...

                  Azurite
                • Tanta Green
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2003
                    Wow, that's really good. As a fellow artist I can appreciate how much time and effort you must have put into that. It's probably the best picture of Thero I've seen.

                    How did you manage to get the spell effect?

                  • Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 3, 2003
                      Truly lovely. I especially admire your fabric treatment, as
                      I was never good at PEOPLE, but have painted draperies, and
                      I know how hard they are. :)

                      It is a beautiful piece, and the colors are quite striking.
                      Good show!

                      =====

                      Adrienne Rose (writing as Rie Sheridan)

                      Newsletter: RieNews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      Come visit me at http://www.riewriter.com
                      Visit Fictionwise for The Blood That Binds
                      Echelon Press for the Bruce and Roxanne stories
                      THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ now available from LTD Books!

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • leafmirror2
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 5, 2003
                        Still on vacation here in wonderful Maine, and the brain is softened
                        wonderfully. don't recall if I complemented the artist, but this is a great picture.
                        Do forward me a jpeg for the Gallery at my webpage. We need more Thero
                        art!

                        Now I go back to resting the grey matter on the deck. ;-)

                        Lynn
                      • leafmirror2
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 5, 2003
                          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "leafmirror2" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                          > Still on vacation here in wonderful Maine, and the brain is softened
                          > wonderfully. don't recall if I complemented the artist, but this is a great
                          picture.
                          > Do forward me a jpeg for the Gallery at my webpage. We need more Thero
                          > art!
                          >
                          > Now I go back to resting the grey matter on the deck. ;-)
                          >
                          > Lynn

                          PS, can anyone guess from the above mss. what I've been reading on
                          vacation? ;-)
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2003
                            In a message dated 05/07/2003 14:30:14 GMT Daylight Time, leafmirror2@...
                            writes:

                            > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "leafmirror2" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                            > >Still on vacation here in wonderful Maine, and the brain is softened
                            > >wonderfully. don't recall if I complemented the artist, but this is a great
                            >
                            > picture.
                            > >Do forward me a jpeg for the Gallery at my webpage. We need more Thero
                            > >art!
                            > >
                            > >Now I go back to resting the grey matter on the deck. ;-)
                            > >
                            > >Lynn
                            >
                            > PS, can anyone guess from the above mss. what I've been reading on
                            > vacation? ;-)

                            Errrr...

                            A rough draft of a new NR novel involving lots of Thero.... Err sorry
                            Goddess that was my wishful thinking ;-).

                            Enjoy the break it sounds lovely..

                          • Scott Rychnovsky
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2003
                              >I put on my critical artistic cap and ...ummm, really,
                              >it is lovely! I like the composition, the character,
                              >the spell effect, even the beard! (I have a hard time
                              >getting Thero in to a beard because I'm not personally
                              >found of face hair....but Lynn said he is bearded
                              >so..on it goes!)

                              Andrea,

                              Oh God, I am so devastated. I have a beard. Perhaps I will have to
                              shave it off?

                              On the other hand, I look nothing like Theo. I just don't have
                              enough body hair for the part. I never resemble the wizards in
                              fantasy books. I usually look more like the guys who take care of
                              the horses, what are they called?

                              Scott
                              Scott Rychnovsky
                              srychnov@...
                            • JediJelly@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 7, 2003
                                srychnov@... writes:

                                > Oh God, I am so devastated. I have a beard. Perhaps I will have to
                                > shave it off?

                                ^_^ I don't think it has to come to that, although Thero ends up shaving his
                                later on in the series. Beards don't bother me, so long as they're trimmed and
                                neat, and not "too much" (as though someone poured Miracle Grow on their
                                face). Johnny Depp looks nice with a goatee ... and dreadlocks ^_^; ... well, he
                                just makes a nice pirate.

                                > On the other hand, I look nothing like Theo. I just don't have
                                > enough body hair for the part. I never resemble the wizards in
                                > fantasy books. I usually look more like the guys who take care of
                                > the horses, what are they called?

                                Erm ... no idea either. Jockies? (not the shorts) ... and I think you're just
                                as likely to be a wizard as much as the next guy. I like the way Lynn
                                describes her male characters--Arkoniel is well-known for having mucho body hair ...
                                which, whether girls like it or not, is fairly natural occurance for most men.
                                My friend's fiancee has a lot of body hair. She said at first it bothered
                                her, but now she says it feels like she's hugging a big teddy bear (heh, Josh
                                would kill me if he ever found out I posted this on a public mailing list). I
                                don't care one way or another on the matter ...

                                Oh yeah, and that's a nice Thero picture too ^_^ Maybe we can talk Lynn into
                                us put together an artbook (don't take me too seriously on this tho') ...

                                ~Heidi

                                "The only reliable parts of American newspapers are horoscopes, weather
                                forecasts, and economic outlooks, which are all consistently false."

                                --Dave Barry, from Dave Barry's 'Bad Habits'

                              • Andrea Chavez
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 7, 2003

                                  > > Oh God, I am so devastated. I have a beard.
                                  > Perhaps I will have to
                                  > > shave it off?

                                  Oh dear....You KEEP that beard if it suits you. My
                                  last boyfriend (I won't even tell you how long ago
                                  THAT was) had a mustache...which I would usually not
                                  like, but he shaved it one day....damn, I couldn't
                                  WAIT for it to grow back! hahahahah

                                  Anyway....Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom look mighty
                                  fine in their little goatees......I might have to
                                  revise my thinking!

                                  I think you mean Grooms....people who take care of
                                  horses....didn't know beards were required!

                                  Andrea

                                  =====

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 9, 2003
                                    --- Andrea Chavez <achavez47@...> wrote:
                                    > Anyway....Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom look mighty
                                    > fine in their little goatees......I might have to
                                    > revise my thinking!

                                    They sure did! Yumm... Just got back from the first showing
                                    at our local theater, and it was everything I expected.
                                    Lots of fun and not much thinking necessary. :) If you love
                                    adventure for the sheer hell of it, PIRATES OF THE
                                    CARIBBEAN is a real pleasure.

                                    Rie

                                    =====

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 9, 2003

                                      > --- Andrea Chavez <achavez47@...> wrote:
                                      > > Anyway....Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom look
                                      > mighty
                                      > > fine in their little goatees......I might have to
                                      > > revise my thinking!
                                      > >
                                      > They sure did! Yumm... Just got back from the first
                                      > showing
                                      > at our local theater, and it was everything I
                                      > expected.
                                      > Lots of fun and not much thinking necessary. :) If
                                      > you love
                                      > adventure for the sheer hell of it, PIRATES OF THE
                                      > CARIBBEAN is a real pleasure.
                                      >
                                      > Rie

                                      Cool, thanks for the review Rie - -that is what I'm
                                      hoping for. I'm not looking for The Hours...just want
                                      to see some swashbuckling stereotypic FUN!

                                      AC

                                      =====

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 9, 2003
                                        You'll love it, Andrea. I can guarantee that. :)

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 9, 2003
                                          <riewrites1@y...> wrote:

                                          > You'll love it, Andrea. I can guarantee that. :)

                                          Definitely. It's a hoot. Another thumbs up here.

                                          Jill
                                        • leafmirror2
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 11, 2003
                                            Just saw Pirates of the Caribean. Three words.

                                            Go
                                            See
                                            It!!!!!!

                                            I went fully willing to check my brain at the door. Turns out, it was not
                                            necessary! The reviewers clearly have no sense of what makes for great
                                            fantasy. I thought the plot hung together admirably, and there are several
                                            rather brillliant twists! Depp certainly steals the movie, but Bloom et all are
                                            great as well, and I like Orlando MUCH better as a pirate than an elf. A young
                                            Erol Flynn, he is.

                                            This is clearly a Disney film, and fills out the usual cast of figures: handsome
                                            young hero, plucky resourceful heroine, silly father, stiff suitor, colorful
                                            asexual scalliwag, animal sidekick, menacing yet bumbling second banana
                                            henchmen, etc. But it was done very well, with a dynamite cast, and best of
                                            all---NO SAPPY LOVESONG bogging down the middle of the story. Also, no
                                            cute preternaturally smart child hero. All grownups here.

                                            The action is non stop, the effects are fantastic and clever, and the story is far
                                            less plot holed than you'd expect. The fun more than makes up for any leaps
                                            the viewer is required to make.

                                            The bottom line: if you like my books, you'll probably really enjoy this movie.