Place Names

  • Stuart Butler
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
      Qeustion for Lynn
      How did you come up with Names of the difernt Clans of the Aurenfaie?
      And also where did the names of of Skala, Plenimar, Mycena, and Aurenen come
      from?
      Did you have any other names for them before you deced on them?
      Stu

    • leafmirror2
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Butler" <Archangel2244@h...>
        wrote:
        > Qeustion for Lynn
        > How did you come up with Names of the difernt Clans of the Aurenfaie?
        > And also where did the names of of Skala, Plenimar, Mycena, and Aurenen
        come
        > from?
        > Did you have any other names for them before you deced on them?
        > Stu

        Just made 'em up, according to what sounded "right".

        _____
      • Tanta Green
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003
          heeheehee... I like your answer Lynn. It's nice to
          know that I'm not the only one that just picks names
          because they feel 'right', although I do think that
          Stu (is it alright if I call you that?) was hoping for
          something a little more meaningful. ;)

          I do have another question though. How long does it
          take you to settle on a character name. I know I
          always go through about ten or twenty (yeah, I am
          exaggerating a little bit.) before I finally settle on
          one that really suits them.

          I would also like to thank everyone for being so
          supportive about us coming out. I know some people
          have completely freaked out when I told them (my
          brother included, although he loves the fact that he
          can check out chicks with his sister now. :) )
          Has anyone else had some interesting reactions when
          they've dropped the news?

          On a very good and positive note! My university
          semester is nearly over, and the majority of my work
          has been handed in! Now I have a whole lot more time
          to waste on things like this! :D

          ---------------------------------
          wrote:
          > Qeustion for Lynn
          > How did you come up with Names of the difernt Clans
          of the Aurenfaie?
          > And also where did the names of of Skala, Plenimar,
          Mycena, and Aurenen
          come
          > from?
          > Did you have any other names for them before you
          deced on them?
          > Stu

          Just made 'em up, according to what sounded "right".

          _____
          > Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months
          FREE*.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the
          list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on
          the left.
          Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

          Lynn's official web-site -
          www.sff.net/people/Lynn.Flewelling

          URL to this page:

          Terms of Service.

        • Scott Rychnovsky
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5, 2003

            >I would also like to thank everyone for being so
            >supportive about us coming out. I know some people
            >have completely freaked out when I told them (my
            >brother included, although he loves the fact that he
            >can check out chicks with his sister now. :) )
            >Has anyone else had some interesting reactions when
            >they've dropped the news?

            Tanta,

            Do you and your brother have similar tastes in chicks?

            There was a very funny scene in 'Tales of the City" where a straight
            guy and a gay guy were going out together bar hopping. They were
            hoping to split up a couple. ;-).

            Scott
            Scott Rychnovsky
            srychnov@...
          • leafmirror2
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2003
              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Tanta Green <tanta_green@y...> wrote:
              > heeheehee... I like your answer Lynn. It's nice to
              > know that I'm not the only one that just picks names
              > because they feel 'right', although I do think that
              > Stu (is it alright if I call you that?) was hoping for
              > something a little more meaningful. ;)

              LOL! I know. People want writers to be a lot more crafty and deliberate than
              most of us are.

              > I do have another question though. How long does it
              > take you to settle on a character name. I know I
              > always go through about ten or twenty (yeah, I am
              > exaggerating a little bit.) before I finally settle on
              > one that really suits them.

              It usually comes of staring into space a lot, then trying out different names on
              screen to see how they look. I've also learned to try them outloud. In just
              about every interview I've ever given, I've told how I couldn't come up with a
              name for Alec when I was starting on Luck in the Shadows, so I borrowed my
              cat's name (who happened to be sitting on my desk at that moment. The cat,
              btw, was named for Sir Alec Guiness, because there was an AG film festival
              on tv the day we brought the kitten home.) The name "Micum" is actually the
              name of one of my husband's ancestors, Micum McIntyre. The names from
              Mycena and Alec's neck of the woods are more English, while the exotic
              names I made up for other countries are meant to be similar enough that you
              can tell where someone is from by their name, as you can in the real world.
              Some of them, howver, like "Nysander" have turned out to be real names in
              other parts of the world, much to my surprise!

              > I would also like to thank everyone for being so
              > supportive about us coming out.

              :-)
            • JediJelly@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2003
                I started carrying a notepad with me now, everywhere I go, and just randomly wright down names I find interesting. Not exotic, just different. Actually, there was the name of a fish on this show I watched on the Discovery Channel, about animals in a future Earth (that show was awesome--if you get Discovery, check listings for it). The creature was called a "Lurkfish" ... I thought the name was interesting--not unusual, but kind of catchy. I roleplay a lot of ElfQuest, I'm thinking of using Lurkfish as the name of a side-character for a story. I like coming up with names, but hard to figure out sometimes which ones are actually good, versus ones I just happen to like (I have a poor sense of taste it seems, sometimes -_-)

                ~heidi
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2003
                  From: <JediJelly@...>
                  > I roleplay a lot of ElfQuest, I'm thinking of using Lurkfish as the name
                  of a side-character for a story.
                  > ~heidi

                  Oh, a fellow EQ fan ;-)
                  Great to know, there are more of us.

                  shade and sweet water,

                  Tawariel
                  (among German EQ fans also known as Skyfire from the Stormwolves)
                • Tanta Green

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
                      Tanta,

                      Thanks for the response. After a quick check on the web, I would
                      have to agree Angelina Jolie is nice. Ok, she is more than nice.
                      What's not to like?

                      I guess my question might be more general (and I don't know if you
                      would have an opinion.) When men and women look at an individual to
                      evaluate his/her cuteness quotient (CQ) is the sex of the observer
                      important? Does Pamela Anderson, to take an extreme example, get
                      higher CQ rating from men or women? What about Leonardo Dicaprio?
                      Or perhaps we should take it cross-species and put out a survey about
                      Legolas?

                      Oh well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2003
                        Well, to be quite honest with you, I'm not sure
                        whether bis would be able to amply answer your
                        question. I know that the other night I asked my
                        brother whether a guy was cute or not, and the only
                        way he could answer me was "i think you wouldn't think
                        he was cute".
                        I don't know. You'd probably have to ask someone that
                        was straight, but I think that it might depend on the
                        sex.
                        i'm going to use Legolas as an example. While you and
                        I might think Legolas is absolutely gorgeous, if i
                        asked my brother he would say that he cannot see the
                        attraction.

                        However, if you are asking whether a gay guy and a
                        straight girl might find the same person attractive,
                        well...
                        I guess it really depends.
                        Many guys find some women attractive, when I think
                        that they're terrible, but I think that's because I
                        have a different perspective. I know when they look
                        fake (the Pamela Anderson look; personally I do not
                        see why men are attracted to that barbie-doll) I can
                        see things that men do not, such as how much make-up
                        she's put on to look that way, and how her boobs could
                        never look like that without a plastic surgery job or
                        two.

                        I guess you're right though. It really does depend on
                        personal taste.

                        -Tanta :)