Re: Book recommendation on outlawed characters?

  • whetner
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2003
      I have a thing for the "bad guys" too. lol

      Recommended: Robin Hobb's Assassin series (Assassin's Apprentice is
      book #1), Villains Victorious Edited by Martin Greenberg, Tanya
      Huff's The Fire's Stone (reprinted in Of Darkness, Light and Fire)...

      There's also a major character in Raymond Feist's Magician books that
      is a reformed thief, but he doesn't show up until later in the series
      (Silverthorn, I think?).

      If I think of more I'll post 'em.
      -Sherene

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Schuldich"
      <Ken_Masters_Shadow@h...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have good recommendations for fantasy novels that
      focuses
      > on the shady characters? Streetwise thieves, remorseless assassins,
      > or even the cunning spy... I don't know about other people, but
      these
      > characters that often go through moral battles with oneself, or has
      > the whole story focus on how they redeem themselves often captures
      my
      > attention, moreso than the typical warrior within fantasy plots.
    • Schuldich
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2003
        Ohh! Yes! The Farseers trilogy! I'm waiting for its sequal at the
        moment. The Tamir trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy are the two
        series that I'm really waiting for.

        And ah, thieves world... I think I've heard of those. They are pocket
        sized books, are they not? I saw them once in a used bookstore, I
        believe. I might have some problem finding those, are they really old?

        As for anthologies, I have 'Assassins Fantastic' and 'Treachery and
        Treason'. I wonder if there's a Thieves Fantastic somewhere... I
        mean, there's a warriors one, a wizards one... why not a thieves one?

        Finally, has anyone read 'Heroes Die' by Matthew Woodring Stover? Any
        comments on that?

        Oh, before I forget... does anyone know of any Forgotten Realms and
        Dragonlance books that runs along the shady character path? I've
        never really touched those books since I don't know where should I
        start. There's so many of them!

        ~Seph
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2003
          > And ah, thieves world... I think I've heard of those. They are pocket
          > sized books, are they not? I saw them once in a used bookstore, I
          > believe. I might have some problem finding those, are they really old?

          The release date for those book lies in the early 80th. As far as I see, you
          can get them only second hand by now.
          Well, at least in Germany...

          > As for anthologies, I have 'Assassins Fantastic' and 'Treachery and
          > Treason'. I wonder if there's a Thieves Fantastic somewhere... I
          > mean, there's a warriors one, a wizards one... why not a thieves one?
          >
          > Oh, before I forget... does anyone know of any Forgotten Realms and
          > Dragonlance books that runs along the shady character path?

          For Anthologies, Forgotten Realms and shady characters, try Realms of
          Infamy. It's short stories of famous villains in the Forgotten Realms. And
          you can get a look at what characters (and authors) might interest you
          further.
          The Realms of -series has more, Realms of Magic, Realms of Valor and more.
          Each about a certain theme.

          cu,

          Tawariel

          * * * * *
          Join a proud minority - read books !

          Yes, I'm a freak. And proud of it.

          * * * * *
        • Scott Rychnovsky
          Message 4 of 10 , May 7, 2003
            Seph,

            I cannot let this topic go by without recommending "Villains by
            Necessity," a first novel by Eva Forward. It is a fun read after you
            have slogged through too many heroic quests where a small band of
            heros overcome incredible odds to triumph over evil. In fact, this
            book begins a dozen years after one such successful quest. In this
            case a few bad guys and girls have a quest to bring evil back into
            the world. The book isn't high art but it is entertaining.

            Scott

            >Does anyone have good recommendations for fantasy novels that focuses
            >on the shady characters? Streetwise thieves, remorseless assassins,
            >or even the cunning spy... I don't know about other people, but these
            >characters that often go through moral battles with oneself, or has
            >the whole story focus on how they redeem themselves often captures my
            >attention, moreso than the typical warrior within fantasy plots.
            >
            >Mickey Zuccker Reichert's "The Legend of Nightfall" was a favorite of
            >mine, and I just recently finished David Gemmel's "Hero in the
            >Shadows" that left me thirsting for more plots along the line of
            >assassins redeeming themselves.
            >
            >So... does anyone have recommendations?
            >
            >*A lurker come forth,*
            >~Seph

            Scott Rychnovsky
            srychnov@...
          • Scott Rychnovsky
            Message 5 of 10 , May 7, 2003
              Seph,

              Let me add another suggestion. Freidman's Coldfire trilogy has a
              truly evil character who work with the other characters for his own
              self-interest. It is worth looking into. " Black Sun Rising" is the
              first book.

              Scott
              Scott Rychnovsky
              srychnov@...
              ATM Page: http://tlepage.home.mindspring.com/
            • whetner
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2003
                By coincidence, I was going through some of my old books a couple of
                weeks ago, and that was one of them! :)
                -Sherene

                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rychnovsky <srychnov@c...>
                wrote:
                > Seph,
                >
                > I cannot let this topic go by without recommending "Villains by
                > Necessity," a first novel by Eva Forward. It is a fun read after
                you
                > have slogged through too many heroic quests where a small band of
                > heros overcome incredible odds to triumph over evil. In fact, this
                > book begins a dozen years after one such successful quest. In this
                > case a few bad guys and girls have a quest to bring evil back into
                > the world. The book isn't high art but it is entertaining.
                >
                > Scott
              • Schuldich
                Message 7 of 10 , May 9, 2003
                  Thanks everyone! And is it even possible to find Villains by
                  Necessity anymore? I checked on Amazon.com and it would seem that
                  it's out of print and it's sold out.

                  ~Seph
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 9, 2003
                    From: Schuldich <Ken_Masters_Shadow@...>

                    > Thanks everyone! And is it even possible to find Villains by
                    > Necessity anymore? I checked on Amazon.com and it would seem that
                    > it's out of print and it's sold out.
                    >
                    > ~Seph

                    Try www.abebooks.com , you can find second hand books from all over the
                    world there.