Re: Book recommendation on outlawed characters?

  • Brett N. Meroney
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2003
      Here's my 2cents...

      Just recently, Lynn Abbey has delved back in to the Thieve's World
      saga. Quite successfully, I might add. Any who are unfamiliar with
      this anthology project - it was started around 25 years ago (?) by
      Robert Asprin. The pretext was the setting of a dirty seaside town
      on the edge of two empires called Sanctuary. In each novel/edition,
      Robert or sometimes Lynn would set the stage with a short story which
      pulled together story threads from the previous edition and signalled
      a theme for the current book. The middle chapters would be filled
      with short stories by various successful fantasy authors picking up
      on the theme and carrying it wherever the wind took them. At the end
      of each book, there would be another short story by Robert and/or
      Lynn to pull things together again. The most amazing thing about
      this experiment were the wild and amazing characters that threaded
      through the stories. Minor characters from one author would be
      picked up by another and revealed as colorful and striking persons in
      their own right. These stories are fraught with fallen heros, and
      heroic villains. Nothing is ever quite as it seems and the personal
      struggles and character development are amazing to witness.

      Over the years, there have been around 12-13 Thieve's World
      anthologies and about 5 independent novels, but towards the end of
      the series, things started to get a bit frazzled and lost. About ten
      years ago, it all ended and Lynn Abbey reported that she would write
      another Thieve's World story 'when pigs fly'.

      As it happened, not long ago, she got a call from a cousin (?) from
      Oklahoma City who mentioned she'd seen a pig flying through the air
      in their big Tornado event a couple years ago. Taking it as a
      sign :), and after some consultations, she decided it was time again
      to take up the banner. Realizing that many of the old characters had
      been stretched and studied to their respective limits, she set the
      stage some 20-30 years later - clearing the slate so to speak. The
      novel she wrote to initiate the cycle again is a great piece of work -
      titled simply "Sanctuary." It serves as something of a bridge
      between the past and future - introducing new readers to Thieves
      World and giving a taste of the old history to the previous fans.

      In the story the old patriarch of Sanctuary, the aging priest Molin
      Torchholder, finds himself beset by old foes and searches for an heir
      to take his place - someone to watch over the intrigues and keep the
      forces of chaos at bay (I wanted to keep it general to preserve the
      story). He finds a young discordant stonemason, who while tortured
      by a turbulant past has a grain of nobility deep inside. Sanctuary
      is the story of the stonemason's coming of age, as he learns about
      the deep history of his town and what it means for his own future and
      of those he loves. It's a great read and like Lynn's stories,
      follows a plot line that is radically divergent from traditional epic
      fantasy. It's about the characters coming to terms with the world
      around them.

      What's more, Lynn Abbey has recently released the first anthology of
      the new series that takes place directly after "Sanctuary", with
      promises of more to come.

      Ain't it all great?!! :)

      -Brett

      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Schuldich"
      <Ken_Masters_Shadow@h...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have good recommendations for fantasy novels that
      focuses
      > on the shady characters? Streetwise thieves, remorseless assassins,
      > or even the cunning spy... I don't know about other people, but
      these
      > characters that often go through moral battles with oneself, or has
      > the whole story focus on how they redeem themselves often captures
      my
      > attention, moreso than the typical warrior within fantasy plots.
      >
      > Mickey Zuccker Reichert's "The Legend of Nightfall" was a favorite
      of
      > mine, and I just recently finished David Gemmel's "Hero in the
      > Shadows" that left me thirsting for more plots along the line of
      > assassins redeeming themselves.
      >
      > So... does anyone have recommendations?
      >
      > *A lurker come forth,*
      > ~Seph
    • whetner
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2003
        I have a thing for the "bad guys" too. lol

        Recommended: Robin Hobb's Assassin series (Assassin's Apprentice is
        book #1), Villains Victorious Edited by Martin Greenberg, Tanya
        Huff's The Fire's Stone (reprinted in Of Darkness, Light and Fire)...

        There's also a major character in Raymond Feist's Magician books that
        is a reformed thief, but he doesn't show up until later in the series
        (Silverthorn, I think?).

        If I think of more I'll post 'em.
        -Sherene

        <Ken_Masters_Shadow@h...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have good recommendations for fantasy novels that
        focuses
        > on the shady characters? Streetwise thieves, remorseless assassins,
        > or even the cunning spy... I don't know about other people, but
        these
        > characters that often go through moral battles with oneself, or has
        > the whole story focus on how they redeem themselves often captures
        my
        > attention, moreso than the typical warrior within fantasy plots.
      • Schuldich
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2003
          Ohh! Yes! The Farseers trilogy! I'm waiting for its sequal at the
          moment. The Tamir trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy are the two
          series that I'm really waiting for.

          And ah, thieves world... I think I've heard of those. They are pocket
          sized books, are they not? I saw them once in a used bookstore, I
          believe. I might have some problem finding those, are they really old?

          As for anthologies, I have 'Assassins Fantastic' and 'Treachery and
          Treason'. I wonder if there's a Thieves Fantastic somewhere... I
          mean, there's a warriors one, a wizards one... why not a thieves one?

          Finally, has anyone read 'Heroes Die' by Matthew Woodring Stover? Any
          comments on that?

          Oh, before I forget... does anyone know of any Forgotten Realms and
          Dragonlance books that runs along the shady character path? I've
          never really touched those books since I don't know where should I
          start. There's so many of them!

          ~Seph
          Message 4 of 10 , May 7, 2003
            > And ah, thieves world... I think I've heard of those. They are pocket
            > sized books, are they not? I saw them once in a used bookstore, I
            > believe. I might have some problem finding those, are they really old?

            The release date for those book lies in the early 80th. As far as I see, you
            can get them only second hand by now.
            Well, at least in Germany...

            > As for anthologies, I have 'Assassins Fantastic' and 'Treachery and
            > Treason'. I wonder if there's a Thieves Fantastic somewhere... I
            > mean, there's a warriors one, a wizards one... why not a thieves one?
            >
            > Oh, before I forget... does anyone know of any Forgotten Realms and
            > Dragonlance books that runs along the shady character path?

            For Anthologies, Forgotten Realms and shady characters, try Realms of
            Infamy. It's short stories of famous villains in the Forgotten Realms. And
            you can get a look at what characters (and authors) might interest you
            further.
            The Realms of -series has more, Realms of Magic, Realms of Valor and more.
            Each about a certain theme.

            cu,

            Tawariel

            * * * * *
            Join a proud minority - read books !

            Yes, I'm a freak. And proud of it.

            * * * * *
          • Scott Rychnovsky
            Message 5 of 10 , May 7, 2003
              Seph,

              I cannot let this topic go by without recommending "Villains by
              Necessity," a first novel by Eva Forward. It is a fun read after you
              have slogged through too many heroic quests where a small band of
              heros overcome incredible odds to triumph over evil. In fact, this
              book begins a dozen years after one such successful quest. In this
              case a few bad guys and girls have a quest to bring evil back into
              the world. The book isn't high art but it is entertaining.

              Scott

              >Does anyone have good recommendations for fantasy novels that focuses
              >on the shady characters? Streetwise thieves, remorseless assassins,
              >or even the cunning spy... I don't know about other people, but these
              >characters that often go through moral battles with oneself, or has
              >the whole story focus on how they redeem themselves often captures my
              >attention, moreso than the typical warrior within fantasy plots.
              >
              >Mickey Zuccker Reichert's "The Legend of Nightfall" was a favorite of
              >mine, and I just recently finished David Gemmel's "Hero in the
              >Shadows" that left me thirsting for more plots along the line of
              >assassins redeeming themselves.
              >
              >So... does anyone have recommendations?
              >
              >*A lurker come forth,*
              >~Seph

              Scott Rychnovsky
              srychnov@...
            • Scott Rychnovsky
              Message 6 of 10 , May 7, 2003
                Seph,

                Let me add another suggestion. Freidman's Coldfire trilogy has a
                truly evil character who work with the other characters for his own
                self-interest. It is worth looking into. " Black Sun Rising" is the
                first book.

                Scott
                Scott Rychnovsky
                srychnov@...
                ATM Page: http://tlepage.home.mindspring.com/
              • whetner
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8, 2003
                  By coincidence, I was going through some of my old books a couple of
                  weeks ago, and that was one of them! :)
                  -Sherene

                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rychnovsky <srychnov@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Seph,
                  >
                  > I cannot let this topic go by without recommending "Villains by
                  > Necessity," a first novel by Eva Forward. It is a fun read after
                  you
                  > have slogged through too many heroic quests where a small band of
                  > heros overcome incredible odds to triumph over evil. In fact, this
                  > book begins a dozen years after one such successful quest. In this
                  > case a few bad guys and girls have a quest to bring evil back into
                  > the world. The book isn't high art but it is entertaining.
                  >
                  > Scott
                • Schuldich
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 9, 2003
                    Thanks everyone! And is it even possible to find Villains by
                    Necessity anymore? I checked on Amazon.com and it would seem that
                    it's out of print and it's sold out.

                    ~Seph
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 9, 2003
                      From: Schuldich <Ken_Masters_Shadow@...>

                      > Thanks everyone! And is it even possible to find Villains by
                      > Necessity anymore? I checked on Amazon.com and it would seem that
                      > it's out of print and it's sold out.
                      >
                      > ~Seph

                      Try www.abebooks.com , you can find second hand books from all over the
                      world there.