Saddam's Love Shack

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 13, 2003
      I am not making this up. It comes from the Associated Press, via AOL Here
      are some excerpted highlights.

      From Chris Tomlinson of the AP:

      BAGHDAD, Iraq (April 12) - The doors of the town house opened to reveal
      a playboy's fantasy straight from the 1960s: mirrored bedroom, lamps shaped
      like women, airbrushed paintings of a topless blonde woman and a
      mustached
      hero battling a crocodile.
      *snip*
      The company commander suspected they had found one of the Iraqi leader's
      many safe houses.

      ``This must have been Saddam's love shack,'' said Sgt. Spencer Willardson
      of Logan, Utah.

      The split-level, one-bedroom town house is in a Baath Party enclave in an
      upscale neighborhood in central Baghdad where generals and senior party
      officials lived.

      *snip*
      Next door, where iron sheets were welded over all the windows, they found
      more than 6,000 Berretta pistols, 650 Sig Sauer pistols, 248 Colt Revolvers,
      160 Belgian 7.65 mm pistols, 12 cases of Sterling submachine guns and four
      cases of anti-tank missiles all still in the unopened original boxes. There
      were also tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition mortars and cases of
      old handguns and heavy machine guns.

      **must be the arsenal for guests**
      *snip*

      But this home was different: beanbag chairs, a garden of plastic plants,
      a sunken kitchen and a room for a servant, all 1960s-style.

      **I'm betting there's a fondue pot there somewhere, too.**

      The sunken wet bar was stocked with 20-year old Italian red wines and
      expensive
      cognacs, brandies and Scotch whiskeys, the same brands found in several
      presidential palaces.

      **OK, so he had good taste in something, at least*

      *snip* when it came time to eat dinner, Saddam was served his food on the
      official fine china of the Kuwaiti royal family, complete with the family
      seal and gold and maroon trim.

      *ouch*

      *snip*

      On one wall was a 16-by-20 inch plaque of the Iraqi eagle and flag seal.

      Upstairs was a television room with bright blue, pink and yellow throw pillows.
      The bathroom included a whirlpool bath. The kingsize bed was fitted into
      an alcove with mirrors on two sides and a fantasy painting on the third.

      The closets and drawers were empty except for a man's night shirt, two pairs
      of boxer shorts, two T-shirts and a bath robe - each item individually wrapped
      in plastic, just as similar items had been in the palaces.

      **Note: the eternal question, "Boxers or Briefs" answered at last. Inquiring
      minds wanted to know.**

      One of the airbrushed paintings depicted a topless blonde woman, with a
      green demon behind her, pointing a finger at a mythic hero. From the tip
      of her finger came a giant serpent, which had wrapped itself around the
      warrior.

      Another showed a buxom woman chained to a barren desert mountain ledge,
      with a huge dragon diving down to kill her with sharpened talons.

      **Omigod! He's a fantasy fan! The photo of the art they showed was very
      western. Was it by one of our own????**

      The home's 1960s look - parodied in the series of ``Austin Powers'' spy
      spoofs - inspired a round of imitations from soldiers slogging door to door.

      ``Yeah, baaabeee,'' said Carter, doing his best imitation of actor Mike
      Myers' character.

      ``Shagadelic,'' another soldier shouted.

      Indeed, the carpet was navy blue shag.
    • Scott Rychnovsky
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 13, 2003
        > I am not making this up. It comes from the Associated Press, via AOL Here
        >are some excerpted highlights.
        >

        > From Chris Tomlinson of the AP:
        >
        >BAGHDAD, Iraq (April 12) - The doors of the town house opened to reveal
        >a playboy's fantasy straight from the 1960s: mirrored bedroom, lamps shaped
        >like women, airbrushed paintings of a topless blonde woman and a
        >mustached
        >hero battling a crocodile.
        > *snip*

        Yeah, but where are the Lava Lamps? Wouldn't they have needed black
        lights to bring out the true depth of color in the artwork? I guess
        the little mirrored spinning globe wasn't popular until the '70's.

        I respect Lois Bujold for working a lava lamp into her last Miles
        book. Here is a challenge for you Lynn. Wouldn't a tasteful lava
        lamp complement the decor in one of the houses along the street of
        lights? you know, the one with the flattering black velvet painting
        of Tamir the "Queen" of Rhiminee?

        Tee hee. I bet Seregil would love it.

        Scott
        Scott Rychnovsky
        srychnov@...
      • kawaiibunny
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 14, 2003
          So that what he's spending the people's money on o.O No wonder the
          Iraqi people are looting his palaces.

          Ruby
        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 14, 2003
            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rychnovsky <srychnov@c...>
            wrote:

            > I respect Lois Bujold for working a lava lamp into her last Miles
            > book. Here is a challenge for you Lynn. Wouldn't a tasteful lava
            > lamp complement the decor in one of the houses along the street of
            > lights? you know, the one with the flattering black velvet painting
            > of Tamir the "Queen" of Rhiminee?

            That's what it evolves into after four centuries of urban development: the
            Street of Lava Lamps. They hve all the colors, after all.
          • Brett N. Meroney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 14, 2003
              This just poses oodles of new and interesting questions...

              Do elves wear platforms? Does Seregil's own love-shack have bean-
              bags? Does it have mirrored ceilings? Does he at least have a
              1970's pimp-stick? What's the equivalent of a low-rider Caddy with
              popping shocks in Tamir's Rhiminee? What would the story of Seregil
              be like if it were a 1970's Blacksploitation film?

              <hand on chin / thoughtful pondering expression>

              questions, questions, questions.... hmmm

              -Brett

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 14, 2003
                gamemstr@... writes:

                > Do elves wear platforms? Does Seregil's own love-shack have bean-
                > bags? Does it have mirrored ceilings? Does he at least have a
                > 1970's pimp-stick? What's the equivalent of a low-rider Caddy with
                > popping shocks in Tamir's Rhiminee? What would the story of Seregil
                > be like if it were a 1970's Blacksploitation film?

                I've just been howling at the thought of Alec and Seregil as 400 year old
                ageing hippies in kaftans rofl...

              • whetner
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 15, 2003
                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                  > **I'm betting there's a fondue pot there somewhere, too.**

                  Hey, don't knock fondue pots. I have fond affection for my friend's
                  chocolate fondue pot. :D

                  -Sherene
                • Scott Rychnovsky
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 15, 2003
                    Is your friend's fondue pot good for more than one batch of fondue?
                    I find chocolate rather fragile and prone to unpredictable evaporation

                    -Scott

                    >--- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                    >> **I'm betting there's a fondue pot there somewhere, too.**
                    >
                    >Hey, don't knock fondue pots. I have fond affection for my friend's
                    >chocolate fondue pot. :D
                    >
                    >-Sherene

                    Scott Rychnovsky
                    srychnov@...
                    ATM Page: http://tlepage.home.mindspring.com/
                  • claudia wohlfeil
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2003
                      Fondue pots are making a comeback! There's even a
                      restaurant chain out there called the melting pot.
                      You can find one near you at www.meltinpot.com

                      Claudia
                      --- whetner <whetner@...> wrote:
                      > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn"
                      > <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                      > > **I'm betting there's a fondue pot there
                      > somewhere, too.**
                      >
                      > Hey, don't knock fondue pots. I have fond affection
                      > for my friend's
                      > chocolate fondue pot. :D
                      >
                      > -Sherene

                      > The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via
                      > the list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu
                      > on the left.
                      > Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm
                      > EST.
                      >
                      > Lynn's official web-site -
                      > www.sff.net/people/Lynn.Flewelling

                      > URL to this page:

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      http://search.yahoo.com
                    • whishastar
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Brett N. Meroney"
                        <gamemstr@e...> wrote:
                        > This just poses oodles of new and interesting questions...
                        >
                        > Do elves wear platforms? Does Seregil's own love-shack
                        have bean-
                        > bags? *snip*

                        All of that had me laughing harder than i had in a long time.
                        Thanks, i needed that. I think Lynn should definatly look in to that
                        topic..it has some real posibilities ^_^

                        As for road trips...if you're out on the west coast...come to
                        washington!!

                        -Tricia
                      • Firesong
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                          The weirdness does not end.... I get this spam mail these days...

                          "Get the Iraqi 'Most-Wanted' Deck of Playing Cards
                          Only $5.95 a Set!"

                          Fire

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                            Not sure how much you mean by a batch... she puts quite a lot in, and
                            we just had to blow out the candle or light it again, depending on
                            how much the chocolate cooled down. There was so much chocolate that
                            we ended up making dipped cookies from the leftovers.
                            -Sherene

                            wrote:
                            > Is your friend's fondue pot good for more than one batch of fondue?
                            > I find chocolate rather fragile and prone to unpredictable
                            evaporation

                            > -Scott
                          • whetner
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                              I got that spam too. We must be on the same junk mail list somewhere.
                              Helen, have you been selling our e-mail addresses again to fund your
                              Sims obsession? ;)

                              -Sherene

                              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Firesong <Firesong@w...> wrote:
                              > The weirdness does not end.... I get this spam mail these days...
                              >
                              > "Get the Iraqi 'Most-Wanted' Deck of Playing Cards
                              > Only $5.95 a Set!"
                              >
                              > Fire
                            • Scott Rychnovsky
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                                Hi Sherene,

                                Sorry for being obscure. The "chocolate fondue pot" is ambiguous
                                because it might be a pot used to make chocolate fondue or it might
                                be a fondue pot made of chocolate--much like the chocolate bunny you
                                might have consumed recently. I was just pointing out chocolate is
                                not a particularly good material for making pots. I like chocolate
                                fondue very well but I use a metal pot.

                                Oh well. :-{.

                                Happy Easter.

                                Scott

                                PS-I recently came across a dangerously easy recipe for chocolate
                                dipped strawberries. Nuke some good chocolate chips in the microwave
                                until they melt. Dip strawberries and set them on wax paper to cool.
                                Eat. Some things are too easy.

                                >Not sure how much you mean by a batch... she puts quite a lot in, and
                                >we just had to blow out the candle or light it again, depending on
                                >how much the chocolate cooled down. There was so much chocolate that
                                >we ended up making dipped cookies from the leftovers.
                                >-Sherene
                                >

                                >--- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rychnovsky <srychnov@c...>
                                >wrote:
                                >> Is your friend's fondue pot good for more than one batch of fondue?
                                >> I find chocolate rather fragile and prone to unpredictable
                                >evaporation
                                >>
                                > > -Scott

                                Scott Rychnovsky
                                srychnov@...
                              • Adrienne Rose (Rie Sheridan)
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                                  They would be interesting to see since the press has been
                                  making a big deal of how the military was using this tool
                                  to look for suspected leadership....

                                  Rie

                                  http://search.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                                    riewrites1@... writes:

                                    > They would be interesting to see since the press has been
                                    > making a big deal of how the military was using this tool
                                    > to look for suspected leadership....
                                    >
                                    > Rie
                                    > --- whetner <whetner@...> wrote:
                                    > > I got that spam too. We must be on the same junk mail
                                    > > list somewhere.
                                    > > Helen, have you been selling our e-mail addresses again
                                    > > to fund your
                                    > > Sims obsession? ;)
                                    > >
                                    > > -Sherene

                                    Lol... Give me time I haven't started paying for it yet ... Gulp the moment
                                    of truth is in a month or two... Ouch and I bought a third account last week
                                    lol.

                                    Let me know if anyone notices a huge increase in junk on the addies they use
                                    for this list though.

                                    I just logged out of evil online game and it says I've been playing for 365
                                    minutes wail.. and that was just this evening... doesn't count the three and
                                    a half hours after I woke up and the hmm few hours while eating lunch..
                                    and.... oh I had a couple of hours off to watch Harry Potter on dvd with my
                                    mom .. yay. Addiction therapy must be working lol.

                                    Helen....

                                    www.tso-bisto.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk My friend's website for British evil
                                    online game players sigh.. I'm the mad Helena of Rhiminee woman with dark
                                    hair on the front page, Storm is the slightly saner red headed Sim. Bits we
                                    are proud of dreaming up the Simoleon Rhapsody sigh. And the Sims we have
                                    loved and lost page.... Our Gan sigh... we miss him terribly. But he left us
                                    to play Dark Ages of Camelot and become an ankle biting midget deer...

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 20, 2003
                                      In a message dated 21/04/2003 00:52:47 GMT Daylight Time, HBrown9628@...
                                      writes:

                                      > www.tso-bisto.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk My friend's website for British evil
                                      > online game players sigh.. I'm the mad Helena of Rhiminee woman with dark
                                      > hair on the front page, Storm is the slightly saner red headed Sim. Bits
                                      > we
                                      > are proud of dreaming up the Simoleon Rhapsody sigh. And the Sims we have
                                      > loved and lost page.... Our Gan sigh... we miss him terribly. But he left
                                      > us
                                      > to play Dark Ages of Camelot and become an ankle biting midget deer...

                                      Almost forgot if you look at the member's bio page there's a bit on my Helena
                                      lol.. and if you click on the link to Storm and DJ's wedding photos you can
                                      see the Stag and Otter Narnia wedding chapel and a bit of the inside of the
                                      Tavern when they're cutting their cake... I'll get some more pics put up of
                                      the Tavern when I can :-). I love the place sigh... all wood, beams and bear
                                      rugs.. and mutant giant otters... people may claim they are carved, badly
                                      carved, bears but I know different they're giant mutant otters... and lots of
                                      deer antlers... oh and a special chair by the fire for our Lynn..

                                      your ever so slightly insane list mom...

                                      hi ho hi ho it's off to gnoming i go.........

                                      Helen

                                      ps to think I did an english degree to end up like this wail..... then
                                      perks up when she remembers storm has a psychology degree and she can't work
                                      out why we do it either lol...

                                    • Lynn
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 26, 2003
                                        --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "whishastar" <WhishaStar@h...> wrote:
                                        > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Brett N. Meroney"
                                        > <gamemstr@e...> wrote:
                                        > > This just poses oodles of new and interesting questions...
                                        > >
                                        > > Do elves wear platforms? Does Seregil's own love-shack
                                        > have bean-
                                        > > bags? *snip*
                                        >
                                        > All of that had me laughing harder than i had in a long time.
                                        > Thanks, i needed that. I think Lynn should definatly look in to that
                                        > topic..it has some real posibilities ^_^

                                        LOL! What a great thread to come home to! As I concieve of it, the Aurenfaie
                                        all shop at Scan and Ikea, but Seregil would definitely have an eclectic
                                        furnishing scheme, with lots of mink bedspreads, and yes--absolutely mirrors
                                        in the ceiling-- so he can judge his own performance, among other things.
                                        Lots of candles (not scented, he's allergic). Alec, on the other hand, would
                                        leave half cured animal pelts carelessly on the furniture and his dirty socks
                                        under the bed. He and Seregil would both have lots of messy projects
                                        littering the tables, too.

                                        More on this when the jetlag passes!