Re: Stormy weather

  • leafmirror2 <leafmirror2@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Johnson <jjohnson@i...> wrote:
      > Just don't invite the dwarves, or you'll never have oatcakes for
      > yourself.....
      >
      > Over 20 inches of snow Sunday night and Monday morning back home in
      > Aroostook County, where the first sign of spring for me (hitting sometime in
      > April....) would be the smell of the earth as the farmers started
      > preparations for the planting. Even (down south) here in Massachusetts, I
      > feel spring when I am digging into my own garden, checking the soil to see
      > what next the steps will be before planting, and I breathe deeply in the
      > aroma of the moist earth, as it waits to share life with us for another
      > year.
      >
      > Enjoy the oatcakes, Lynn.

      I think the Hobbits took the Elves' advice and went west over the sea. To
      Northern Maine. It looks like the Shire. Come to think of it, most of my relatives
      up there look like Hobbits.

      Lynn ;-)
    • yesterdayzgirl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2003
        In a message dated 2/5/2003 9:53:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, "leafmirror2 <
        leafmirror2@...>" writes:
        > Winter's back, and while in weak moments I may long for west coast three
        > season year's or Helen's Februray snowdrops, as I sit here with my toasty
        > brown oatcakes slathered in honey and butter and a nice hot cup of strong
        > tea, I know I wouldn't appreciate them nearly as much if the wind wasn't
        > beating on the roof and wrapping veils of snow across the windows. I might
        >
        > just build a fire and invite some hobbits over. ;-)
        > Lynn

        Almost reminds me of a Dar Williams song "Southern California Wants to be
        Western New York"...well, in reverse i guess. Definitely a song all upstate
        NYers would apreciate (http://www.darwilliams.net/music/mortalcity.html).
        ::grins::
        I'm also loving this winter. Finally got to use my cross-country skis. I
        love watching my dog bound through the snow looking like she's swimming. And
        it also means that the reservoir won't be just a muddy puddle this year. My
        only complaint is the cold and the fact that on the rare occasions that it
        gets above 10F it starts snowing again.

        Sara