Two Towers ***Spoiler Alert*** this is your final warning

  • leafmirror2 <leafmirror2@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 18, 2002
      Two words:

      See. It.

      (I've cross posted the following from my sff.net ng)

      You were warned. There be spoilers here.

      Christmas came early at the Flewelling house. Despite a killer cold,
      managed
      to do some more shopping, go to Tim's wrestling match at 4:30, Matt's
      orchestra
      concert at 7:30 and then we all said what the heck, the night's young
      and
      headed to Orchard Park to catch the 9:30 show of Two Towers. There
      was
      a sign up, saying that the 8 pm show had been sold out. We all got
      tickets, but
      the theater was full and we couldn't find five seats together.

      Overall, a great experience. I've always found the second book of the
      trilogy
      the hardest to get through, because Aragorn & Co and everyone they
      meet
      spend far too much time comparing pedigrees and trading sagas.
      Jackson
      cuts through that nicely and serves up some of the most spectacular
      battle
      scenes I've ever seen, and I've seen a *lot*!

      **I'd just like to take this opportunity to state that I wrote the
      battle
      scenes in "Hidden Warrior" days before I saw this film. We must have
      done
      the same research and it was awesome to see it come to life on
      screen.
      The Battle of Helms Deep, though not true to the book, is phenomenal.
      Battle on the walls, scaling ladders, cavalry charges, arrow volleys,
      infantry
      forming Roman turtles with their shields, mantelets, murder holes,
      rock
      throwing-- I was in heaven!

      I was very happy to see that they stayed mostly true to the Sam and
      Frodo
      storyline. The only complaint there has to do with Faramir, who was
      completely
      and utterly ruined, and for no apparent reason. This really puzzled
      me.
      He's Boromir-lite here, rather than the wiser brother who does the
      honorable
      thing. This leads to a frustrating and seemingly pointless detour to
      Osgiliath/
      Gondor--it's
      not all that clear. Dragged there against his will, Frodo nearly
      hands the
      ring over to a flying nazgul, and is foiled by good old Sam, whom he
      then
      nearly kills. *sigh*

      There were frequent instances of Our Heroes, esp Aragorn, being cast
      center
      stage at the expense of other characters who were far more heroic and
      proactive
      n the book, Theoden in particular. Treebeard and the ents also suffer
      from
      this directorial choice.

      My only other complaint is that Jackson filled in the void left by
      the Faramir
      misstep with more pointless romance between Aragorn and Arwen, all in
      dream
      sequences. This in turn leads to an even more pointless digression
      about
      Aragorn getting hurt and briefly separated from the others. The only
      good
      to come out of this is a bit of dialogue when he arrives at Helm's
      Deep.

      Legolas: You're late.
      Aragorn: *something brave in elvish
      Legolas: You look terrible.
      Me, in whispered aside to Doug: "So I'm still the prettiest!"

      But kudos for:
      Rohan, all of it, every single actor, set, costume, and bit of
      action. It's
      utterly realistic. (And it's apparent that the comb has not been
      introduced
      to this culture.) Look for familiar faces among the children at
      Helm's
      Deep. Peter Jackson's kids appear again, after playing hobbits in the
      first
      film. And I the only one who thought that Grima looked a lot like
      Gollum,
      as does Frodo by the end of the movie. Nice artistic detail, that.

      More kudos for the ents. They are great! Their part gets cut too, but
      what
      they do they do quite well. The scene at Isengard is excellent.
      Sadly, their
      part at helms deep is taken over by the very un-book arrival of
      elves, in
      addtion to the accurate eleventh hour arrival of Gandalf and the
      exiled
      Rohirim. Oh well, at least that pudgy, bitchy elf I dislike gets
      taken
      out.

      Gollum-- As other's have observed, he's worth the price of admission.
      CGI cleverly dubbed over an actual actor, he's quite realistic and
      the acting
      is great. The conversations he had with himself in the book are
      brilliantly
      realized here, as is his trademark way of speaking. Jackson shows us
      why
      Frodo tried to have faith in him for so long.

      Gimli is played for comic effect, perhaps too much, but there was
      some
      element
      of that in the book, and the friendship/rivalry between him and
      Legolas
      comes through well.

      Merry and Pip don't get a lot of play, but hopefully we'll see more
      of them
      later.

      Legolas is good, I think, but I'm not a pervy elf-fancier.

      Costuming: If they don't get the oscar for this, I'll be upset. It is
      magnificent
      in every aspect. Every race has it's own look, weapons, armor, helmet
      style.
      Amazing. Must be a true labor of love.

      So, other opinions?
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 6 1:23 PM
        >I hate the movie-related covers, but at least the pages stay in during
        >long car trip readings where the big red leather edition is too
        cumbersome!

        yeah same here. I love hard cover books...but only as long as they are
        just
        getting dusty (*G*) in my bookshelves. But especially on
        vacations/car/train
        they are just -as u say- too cumbersome. YOU can't -well you probably
        could-
        toss 'em quickly into your bag, squish/bend them till they are compfy to
        read
        in the various boring places one's travelling takes you.

        noerml