Re: [Flewelling] Re: HP 2 - Premiere reviews..

  • Jessica Fisher
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
      I thought it was a great adaptation -- then again, it drives me crazy when people adapt books to the screen and end up changing important plot points. When I'm a fan of a book and I want to see it in a movie, it's because I want to see the sets and the way the characters look, not because I want to see something new and different. I want my dialogue and my plot to be exactly the same.

      That said, some of the kids weren't the greatest actors, but hey, they're kids.

      And re: LotR, well, I really don't like Tolkein's writing style, so I liked the movie infinitely better than the book. That and obviously the author can't do anything about the adaptation, considering that he's dead.

      ~Jess

      On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:17:54 +0100
      Firesong <Firesong@...> wrote:

      > Well, I think the first HP movie kinda sucked (okay it was entertaining,
      > but not much more) ;-), but I loved the books. The movie is a perfect
      > example for aspiring film makers how NOT to adapt a book. IMO it is
      > partly due to the fact that the author had so much to say in the making
      > of the movie. She might be a good writer of books, but that doesn't make
      > her an expert on making movies. So we had a meddlesome author, a routine
      > worker in directing the movie, and a film company who probably had the
      > first action figures ready even before the casting began. Not a good
      > thing. I am very glad that LotR had such a thick-headed director, who
      > managed to make his movies HIS thing. The merchandise is another thing,
      > okay, but the movie stands as it is. Harry's problem was that nobody
      > really expected any loss of money. They did not have to prove themselves
      > as PJ had to.
      >
      > But all this said, I will of course watch HP2 *g*. Just for the pleasure
      > of seeing all these great actors in costumes ;-)) And maybe they have
      > done something better this time.
      >
      > Fire
      >

      > The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
      > Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

    • Kc2
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
        Kc2 <killerchuck2@...> wrote:
        Go JP!
        Kc

        <banging head repeatedly against brick wall in hopes of getting things working in right order again>

        JK Rawlings. JC Penney. _NOT_ JP Rawlings and JK Penney!!!!

        Sorry.

        Kc - who needs to pay better attention while multitasking

      • Firesong
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
          > And of course, Tolkien is dead. ;-) No meddling from beyond the
          > grave, eh?

          Lol, true, but as far as I remember Tolkien had a pretty relaxed
          attitude towards dramatisations of his books ;-). I'd like to think that
          he would not have meddled too much.

          > When I'm a fan of a book and I want to see it in a movie, it's because
          > I want to see the sets and the way the characters look, not because I
          > want to see something new and different. I want my dialogue and my
          > plot to be exactly the same.

          Well IMO that is exactly what can kill movie adaptation, not daring to
          change things. A movie must not be made for the readers alone, but for
          everyone, it has to stand by itself. the most important thing is to stay
          true to the spirit of the book. A movie should always be a piece of art
          that has the fingerprint of the director.

          Fire
        • Andrea Chavez
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002

            > Well IMO that is exactly what can kill movie
            > adaptation, not daring to
            > change things.

            Well, :-) IMHO, that is exactly what KILLS movie
            adaptations, they change too much.
            They change things all the time, practically every
            time! And usually it is worse!! That doesn't mean I
            don't enjoy the movie too, but almost always the book
            is better.
            (It is the nature of books and movies - books can be
            longer!!!)

            Still, I thought they did a great job with HP1 and I
            loved that it was quite faithful to the book. It had
            many changes in it for all of that...usually a time
            consideration, not enough time for a second quiddich
            match (more money I would think!) The tests to get to
            the stone were shortened and changed etc.

            Movie should be art, but if it adapting from another
            piece of art, it should be recognizible and not just
            borrow the title. (The Ethan Hawke version of Great
            Expectations....ICK! What did that thing have to do
            with Dickens??) If the director is hot on creating
            nothing but their own vision, they should not direct
            adapted books. Chris Columbus went out of his way to
            get JK's approval and be faithful to HER vision. For
            him, it was just the piece of art he wanted.

            Ok, I'm done! Back to Alec and Seregil!!
            Yeah, they probably would make Alec a girl or
            something, groan.....

            Andrea --also a little negative after the election
            results. grrrrr

            =====
            Andrea C

            "I always pass on good advice,
            It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • jjarbanas
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
              Lynn:

              > -or rather, suffered through--- the movie version of Anne
              > Rice's "Queen of the Damned". (Actually, I'd had no intention
              > of seeing it, but Doug secumbed to Aliya's costuming and rented
              > it. . .) "dreadful" is about the kindest thingI can say.

              Every time I see QotD at the video store, I try to imagine LoTR with
              Stuart Townsend as Aragorn, and... just... can't... <gah!> Luckily,
              PJ realized, too (and apparently PJ and ST clashed, as well), so out
              he went, and in came Viggo.

              Jill
            • Firesong
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
                We can agree to disagree here ;-)). If something makes people happy it
                cannot be a bad thing :-). It is mostly a matter of perspective.

                Fire

                On Mittwoch, November 6, 2002, at 07:15 , Andrea Chavez wrote:

                >> Well IMO that is exactly what can kill movie
                >> adaptation, not daring to
                >> change things.
                >
                > Well, :-) IMHO, that is exactly what KILLS movie
                > adaptations, they change too much.
                > They change things all the time, practically every
                > time! And usually it is worse!! That doesn't mean I
                > don't enjoy the movie too, but almost always the book
                > is better.
                > (It is the nature of books and movies - books can be
                > longer!!!)
                >
                > Still, I thought they did a great job with HP1 and I
                > loved that it was quite faithful to the book. It had
                > many changes in it for all of that...usually a time
                > consideration, not enough time for a second quiddich
                > match (more money I would think!) The tests to get to
                > the stone were shortened and changed etc.
                >
                > Movie should be art, but if it adapting from another
                > piece of art, it should be recognizible and not just
                > borrow the title. (The Ethan Hawke version of Great
                > Expectations....ICK! What did that thing have to do
                > with Dickens??) If the director is hot on creating
                > nothing but their own vision, they should not direct
                > adapted books. Chris Columbus went out of his way to
                > get JK's approval and be faithful to HER vision. For
                > him, it was just the piece of art he wanted.
                >
                > Ok, I'm done! Back to Alec and Seregil!!
                > Yeah, they probably would make Alec a girl or
                > something, groan.....
                >
                > Andrea --also a little negative after the election
                > results. grrrrr
                >

                > =====
                > Andrea C
                >
                > "I always pass on good advice,
                > It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

                > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                >
                > The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at
                > Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
                > Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Andrea Chavez
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
                  --- Firesong <Firesong@...> wrote:
                  > We can agree to disagree here ;-)). If something
                  > makes people happy it
                  > cannot be a bad thing :-). It is mostly a matter of
                  > perspective.

                  quite true!!

                  AC -- who is still wondering what the big deal was
                  about Ghost and can not comprehend the Austin Powers
                  movies at all....but lots of people love them, so they
                  must work for them!!

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 6, 2002
                    On Mittwoch, November 6, 2002, at 10:18 , Andrea Chavez wrote:

                    > AC -- who is still wondering what the big deal was
                    > about Ghost and can not comprehend the Austin Powers
                    > movies at all....but lots of people love them, so they
                    > must work for them!!

                    Try Austin Powers in the dubbed german version ... *argh*... Actually I
                    liked them somehow and in the first they didn't translate "oh behave"
                    and "shaggadelic". But they did in the second and that was unbearable,
                    plus they gave the funny woman at Dr Evil's side an eastern german
                    accent, which was even worse.
                    With AP I change between cringing and laughing, it is quite strange.

                    Fire
                  • whetner
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                      --- In Flewelling@y..., Firesong <Firesong@e...> wrote:
                      > The movie is a perfect
                      > example for aspiring film makers how NOT to adapt a book. IMO it is
                      > partly due to the fact that the author had so much to say in the
                      making
                      > of the movie. She might be a good writer of books, but that doesn't
                      make
                      > her an expert on making movies.

                      I was once in a lecture where W.P. Kinsella (who wrote Shoeless Joe,
                      the book that Field of Dreams was based on) said the one thing he
                      learned during the making of that movie is that novelists should let
                      go of their book, let the movie people make the movie, and just sit
                      back and hope for the best.

                      Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't.

                      -Sherene
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                        In a message dated 11/6/02 6:18:53 PM GMT Standard Time, achavez47@...
                        writes:

                        > . Chris Columbus went out of his way to
                        > get JK's approval and be faithful to HER vision. For
                        > him, it was just the piece of art he wanted.

                        Well I think they daren't have changed anything too much , all the kids knew
                        the books off by heart <g>.

                        > Ok, I'm done! Back to Alec and Seregil!!
                        > Yeah, they probably would make Alec a girl or
                        > something, groan.....

                        Yeah... Get it made in Britain though <g>.

                        > Andrea --also a little negative after the election
                        > results. grrrrr

                        Two of my American friends are muttering about emigrating to Canada <g>.

                      • yesterdayzgirl@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                          In a message dated 11/7/2002 4:13:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, "leafmirror2" <
                          leafmirror2@...> writes:

                          > As adaptatioins go, I thought HP was quite faithful over all. I recently
                          > watched-
                          > -or rather, suffered through--- the movie version of Anne Rice's "Queen of
                          > the
                          > Damned". (Actually, I'd had no intention of seeing it, but Doug secumbed
                          > Aliya's costuming and rented it. . .) "dreadful" is about the kindest
                          > thingI can
                          > say. From a storytelling perspective, they absolutly gutted the plot. I
                          > can't
                          > imagine what someone who hadn't read the book would make of it. Too silly

                          I wholeheartedly agree. QotD has got to be the worst adaptation ever. I think
                          I could have tolerated it if they had called it "the Vampire Lestat" since
                          they used more plot from that movie than they did from "Queen of the Damned".
                          Most of what they did include was absolutely confusing, even having read the
                          books! I wish so much that they had included the other old vampires instead
                          of just showing them in the background at the end.

                          It's the sort of movie that makes me glad, at least artistically, that my
                          > book have not been movie-ized. You know very well that the Seregil&Alec
                          > aspect would be the first thing to go.

                          Okay, I have to relay a conversation I had today. One of the girls at work is
                          absolutely in love with Legolas from LOTR. We have spent way too much time
                          discussing "the blonde elf" to the annoyance of others. I also love taunting
                          her by insisting that in the books, Legolas ends up "traveling" with Gimli
                          the dwarf after the War of the Ring and eventually goes over the sea with him
                          to live together happily ever after. ::grins:: "happy GAY blonde elf". I'm so
                          evil sometimes. So then I got to thinking of other blonde archers she may
                          enjoy and explained some of LITS to her. Of course to reassure her I said
                          "well, he's not really gay until the second book!" and that once she reads
                          about Alec and Seregil she'll absolutely fall in love with them. hehehe got
                          another recruit for you!

                          Sara

                          "In the laughing times we know that we are lucky, And in the quiet times we
                          know that we are blessed. And we will not be alone anymore." - Dar Williams

                          Sara online - http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/cedara

                        • Kc2
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                            yesterdayzgirl@... wrote:
                            >once she reads about Alec and Seregil she'll >absolutely fall in love with them. hehehe got
                            >another recruit for you!
                            >
                            >Sara

                            In fact, make that two more recruits! On Monday I had a CAT Scan done and had to put on one of those ever-so-lovely gowns which leaves (at least) a portion of your body revealed no matter what you do! While donning said gown I found myself alone in the dressing room - with a blaring television. Being easily annoyed by said idiot-box, I turned the volume completely down and sat down to whittle away the time with most recent read I brought along with me. A bit of time passed and another patient entered the dressing room. After a few minutes of sitting quietly, I began to feel guilty for depriving my temporary roomie of the nuances of electronic entertainment and offered to turn up the volume for her, explaining my own tastes simply ran to quieter pursuits.

                            Fortunately, she emphatically declined, saying she was "a reader" and rarely watched television. We - naturally - launched into a discussion of what we like to read. I must admit to being annoyed (even miffed) when she said she likes to read _all_ kinds of books, but then corrected herself when I told her I prefer fantasy genre. ("Oh. I don't read _those_ kinds of books.")

                            By the time I finished with her, she had all the titles and Lynn's name written on her handy-dandy notebook extracted from her rather large purse - along with the promise to give them a whirl. Ha!

                            The second recruit came tonight, during a telephone call with a solictor from Columbia House. I freely admit I've been a member of both their music and video clubs for quite some time. When he made me an offer I couldn't refuse - to include the soundtrack from LotR (free and no postage or handling) - we launched into a discussion of reading preferences .... because I was explaining how I prefer music without words so I can enjoy music without the distraction of words while I am writing ... He mentioned how he and his girlfriend both read fantasy, but had not heard of our Lynn! I gasped and immediately insisted he write down the titles and author's name immediately, or I would not go forward with the sale. Hmpf! He was amused, but agreed and even promised to email me with his impressions.

                            I feel positively giddy with joy, knowing others will soon be enjoying the same wonderful world of Seregil, Alec, Tobin, et al - as all of us here do.

                            Kc - wondering who else might be lurking around the next corner that she can introduce to our favorite author

                          • Andrea Chavez
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 7, 2002
                              Good Job!
                              I'm impressed -- striking up a conversation and
                              "selling" books while half dressed. well done!
                              Andrea

                              =====
                              Andrea C

                              "I always pass on good advice,
                              It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

                              http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                            • leafmirror2
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 8, 2002
                                LOL! I am loving the "recruitment" stories. Are we becoming a cult?

                                Helen, the S&O sounds great. I wish I could visit and sit in the comfy chair, but
                                the demo is only in PCish and our computer doesn't currently have enough
                                free memory to run it, darn the luck.

                                Lynn :-)

                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 8, 2002
                                  In a message dated 11/8/02 12:36:20 PM GMT Standard Time, leafmirror2@...
                                  writes:

                                  > LOL! I am loving the "recruitment" stories. Are we becoming a cult?

                                  Oh yes.... <g>..

                                  > Helen, the S&O sounds great. I wish I could visit and sit in the comfy
                                  > chair, but
                                  > the demo is only in PCish and our computer doesn't currently have enough
                                  > free memory to run it, darn the luck.
                                  >
                                  > Lynn :-)

                                  You'll have to visit one day, it would be hilarious.. Especially with me
                                  drooling sadly over my polar bear rug, a pathetic sight <g>.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 8, 2002
                                    >You'll have to visit one day, it would be hilarious.. Especially with
                                    me
                                    >drooling sadly over my polar bear rug, a pathetic sight <g>.

                                    hihi...what an image that creates...i must not think of it!...argh...
                                    gee...so funny *G*

                                    noerml crowing fat on his gloating ;-)